Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,900 times

Advertisements

not lincoln ne. no one wants to accept vouchers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:01 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
Normally I tell people how to avoid areas that accept section 8. The crime and drug problems in those environments makes it damaging to whatever city has the properties. That said, Iowa accepts a great deal of section 8. However, trading Atlanta for anything in Iowa would be a terrible downgrade.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:36 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times
I was surprised to find out that some of the people in the suburban development in Ohio that I live in were on section 8, including a few who were just a few houses away from some relatively high-end houses. It seems that at least some parts of Ohio integrate the section 8 houses with the other houses and that very few people know that there are section 8 houses around, and the people who live in them seem to keep them up really well.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,378 times
georgia is horrible. they try their hardest to get you to loose your voucher. key west is awesome and ny is like a dream when you have a voucher. there are no such thing as "section 8 houses" there are landlords who are tired od late rent payments, and are aware that section 8 payments are on time. recipients are under very strict guidlines in order to qualify.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:16 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,129,095 times
Lots of people with 1 post to their name in this thread.

Just curious if it occurs to any of you to contribute to your community a little bit. Just a thought. People who actually talk about Section 8 as a way of life puzzle the hell out of me. Moving to NY or Key West on the backs of your fellow citizens. Have you no shame?

Nevermind, I know the answer to that question.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:47 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post

Just curious if it occurs to any of you to contribute to your community a little bit. Just a thought. People who actually talk about Section 8 as a way of life puzzle the hell out of me. Moving to NY or Key West on the backs of your fellow citizens. Have you no shame?

Contribute what? Plenty of people with a section 8 voucher work for a living. Some of them are disabled and can't. I know people--too many--who would probably qualify for benefits, but they don't want them. They've been able to survive for a while. They may have to end up accepting help. Why shouldn't they? They've worked and paid taxes.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:51 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,676,840 times
Southern States, the cost of living is cheaper.

Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Climber View Post

That's mean. My former neighbor in the city where I recently moved was a section 8 but that was because she had a very serious heart condition and no longer was able to work. It was not her fault. As far as contributing to her community, yes she did. She volunteered at a her church day care center when she could taking care of little kids while their moms worked.

Without her section 8 voucher she would have had to move from the apartment in which she had already been living for ten years. The landlord agreed to continue her rent on a section 8. Not everyone looks at this as "a way of life." You need to broaden your thinking. I think it is shameful to lump everyone in need in the same category and claim you know all the answers. I don't believe she is the exception. I know of other people who are in section 8's who are trying to better their situations. How many do you know?

Old 02-04-2015, 01:47 PM

1,778 posts, read 2,883,896 times
Like most other entitlement programs, it's the abusers that give the whole program a bad name. Many need it, some don't. And those who don't, know how to rig the system. Hell, my wife is Korean (an old-school Asian who considers 3 occupations to be "normal") but knows many who get off the boat and the first thing they're taught, needed or not, is how to scam the American entitlement system. It's a damn shame, but it happens and probably always will. Unintended consequences.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:16 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Why does the thread make me think of the folks that stand on the corner at the entrance to the Walmart parking lot, holding a sign. Everyday, rain or shine, the same folks are there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.