Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 06:50 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times

Advertisements

It Atlanta, almost everything is on the corner of Peachtree and Peachtree.

Old 05-20-2023, 08:40 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
In the county where I worked for the state highway department, one 8 mile long road was State Route 666. I've mentioned this in another thread recently, but we were blacktopping on 666 and a truck driver from another county helping us refused to drive on that road because of the 666. He went home that night and talked to his pastor who told him it was OK to work on that road and nothing would happen to him.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:15 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
I remember looking at some gorgeous and affordable houses in Newport, Kentucky, but I just couldn't bring myself to write "Kentucky" as a return address. That wasn't the only reason I stayed in Ohio, but it seems to amuse people (even my friends in Kentucky) when I tell the story.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:32 PM

4,861 posts, read 4,796,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
In the county where I worked for the state highway department, one 8 mile long road was State Route 666. I've mentioned this in another thread recently, but we were blacktopping on 666 and a truck driver from another county helping us refused to drive on that road because of the 666. He went home that night and talked to his pastor who told him it was OK to work on that road and nothing would happen to him.

For decades, US 666 ran north-south in western NM. The feds took a lot grief over that and about 20 years ago renumbered that highway to US 491. Folks called it the Devil's Highway and a couple of bad horror movies used it. Some people did refuse to drive on it.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:47 AM

11,066 posts, read 7,139,669 times
I've lived at some odd street names, but it's never bothered me. In fact, next to nothing bothers me. It's very important to keep emotions and reactions in check.

It's concerning how little things (in a traditional perspective) now bother people. What happened to the robustness of people living through the Great Depression, world wars, civil war, etc.? Barely any sign of that strength left.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 05-23-2023 at 11:55 AM..

Old 05-23-2023, 08:04 PM

61,650 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Some street names are funny, some embarrassing. Same with towns.
But, who said that street signs need to be serious in order to be functional?
I probably would think twice to move into an embarrassing address, though.

Here are some examples

https://www.rd.com/list/funniest-street-names/

https://www.loveproperty.com/gallery...ound-the-world

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/...ames-across-us

Re: numbered streets

Numbering streets may not be as much fun, but it certainly helps keep people going where they need (and want) to go. The number system set a precedent so that anyone, no matter where they were from, could show up in a city and figure out what direction they were supposed to be going based on the numbers around them.
It also exist in other parts of the world, especially in Colombia, which takes the system to an extreme, and the Middle East.
(hahaha, assuming they are literate...

BTW:
Some cities also have lettered street names.

Old 05-24-2023, 01:17 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Some street names are funny, some embarrassing. Same with towns.
But, who said that street signs need to be serious in order to be functional?
I lived in a tiny remote AK bush town that had existed peacefully as scattered family homestead cabin/farm parcels and mom-pop businesses for decades. It grudgingly voted to incorporate in the early 2000s to stave off attempts to be annexed by a scruffier village miles away. Everyone normally referred to most of the roads by informal nicknames. It wasn't until incorporation and official-looking signage that the names were pinned down. Not all of those nicknames were flattering; Mudhole, etc. A couple of particularly less tasteful names had to be changed before the state would agree to produce signs for them and the colorless PC results confused a lot of folks for quite a while.

Two of my favorites were Same Old Road and Hi Glen (as in hi there, Glen, how are you today?). Lots of roads named after the person who needed the road built so they could haul things to their homesite: Mary's Road, Dickey's Road, Grampa's Farm, etc. There's Plane Wreck; a two track road trail named for the infamous winter plane crash wreckage it leads to. Thankfully it isn't near the airport...might be too unnerving for tourists. EXtraTuff (modified spelling to avoid conflicts with the real boot's maker). There's Mad Cow named after a particularly surly moose who usually hung out in its roadside bushes. And vice versa: My lane turned off Dolly Varden Road. Our neighborhood's crabby moose was named Dolly after the road instead. I suspect most if not all the road's longer term residents had been chased by her at least once and no dog was safe!

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-24-2023 at 02:18 PM..

Old 05-24-2023, 01:41 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,268,921 times
Where I live they went with a lot of first names for street names. I like the name of my street, so no problem. I think if it had been a weird name I would have found it funny and it wouldn't have been a dealbreaker.

That said, I could see how it could be a problem depending on a person's situation (i.e., might not want to live on a street that had the same name as an ex if the circumstances were bad).

I know a few cities have a Why Worry Lane...I like that one.

Old 05-24-2023, 02:38 PM

747 posts, read 579,391 times
Other reasons exist for avoiding certain streets or towns,--if the name has a bad reputation, sounds weird or dumb or if you lived in a city with the identical name in another state, unpleasant memory, hardto pronounce, or many others. The village I live in is often confused with others of like names. Then there's the urban legend that city officials wouod name the street after their daughter or a girl they slept with. "Mary Street"

Old 05-24-2023, 05:17 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
This is an odd question but here goes--

How do you feel about moving to a street or city with a name you do not like or has a unpleasant memory that you don't care for? Does that matter? Should it be a consideration?
This has bothered me. I know plenty of names are funny or weird and I don't want a thread with those monikers.
Example. Suppose the town is named Brown and you don't like the color, or someone you dislike named Brown. Would that stop you from moving there?

On the other hand, choosing a location because of its name alone is not recommended.
I have a real estate book somewhere, and it isn't only you. People WANT a nice address. I don't know how long it will take them to realize this, but we all like an upscale and euphonic name to our home without dirty double meanings, or unpleasant associations.

If you are buying in a smaller city or town the following names can be found - They are taken from my the town where I grew up, and some absolutely beautiful homes in can be found there.

1. Main St.
2. directional names with main. Such as "East Main" where you will find my High School.
3. Prospect St. Always optimistic.
4. School St. in my small town didn't have a school there because it burned down.
5. Summit St. (a bit of a status grab there, but it still says "Street".
6. Church St. I was married at the church on "School Street at Noth Lane".

The book Askes the question "Does your Address Matter?" and the answer is "YES" if you believe this book was written by a national real estate company. I will try to find it.

After WWII, "Drive" was preferred to the prosaic "street", or even "Avenue" which may connote too much traffic.

Becodes Drive- "Court," "Circle," "Crescent," Way, "Path," or "Trace" "Lane" also had a resurgence.

Names of streets in my school district and the home where my children grew up attempted to allude to the Natural Beauty of the area. Also, female relatives and historic features of the area

Connecticut View Court, Soundview Circle, Sylvan Path, Woodland La. Forrest Hill Dr. School House Lane.
Wavecrest Heights Way. - Mostly desirable.

Names after women in the family were kind of a step-down, off timed named after the daughter's name, or the wife or worse - the mother. Often they are "Drives"

Near where I grew up for we had many girls' names - especially those that began with the letter "D". Debbi, Donna, Denise, and Dawn. Those girls, obviously boomers, attended my E; elementary school. on Schoolhouse Lane which was "Daryl Drive" named after, you guessed it, their brother Daeyl, whose only bother was Derrick. And yes. He got a street too.

Older woman's names can be beautiful or on. In Oyster Bay, we have a lovely enclave of Edwardian Homes called Florence Park. They are near the library, the High School (not a bad thing in my town), and the two most upscale churches. Florence Avenue was the main drag.

In a newer area, there was a Francesca Drive.

All of these are OK. I can deal with them There are SOME street names that would send me running.

1 Athol - sounds like something else by a person who lisps.

2. Hooker

3. Couns - just not right

4. Cox - well you know, not good in middle school..

5 Mechanic St. - very another side of the tracks.

6 Leech - gross. The scene in "Stand By Me" comes to mind.

7. Dorcus (I am sure you were a good and faithful church member, named for a pious woman of the Bible, but your name has not fared well.

8. Anstice, Burtis, Tooker, Simcoe - I know you all were important to the revolutionary war, but still NO.

Yet there are times when the house and its bizarre name mean nothing. Factory Pond Rd. Snuncks Misery Lane are BOTH alright by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues