Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:16 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times

Advertisements

Approach to Duluth Harbor...

North Shore, MN Two Harbors...

North Shore, MN, Gooseberry Falls SP (February)...

North Shore, MN, Split Rock Light SP...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 02:16 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
How is the fish and overall lakefood? Anything delicious? Also, how bad is freshwater sashimi for you, really?

Old 05-31-2012, 04:38 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,631,619 times
It's interesting to note that the lakes are only 10,000 years old - they came into their present state after a process of glacial "rebound" following the retreat of the ice sheet after the last ice age.

That's very young in geologic terms. For example, Lake Baikal in Russia is estimated to be around 25 million years old. There aren't many lakes of any significance which are younger than the Great Lakes. There are some places where volcanoes blew their lids then filled up with rainwater (like Crater Lake in Oregon), but nothing even close in scale or size.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:51 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
You can just barely see Canada descend into the horizon from the other side of Lake St. Clair. And it's not even a Great Lake (though there are proposals on whether it should be one).

It's ok, the Midwest doesn't don't mind if you guys stay on your overly expensive coasts.

It really is not a great lake, its part of the Detroit/Saint Clair river system. Its actually a uniqe body of water, hard to classify.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:42 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Default Best Great Lakes Vacation?

What do you all think would be the best Great Lakes Vacation? I was thinking perhaps Northern Michigan (Traverse City/Makinac Island/UP). Suggestions, ideas?

Old 07-29-2012, 12:49 PM

93,166 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
What do you all think would be the best Great Lakes Vacation? I was thinking perhaps Northern Michigan (Traverse City/Makinac Island/UP). Suggestions, ideas?
Perhaps Sackets Harbor, Sandy Pond and Cape Vincent, among a few other places on the eastern end of Lake Ontario. You can sneak over to the 1000 Islands, if you want to as well.

The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!
Sackets Harbor Chamber of Commerce: Home Page
VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS » Sackets Harbor, NY

Thousand Islands: Cape Vincent NY - Where Lake Ontario And the St. Lawrence River Meet in the 1000 Islands
Village of Cape Vincent
VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS » Cape Vincent, NY

Welcome to Sandy Pond, NY - Enjoy sandy beaches & great swimming, fishing, boating & more.
index

VISIT THE 1000 ISLANDS

Old 07-29-2012, 04:07 PM

148 posts, read 238,661 times
Default yes very true

completely underrated... yes the great lakes freshwater system is one of if not the largest freshwater system of lakes in the world according to the us epa... it spans 750 miles or so from east lake ontario to west lake superior by minnesota. wikipedia has an article referring to this area as the premeire mega-region in North America with almost 30 metro regions, 25 of them with over 1 million metro, all around the midwest and the great lakes including canadian cities like toronto and montreal. from wikipedia - "The Great Lakes Megalopolis, is one of the world's largest economies. The Great Lakes contain one-fifth of the world's surface fresh water and have a combined shoreline of 10,210 miles (17,017 km). About 200 million tons of cargo are shipped by way of the Great Lakes each year." so basically its quietly supports the 55+ million people that share its water and use it.

if i were to reccommend a cool vacation go to "the dells" in wisconsin and take the tour on the "duck boats" - from what i remember as a kid, the tour takes you along a scenic route some including driving on roads, some in water. my fave was when we'd drive down real fast entering the water and make a huge splash! lol so fun i remember... even in winter ripping around on snowmobiles comin in smelling like 2 stroke! lol and then cruising the sand dunes in michigan riding atvs - its a really nice place to go to as well, i think its a state park... many friends of mine have gone and visited the michigan UP or stayed there an entire summer for vacation. my friends landlord had a boat and a lakehouse in Michigan and many good memories i remember from parties/late nights/summer skinny dippin there. the econmy has since forced them to sell but thats another story...

its predicted great megalopolis will reach some 60 million by 2025, chicago supposedly gaining the most, but toronto gowing the fastest...

the more i travel, the more amazed and lucky i feel to have lived here my home in the chi, the midwest.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:06 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,128 times
Quote:
Personally, if I were going to take a trip based around the Great Lakes it would be to either Lake Superior in Minnesota, Wisconsin, or the Upper Peninsula. Also, the Northern part of the Lower Peninsula on Lake Huron or Lake Michigan. I like the area because it is Northwoods which Ontario, Erie, and parts of Michigan and Huron aren't.

Mackinac Island is a great place to visit so I would suggest it.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:06 AM

40 posts, read 57,191 times
Quote:

What are you looking for - nice, sandy beaches, shopping, watersports, peace and quiet?

Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,182,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
It's interesting to note that the lakes are only 10,000 years old - they came into their present state after a process of glacial "rebound" following the retreat of the ice sheet after the last ice age.

That's very young in geologic terms. For example, Lake Baikal in Russia is estimated to be around 25 million years old. There aren't many lakes of any significance which are younger than the Great Lakes. There are some places where volcanoes blew their lids then filled up with rainwater (like Crater Lake in Oregon), but nothing even close in scale or size.
Not all of them. Lake Superior was formed when a volcanic mountain erupted and collapsed, creating a giant crator that filled in with water from the glaciers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.