Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 03:20 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,811,973 times

Advertisements

I moved here to Indiana in 2003 for a relationship that ended in 2005. I graduated college in 2007 with a marketing degree and have had a horrible time finding work . Now I'm stuck in a warehouse job I hate. My parents want me to move back to Alabama to start over. I don't wanna be in Alabama long term but I do miss my family and don't have many friends or a support system here . I really would like to move to the west coast but don't have money saved. I may just move back near family until I figure my next move. I just don't want to get stuck in bama!

Old 12-19-2013, 07:49 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by introspective1 View Post
I moved here to Indiana in 2003 for a relationship that ended in 2005. I graduated college in 2007 with a marketing degree and have had a horrible time finding work . Now I'm stuck in a warehouse job I hate. My parents want me to move back to Alabama to start over. I don't wanna be in Alabama long term but I do miss my family and don't have many friends or a support system here . I really would like to move to the west coast but don't have money saved. I may just move back near family until I figure my next move. I just don't want to get stuck in bama!
Good idea.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
Great point! I haven't visited this thread in a while and was glad to read through more posts today and feel even better. Bottom line is this...do what you think is right at the time. If your heart (or your partners heart) is calling out a change and you have the means, go for it. I was so worried about "failing" that I was too afraid to try, which will only result in heartache for sure.

I am giving notice on January 2nd and planning on a move to Dallas in July!!! If it doesn't work out, it just doesn't. And I'll figure out what to do from there.

Congrats ElleTea! That is exciting!

Daboywonder...I completely agree about being close to family. You have more to consider than us kidless folks I was moved clear across the country from my family as a baby during a divorce and didn't get a chance to really visit or get to know my family very well. Now as an adult, my parents are gone, no siblings, and the only family I have that I am somewhat close to is in Texas. If I could do it all over any way I wanted, I would have rather grown up around at least one set of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.
Good luck to you.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I've moved long-distance in the US and internationally. It always took 9-12 months to adjust, irrespective of whether I moved to heaven or hell. I never regretted any of these moves.

But you asked an interesting question. I went to college in Colorado. It took me 27 years to get back!

On the other hand, my ex-wife went from Colorado to Hawaii. Moved back to Colorado within 6 months, and very soon became homesick for the place in Colorado she originally moved from. But alas, she sold the home!

Old 12-23-2013, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
I've moved long-distance in the US and internationally. It always took 9-12 months to adjust, irrespective of whether I moved to heaven or hell. I never regretted any of these moves.

But you asked an interesting question. I went to college in Colorado. It took me 27 years to get back!

On the other hand, my ex-wife went from Colorado to Hawaii. Moved back to Colorado within 6 months, and very soon became homesick for the place in Colorado she originally moved from. But alas, she sold the home!
Hopefully,she did not spend all of the proceeds.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:14 AM

293 posts, read 849,634 times
I moved from my crappy hometown in Michigan (one that recently had one of the highest per-capita murder rates in the country) to Dallas/Fort Worth when I was 20. Stayed there for 3 years and was guilt-tripped by my mom into moving back to Michigan; only lasted back in MI for 6 months that time before I high-tailed it back to Texas.

Stayed in D/FW 5 more years. By that time, I'd had my second child and mom once again guilt tripped me about how much she wanted to have her grandchildren around, so when my husband got laid off from his job we sold our house, took the severance and moved back to MI. I knew the first week we were back here that it was a HUGE mistake and wished we never would have left. It has been a huge financial disaster for us with many periods of unemployment for both of us. Ten years after being back here, my husband is just now earning the same salary as he had when we left D/FW, and believe it or not we have both gotten bachelor's degrees since then.

I've been back in my hometown for 10 years and I still hate it. I went back to D/FW for a month a couple years ago to see if I still liked it and I did. The only problem is that, thanks to the horrible Michigan economy, I am having a really tough time saving the kind of money I need for a move out of state. I have been applying for jobs in D/FW but it's really hard to even get interviews. The bigger factor is that I now have kids who are deeply entrenched in the schools here. All of them say that they plan to move away from here because even they see that there's very little opportunity here, but my 10th grader is begging us to stay here until he graduates high school. My younger two are willing to move though, so at worst I just have to wait 2 more years.

But long story short, I knew immediately both times I left D/FW to go back to my hometown that it was a huge mistake.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:30 PM

135 posts, read 114,236 times
You'll always miss "HOME". Looking for a perfect situation is unrealistic. Never go "All In" to a place you're not familiar with. Travel around and rent a place to spend time there to see if it "fits". Too many people make this type of move then feel embarrassed to have made such a mistake. Live and learn, but ultimately wind up were you're the happiest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues