Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 07:46 AM

2,217 posts, read 1,392,009 times

Advertisements

I think in Austin there are two big factors here: 1.) The workers downtown are mostly in government and tech, both have which have leaned hard into hybrid schedules. Tue-Thursday is more packed than ever but on Monday and Friday the traffic is *much* lighter. 2.) while nightlife has fully recovered in a general sense, rising rents and condo development have pushed a lot of nightlife outside of the boundaries of "downtown" (and this article has an especially strict definition of downtown). Overall things feel fairly healthy, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 10:50 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
They're trying to define a "core office district" (my words), not really "downtown."

Old 04-11-2024, 01:04 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
I'm not surprised to see Chicago towards the bottom of the list. The loop which it defines as downtown has been seriously struggling post covid. You used to have lines out the door for dining options during lunch, now many of the lunch spots have started to close.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:09 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
I'm not surprised to see Chicago towards the bottom of the list. The loop which it defines as downtown has been seriously struggling post covid. You used to have lines out the door for dining options during lunch, now many of the lunch spots have started to close.
I must say, I visited Chicago for the first time in November, and I was excited to check out Michigan Ave. I was sorely disappointed with the lack of energy. It was quite dead for a place of its size.
Gorgeous city for sure, but I was expecting more hustle-and-bustle on the ground.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:36 PM

2,693 posts, read 3,186,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
There was a very "doom and gloom" WSJ article yesterday on downtown St. Louis.

The Real Estate Nightmare Unfolding in Downtown St. Louis
The office district is empty, with boarded up towers, copper thieves and failing retail—even the Panera outlet shut down. The city is desperately trying to reverse the ‘doom loop.’

[url]https://www.wsj.com/real-estate/commercial/doom-loop-st-louis-44505465?mod=hp_lead_pos7[/url
That section of downtown St. Louis continues to be a problem, but it also predated Covid by years. We're allegedly supposed to have redevelopment plans for the AT&T Building and the Railway Exchange Building later this year.

Also, it's a bit annoying that the writer just causally threw out there at the end of the article that other parts of downtown are doing well, but then didn't really elaborate on them.

Old 04-12-2024, 07:44 AM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I must say, I visited Chicago for the first time in November, and I was excited to check out Michigan Ave. I was sorely disappointed with the lack of energy. It was quite dead for a place of its size.
Gorgeous city for sure, but I was expecting more hustle-and-bustle on the ground.
Yea, it's a shame. It used to be shoulder to shoulder on the sidewalks. Unfortunate side effect from covid and work from home.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:51 AM

12,879 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Charleston’s downtown hit pre-pandemic foot traffic in 2021. It’s more bonkers than ever now. City pop 156,000+, MSA 849,000+

https://www.counton2.com/news/king-s...ic-levels/amp/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.