Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hottest state?
Texas 70 22.65%
Louisiana 11 3.56%
Alabama 3 0.97%
Mississsippi 3 0.97%
Georgia 2 0.65%
Florida 67 21.68%
South Carolina 3 0.97%
Arizona 144 46.60%
New Mexico 3 0.97%
Arkansas 3 0.97%
Voters: 309. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 05:18 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't buy Bullheads reading just based on the fact that it is slightly higher up and further north than Needles, prob really has the same 111° as Needles
Bullhead is a more urban area with more infrastructure and urban heat island. Perhaps that can account for that 1 degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 05:29 PM

163 posts, read 165,376 times
Look at all the people saying Texas; I guess they have no clue about climate or geography after all. With the exception of possibly NM, all of the desert SW states are hotter in summer than much of Texas is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm going with Texas because almost all of the state is miserably hot during the summer months.

Although the temperatures may be hotter in Arizona, you can escape the heat by moving to a place like Flagstaff. There is no escaping the heat in Texas unless you are inside.
Immediate Gulf coastal areas of the state have strong sea-breeze/cloud cover/rain to alleviate whatever heat/humidity is present (which isn't much, since they average only 80s for highs). Also, places in the high plains (Amarillo, for instance), and in the far western Pecos (Chiscos, Big Bend) average 80s for highs as well; both areas lack humidity, and, thus, will feel quite cool.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Using the word "hottest" vs. "warmest" suggests to me that the topic is about the very hottest Summer weather. I could be wrong but that's how I read it. For example, I never hear anyone ask "Who has the hottest Winter?" It's almost always "Who has the warmest Winter?"
Regarding why AZ is leading this poll may have to do with the actual experiences of those who live in the states and how it's reported. If AZ's population was concentrated in the cooler parts of the states, we'd hear those temps reported on a daily basis during the Summer. As it stands, the vast majority of the people in AZ live in the hottest parts of the state so that's what we hear and, frankly, what most Arizonans experience.
That said, I've lived through both Miami and Houston Summers and I'll take the Miami Summer over the Houston Summer 10 times out of 10. I've never been to Louisiana for the Summer but I suspect that I'd find it equally as as stifling but without the air pollution of Houston.
Houston's air pollution is going down by alot: the energy industry is getting cleaner, and the city is being more attentive to the environment around its city. in 2015, Houston was #6 for ozone; a year later, and it doesn't make top ten anymore:
Most Polluted Cities | American Lung Association

Old 09-22-2016, 08:37 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,883,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm looking at Texas weather and heat index is still in the 100s, ten days from October. Pretty normal for these parts, or at least not unusual. Is it the hottest state overall?
Not normal based on historical averages, but becoming more normal with time, unfortunately.

General comment: Texas has many climates, ranging from climates similar to southern Florida in the southern Rio Grande Valley to midwestern type climates with cold, sometimes snowy winters in the Panhandle. The mountains in west Texas also have their own climates, of course.

Old 09-23-2016, 02:58 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I voted Texas partly because I was not familiar with all the other states.I also chose Texas because virtually all of the state is hot during the summer.The cities like DFW,Houston,San Antone and Austin have lower average highs than the southwest like another poster said but you have humidity that makes it feel much worse.I know the Southwestern Deserts have the hottest averages but its with very low humidity and Arizona and California have many climates that are cooler.New Mexico's deserts get hot but of course not Arizona hot and there's lots of mountain ranges there that cool in the summer time.Here in my part of Texas,my fellow Texans go to places like Ruidoso and Cloudcroft to cool off.The Texans in the Texaplex aint so lucky.
-WT

Old 09-23-2016, 07:32 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,878,914 times
TEXAS SUMMER WEATHER IS MISERABLE. I take Southwest heat over Texas anyday.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:41 PM

SW heat is much worse than Texas heat, even if it is dry. The temps in the Desert SW can reach over 110F, just way too much heat. Even with humid heat, much of Texas still gets lower heat indices than the dry Desert SW.

Humidity seems to be a boogey man for the layman, but anyone who actually pays attention to weather/climate would see that Texas/Southeast is much more bearable than the Lower SW.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:30 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
The "hottest" state I've been to was Arizona/ Nevada. But Florida was the most miserable place I ever been to, Texas is bad but not nearly as bad as S. Florida. I still like Florida but that humidity was a killer. Lol...

Old 09-24-2016, 12:02 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Yada yada yada - these sorts of "damn, it's hot in Texas" (or fill in the blank with any southern or southwestern state) always crop up about this time of year.

People forget that while some folks are still shoveling snow and dealing with heaps of dirty frozen stuff piled up everywhere, and still scraping ice and snow off their cars every single morning, Texans and other southerners are outside in shorts and T shirts and beautiful balmy sunshine, working in their gardens.

It's just a trade off - and anywhere you live you get to have a trade off of sorts. Yes, the southern states are hot from the middle of June through September - 3 or 4 months or so of pretty intense heat (that's why God invented air conditioning!). But our winters and springs and late autumns - in other words 8 months out of the year - are full of sunshine, brilliant blue skies, and clean fresh breezes. And you can throw in some pretty spectacular thunderstorms for spice!

If you don't live in a place with at least one uncomfortable season, then you're paying out the wazoo when it comes to cost of living, so there's your trade off.

Meanwhile, here in Texas, the last week of September, a cold front is moving in Monday and our daytime temps will be in the 80s and night time temps in the 50s. The term used for nearly every day next week? SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY SUNNY. In other words, big blue skies, brilliant sunshine, and very pleasant temperatures.

To everything there is a season. Our season of porch sitting, fire pits, hot tubs, and cute scarves and boots is just around the corner. And thankfully we won't have to shovel snow to get out the door in the morning in January and February...and March...

Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I don't buy Bullheads reading just based on the fact that it is slightly higher up and further north than Needles, prob really has the same 111° as Needles
You don't buy Bullhead City climate data just because it is slightly farther north and at a slightly higher elevation than Needles....Blythe and Parker are cooler and they are farther south and lower.

Here is the 1981-2010 Climate Normals for July....

Bullhead City ...avg July high 112.2 F ....avg July low 80.1 F

Needles ..........avg July high 108.8 F .....avg July low 82.8 F

VERDICT ....both hot as hell.....

Bullhead avg highs hotter.....Needles avg lows warmer

Needles weather station is at the airport, not sure about Bullhead City.

I voted Texas.....most of it's land mass has long hot summers with avg highs over 90F
Unlike other hot states, even Arizona has a lot of relatively cool sections,
same with California.

Florida is a contender but does not quite has that Texas-size heat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.