Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2023, 03:29 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,987,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
The tallest building in Juneau, AK is the 9 floor federal building, constructed in 1964.

Obviously it's a consequence of Alaska becoming a US state in 1958.
Mendenhall Tower, an apartment building, is at 12 stories, btw (although it's on a hill while the Federal Building isn't, so it kind of looks like its height is partially just the hill)

https://resource.rentcafe.com/image/..._web_2_new.jpg

Juneau has a pretty solid skyline for a city of 32,000, all considered, even for being a state capital. Our capital, Olympia, isn't bad, but it's a city of 56,000 anchoring a county of 300k.

Last edited by TheTimidBlueBars; 12-05-2023 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 03:39 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,889,291 times
Memphis' Tallest Building is actually Abandoned, well until recently, they're trying to retro fit it

"Work officially underway to revitalize Memphis’ tallest building"
https://www.actionnews5.com/2023/11/...lest-building/

Old 12-05-2023, 05:21 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
In West Seattle, my "borough" of the city, I believe the tallest one is the Alaska House, a 9-story low-income housing complex. (I thought there might be a hospital I was forgetting, but the closest one is in the suburb of Burien.)

https://www.lowincomehousing.us/gall...1622606723.jpg

I suppose it illustrates that people in this part of the city who can afford high-rise living largely don't want it. We may look down on the rest of the city because they retain the edge and iconoclasm we've never had, but we will be looking down from 4 feet off the ground.
I often think of West Seattle as an inner streetcar suburb. It's separated from the rest of the city by a long bridge and just doesn't feel like you're in a big city. I do love the walkability and neighborhood scale of the California Ave neighborhoods and Alki Beach, and the more laid-back, friendly vibe, but it just has a very sleepy and different feel from much of the rest of the city. It's the most balkanized area of a very balkanized city, if that makes sense.

That said, I'm surprised there isn't a taller building in the Alaska Junction area than nine stories.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:23 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Miami, Florida

Building : Panorama Tower
District : Brickell
Height : 866 Feet | 264 Meters
# of Floors : 81 Stories
Year Built : 2018
Bldg. Use : Residential

The Panorama Tower is located in Miami's bayside neighborhood of Brickell directly south of Downtown and is the Tallest Residential skyscraper south of Manhattan on the US East coast.

* As for what this building says about Miami is that it's a city that has embraced Highrise & City living as part of it's DNA unlike most American cities where their tallest building is a Office tower that doesn't function after 5 PM.

Old 12-05-2023, 07:01 PM

858 posts, read 694,031 times
Washington DC

Building : Old Post Office Pavilion
District : Federal Triangle
Height : 315 Feet | 96 Meters
# of Floors : 12 Stories
Year Built : 1999
Bldg. Use : Hotel (Waldorf Astoria)

This building is the tallest in the city proper when you don't include the Washington Monument or the Catholic University shrine (which are more of structures). The building is wide and is topped by a clock tower with an observation deck. This is one of the highlights of DC's mid-rise city-scape that exists due to height regulations, and gives the downtown a very welcoming and human-scale feeling similar to Paris.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:26 PM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,678 times
The tallest in St Louis is the 630-foot stainless steel-clad Gateway Arch. The iconic Arch represents The Gateway To The West and is the tallest man-made monument in the western hemisphere. Contrary to urban lore, it’s not true that there’s some ordinance in St Louis against building a taller structure than the Arch in the city—it just hasn’t been done. Yet.
A little bit of trivia: Directly across the Mississippi River from the Arch, on the East St Louis riverfront, is the Gateway Geyser, the tallest water fountain in the US, capable of rising 630 feet— matching the Arch in height.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:17 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,618,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey the Otter View Post
Washington DC

Building : Old Post Office Pavilion
District : Federal Triangle
Height : 315 Feet | 96 Meters
# of Floors : 12 Stories
Year Built : 1999
Bldg. Use : Hotel (Waldorf Astoria)

This building is the tallest in the city proper when you don't include the Washington Monument or the Catholic University shrine (which are more of structures). The building is wide and is topped by a clock tower with an observation deck. This is one of the highlights of DC's mid-rise city-scape that exists due to height regulations, and gives the downtown a very welcoming and human-scale feeling similar to Paris.
Washington DC gets a "Pass" because the way it was designed not to obscure it's Government buildings.

It's ironic though that it's tallest the Waldorf-Astoria will also be the brand that will make Miami's Tallest as well.

Old 12-06-2023, 02:33 AM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The tallest building here in New York City is now "One World Trade Center," at 1,776 feet high. Finished construction in 2014, it symbolizes endurance, strength and resilience of NYC and the global power that it has.

In recent years, many supertalls have been completed in NYC: with Central Park Tower, at 1,550 feet, being completed in 2021, and the world's most slender skyscraper at 1,428 feet high, located at 111 West 57th street, finished in 2022.

I suspect in the next decade or two, "One World Trade Center" will be surpassed by another skyscraper as the city's tallest. Could be even sooner than that.

Brooklyn recently has added a supertall to the list, with the Brooklyn Tower being finished last year in 2022, and rising to 1,073 feet.

Queens is also getting into the skyscraper mix, with a boom going on in Long Island City over the course of the past decade, and their new tallest tower, at 811 feet, is under construction.

I suspect the Bronx may eventually build a "new tallest." There is fast gentrification happening on the south Bronx waterfront, and several luxury residential towers of 20-30 stories have recently been built. I would not be surprised if a 500-600 foot tall building went up in the next few years there.
I thought the NYC council passed a bill that no other building within Manhattan could be taller (just out of reverence to 9/11 and the meaning behind the "Freedom Tower").

Unless that was just discussed and not passed, but I had heard that multiple times while building in NYC.

Old 12-06-2023, 03:19 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Pittsburgh's US Steel tower (840') Has an exoskeleton and is sheathed in Corten Steel which is a non rust steel developed by US Steel Corp. The building was the largest constructed outside of NYC and Chicago in the 1970's and still has the largest occupied floor space @ 1 acre per floor. The US Steel Tower still has the largest and highest rooftop.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4401...8192?entry=ttu

Pittsburgh corporations uses corporate headquarters as advertisements. You have PPG Place clad in glass and the Alcoa building clad in aluminum.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4398...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4405...8192?entry=ttu
One small correction and one clarification...

CORRECTION: The U.S. Steel Tower is 841' tall, not 840'.

CLARIFICATION: The U.S. Steel Tower still has the largest roof in the world at its height or higher.

As for what the U.S. Steel Tower stands for, it's a reminder that Pittsburgh literally built the United States into the superpower it's become. (Alas, no good deed goes unpunished.)

Old 12-06-2023, 07:41 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,962,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
The tallest in St Louis is the 630-foot stainless steel-clad Gateway Arch. The iconic Arch represents The Gateway To The West and is the tallest man-made monument in the western hemisphere. Contrary to urban lore, it’s not true that there’s some ordinance in St Louis against building a taller structure than the Arch in the city—it just hasn’t been done. Yet.
A little bit of trivia: Directly across the Mississippi River from the Arch, on the East St Louis riverfront, is the Gateway Geyser, the tallest water fountain in the US, capable of rising 630 feet— matching the Arch in height.
The tallest building in St. Louis is Metropolitan Square. 593 ft. 42 floors built in 1989. https://www.onemetropolitansquare.com/amenities.html Lots of amenities. I haven't been there in a long time so I don't know how up to date their website is.

It represents St. Louis and where the region is and heading in the future.

Hopefully we will get a new tallest but I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.