Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2024, 10:42 PM

5,517 posts, read 8,763,919 times

Advertisements

Because OP is from China, I suspect that his worries are colored be conditions of West coast cities like SF, LA, Seattle, and Portland, where the congregation of homeless/druggies is in your face if you wander into the wrong places. (Philly too in the East.) But even in these cities these concentrations take up relatively little land — there are plenty of normal, safe, ordinary neighborhoods. In most US cities the big open air drug markets, and especially the homeless, tend to be dispersed in smaller areas away from where most residents live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2024, 11:42 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 4 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,158 times
I think a lot of homeless in NYC hang out in Central Park. Maybe not camps per se, but that is where they hang out and sleep (on benches).

Old 04-07-2024, 08:52 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,739,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
For DC - maybe the area around Gallery Place / Chinatown (some alleyways were well known open air drug market), but even there the things are much tamer than the likes of Kensington.

Pretty sure part of SoDo in Seattle has some concentration, as is the long time concentration around Old Town / Chinatown, Skidmore Fountains, and under Burnside Bridge in Portland OR.
Gallery Place/Chinatown has been completely cleared out. The city established a “drug free zone” which doesn’t allow people to loiter which is really what this discussion is about.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:25 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g500 View Post
I think a lot of homeless in NYC hang out in Central Park. Maybe not camps per se, but that is where they hang out and sleep (on benches).
I guess this would only be a late night thing? I can’t imagine the place being full of homeless during the day when it’s filled with entertainers, vendors, people playing soccer, police, etc. I haven’t noticed this during my recent walks through there.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:40 PM

271 posts, read 293,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Because OP is from China, I suspect that his worries are colored be conditions of West coast cities like SF, LA, Seattle, and Portland, where the congregation of homeless/druggies is in your face if you wander into the wrong places. (Philly too in the East.) But even in these cities these concentrations take up relatively little land — there are plenty of normal, safe, ordinary neighborhoods. In most US cities the big open air drug markets, and especially the homeless, tend to be dispersed in smaller areas away from where most residents live.
Also probably colored by CCP propaganda, which exaggerates US domestic issues to convince their citizens that the US is a terrible place to live.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:39 AM

40 posts, read 22,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
'Drug user paradise' is a pretty comical way of phrasing it. The media has sensationalized this issue for a few years now, though it is true that an opiate epidemic continues to exist. It's just that the vast, vast majority of that use is occurring in private, not on the street or in other public spaces
Sorry for my poor English.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:11 AM

1,066 posts, read 783,680 times
OP: Almost every major city in the world has an illicit drug trade, including in China. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illega...trade_in_China )

The main issue the US is dealing with at the moment is the Fentanyl, which is killing thousands here annually. The vast majority of the Fentanyl trade originates as precursor chemicals produced in China that are exported to Mexico where drug cartels produce Fentanyl for the US market.

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/fi...20States_0.pdf

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF10890

Cities on the West Coast (Los Angels, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle) have more of what you've called "drug user paradise" (personally, I think hell is a better description). This is largely due to a lager, more visible, issue of homelessness. Homeless drug addicts don't have privacy to hide their drug use, so you're more likely to see people on the street shooting up or otherwise using in such areas.

So what you're really asking about are cities with high rates of unsheltered homeless, which varies greatly across the US ( https://www.brookings.edu/articles/h...and-downtowns/ ) This means you'll find what you describe in places like SF and Seattle, and much less so in Boston and New York City.

So, no, your perception of this as a uniform problem across the entire US isn't accurate.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I myself has not visited the US in person, and I saw numerous videos showing the messy streets full of homeless and druggies. So my guess is maybe 20%-30% of the streets of major US cities are like this .

Thanks for telling me the truth.

Old 04-13-2024, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondbreakfast View Post
Also probably colored by CCP propaganda, which exaggerates US domestic issues to convince their citizens that the US is a terrible place to live.
Not by CCP, in fact the state medias never cover such things.
But by individual vlogers. some footages are directly excerpted from foreign countries

Old 04-13-2024, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post
OP: Almost every major city in the world has an illicit drug trade, including in China. ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illega...trade_in_China )

The main issue the US is dealing with at the moment is the Fentanyl, which is killing thousands here annually. The vast majority of the Fentanyl trade originates as precursor chemicals produced in China that are exported to Mexico where drug cartels produce Fentanyl for the US market.

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/fi...20States_0.pdf

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF10890

Cities on the West Coast (Los Angels, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle) have more of what you've called "drug user paradise" (personally, I think hell is a better description). This is largely due to a lager, more visible, issue of homelessness. Homeless drug addicts don't have privacy to hide their drug use, so you're more likely to see people on the street shooting up or otherwise using in such areas.

So what you're really asking about are cities with high rates of unsheltered homeless, which varies greatly across the US ( https://www.brookings.edu/articles/h...and-downtowns/ ) This means you'll find what you describe in places like SF and Seattle, and much less so in Boston and New York City.

So, no, your perception of this as a uniform problem across the entire US isn't accurate.
Thank you for your effort to explaination of my question, and the information reference. I have now a better understanding of the issue.

I am still wondering if China should be blamed for drug abuse in the US. Why the producing of precusor chemicals does not generate so many druggies in China itself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.