Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:47 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
They gave birth to twins. Missouri and Indiana.

That said, overall I'd probably go with Kentucky as they are fairly similar geographically (flatter in the west, more rugged in the east), socially and politically (heavily conservative Christian populations), both are famous for their whiskey distilleries, etc. There are some differences of course (i.e. Kentucky is more college hoops driven, Tennessee is more into football; culturally KY is about 50/50 Southern and Appalachian, where the TN mix is slightly more Southern and slightly less Appalachian) and I think portions of Tennessee more closely resemble Mississippi (the far western portion of the state is the greater Delta region).
Well if they are twins, they certainly aren't identical twins.

I'd say Kentucky over North Carolina. Tennessee and Kentucky have no ocean and are similar east to west. You can tell you have crossed the state line though. No grocery stores on the TN side and no industry on the KY side (At least in western KY/TN)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 06:56 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
Mutiny, I've spent a fair amount of time in Charlottesville (Grandparents lived there in the 60s and a friend lived nearby in the 00s). It doesn't feel like Knoxville to me. Roanoke does.

It may be that Cville doesn't have a twin in TN.

JayJay, NC doesn't have coal country (the Cumberlands), nor does it have a great valley. I'm not sure which is more likely or if one should just go with KY. There's no one easy answer, IMO.

Old 03-09-2015, 07:15 PM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
I would imagine it would be any state that happens to border Tennessee.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:06 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Mutiny, I've spent a fair amount of time in Charlottesville (Grandparents lived there in the 60s and a friend lived nearby in the 00s). It doesn't feel like Knoxville to me. Roanoke does.

It may be that Cville doesn't have a twin in TN.

JayJay, NC doesn't have coal country (the Cumberlands), nor does it have a great valley. I'm not sure which is more likely or if one should just go with KY. There's no one easy answer, IMO.
I think it's the case that Charlottesville doesn't have a twin in TN. It's primarily a college town while Knoxville is a small/midsized city that hosts a flagship university, so there's a difference.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:23 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
OP, Missouri and Tennessee are both tied. They border 8 other states. IIRC, several others border 6 states, but none border 7.

And most similar is Arkansas, IMO.
Kentucky borders 7 states: Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, and Missouri.

As far as landscape goes, I think Kentucky is nearly identical to Tennessee from east to west, nearly a 500 mile long border.. I don't think any other two states are more similar landscape wise than Kentucky and Tennessee.

Culturally, Kentucky seems to move a little slower and Tennessee is more urban with some pretty good sized cities.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:27 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Kentucky would be the no brainer answer if the main population centers were Paducah and Somerset, but instead they are Louisville (Midwest / South mix) and Northern KY - suburbs of Cincinnati (as Midwestern as milking a cow in Wisconsin), though Lexington is the 2nd largest metro and it is very Southern. Another difference is taxes, TN likes to keep them very low while KY is the highest in the South and even on line with some Midwestern states like Indiana. Quite frankly both states have major poverty and health issues outside the larger metro areas, although Eastern KY's problems are pretty extreme and worse than anywhere in rural TN.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:46 AM

2,823 posts, read 4,488,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Kentucky would be the no brainer answer if the main population centers were Paducah and Somerset, but instead they are Louisville (Midwest / South mix) and Northern KY - suburbs of Cincinnati (as Midwestern as milking a cow in Wisconsin), though Lexington is the 2nd largest metro and it is very Southern. Another difference is taxes, TN likes to keep them very low while KY is the highest in the South and even on line with some Midwestern states like Indiana. Quite frankly both states have major poverty and health issues outside the larger metro areas, although Eastern KY's problems are pretty extreme and worse than anywhere in rural TN.
I've been often curious about the Northern KY suburbs of Cincinnati. So these areas aren't really southern? They're more like Ohio?

Old 03-10-2015, 10:08 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Really? I thought it was NC.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:17 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
I definitely think KY, being a TN native. NC has become more cosmopolitan and influential over the years. Much of TN is still pretty backward without significant cities, much like KY. Other states that TN borders, like AL, MS, and AR, are more deep South culturally than most of TN and were never influential.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:27 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Really? I thought it was NC.
Per the Tax Foundation, NC is either the highest or second-highest in the South, depending on whether or not you count Arkansas as being a part of the South (and goodness knows I don't want to get into THAT conversation for the 150123rd time). NC is ranked 17th in the nation for highest overall state-local tax burden, while KY is 23rd. Tennessee is 45th.

Now, that's as of 2011. More current figures might exist. Facts & Figures 2015: How Does Your State Compare? | Tax Foundation

It's worth noting (from that same data) that that ranking is for average state and local tax burden. If you go by state taxes alone, Kentucky and NC are neck and neck with NC paying slightly more (most other southern states still pay less, though Arkansas once again pays more). However, there have been some income tax changes in NC since those numbers came out that may have given NC the edge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.