Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2024, 08:19 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
They probably just don't want to use WhatsApp or any other app designed for teenagers. Stop trying to push your preferences on them and be glad they answer when you call.
WhatsApp is simply calling or texting. You are mixing it up with apps that actually are popular among teenagers. It's not social media.

WhatsApp is great because it is free and international. For instance, if I took my phone to Germany, I wouldn't be able to make regular calls or texts until I had installed a new SIM card. My phone would be useless. But I can still use WhatsApp to call or text, wherever I am, the minute I step off the plane into another country.

If someone doesn't hear or answer my call on WhatsApp, they wouldn't answer my call through AT&T either. So maybe stop giving the OP such a hard time for simply wanting to communicate with his parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 09:16 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ugh. I consider myself to be pretty tech savvy, and I do use my cell phone and watch every single day (connected). HOWEVER, they are fairly new ANDROIDS. Say it ain't so! Hey, they are the same operating system as my laptop, which I am on right now! LOL

My husband who was in his mid sixties, HATED his Apple phone, so he really resisted using it. He had to get one for work (now he wouldn't have to, but he's deceased), and still used his personal Android phone for personal use. Only used the Apple phone for work. Absolutely detested it.

I love my Android phone but I may eventually trade it in for an Apple, who knows. Meanwhile, they are both "smart phones." All it seems to mean now is that we are all 100 percent accessible all the time. Hey, I remember party lines, rotary phones, pay phones, all that jive! Also, records and record players (including Victrolas, though they were before my time), Atari's, and the old Mario Brothers, 8 track tape players, VCRs that cost a month's pay, Blockbuster, dial up internet, tape players and cassette tapes, CDs, you name it. Now my lap top, which is five years old, is older than dirt.
My laptop is only four. LOL. Some of the letters are worn off the keyboard, and every once in the while the fan starts making a noise and I have to hit the area above the keyboard to make it stop. I imagine it's not long for this world.

I have an Android personal phone and an iPhone for work. Not thrilled with the iPhone, and I had the tech guy put my work email on my personal phone, so I hardly use the work one.

Old 02-04-2024, 09:34 AM

730 posts, read 464,297 times
Just don’t forget to be patient with them. I’m 62, and my youngest who I had a little later in life loses patience with me. That doesn’t help at all! It makes me even more frustrated and unable to understand what he’s trying to teach me.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:37 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert42 View Post
I am currently trying to get my parents regularly use and wear the iPhone I bought for them. Any tips and tricks how to make them wear it more often and therefore answer my calls?
"Wear" the phone you bought them? How do you wear a phone? Do you mean at home, or when they go out? (Purse, pocket, whatever.) I ask bc I've missed calls at home, due to the phone being on a different floor than I'm at when it rings. Are you supposed to strap these things to yourself nearly 24/7? Help me out here, OP.

Old 02-04-2024, 10:52 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert42 View Post
Currently I call them every now and then to see how they are doing. But of course it would be nice to sometimes just sent them a WhatsApp... if they would respond (i.e. use their phones a little more often). My parents are 69 and 71.
why not just text?

Old 02-04-2024, 10:54 AM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
So I'm pretty tech-savvy, and I'm not as old as your parents, but WhatsApp is just stupid and annoying.
I've checked it out once and that was enough.

And yes OP - I used to write programs and things like that when I was younger - just not into that now in my 60s - maybe they just want to relax.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:02 AM

256 posts, read 114,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Are you supposed to strap these things to yourself nearly 24/7?
People are prisoners of their phones...that's why they are called "cell" phones.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:04 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
"Wear" the phone you bought them? How do you wear a phone?

Are you supposed to strap these things to yourself nearly 24/7?
Yes; like a prison ankle bracelet. So there is no escape. Only the prisoners don't realize they are imprisoned.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:05 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
why not just text?
Or email? I've had people throw up their hands, roll their eyes, and moan, "Oh, I haven't emailed in YEARS!" Okay, but that doesn't mean they couldn't.

Old 02-04-2024, 11:06 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
"Wear" the phone you bought them? How do you wear a phone? Do you mean at home, or when they go out? (Purse, pocket, whatever.) I ask bc I've missed calls at home, due to the phone being on a different floor than I'm at when it rings. Are you supposed to strap these things to yourself nearly 24/7? Help me out here, OP.
My 85-year-old mother in law wears hers on a cord around her neck. She is alone a lot, needs a walker, and if she fell, definitely could not get up. So having the phone with her at all times is a really good idea.

I suppose you could call it being a prisoner of the phone, but better than being a prisoner in your house when you fell on the bathroom floor and could do nothing but just lie there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Grandparents