Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 12:17 AM

294 posts, read 292,650 times

Advertisements

We are planning an interstate move of about 1200 miles. When we sell our house we won't have yet bought a new house. The likelihood is that we will need to move to the new locale and rent a short term rental or AirBnB while looking for a new house to buy.

I have thought of a couple of options to handle this:

1. Hire traditional mover and have them pack all breakable items. We will likely have some very expensive porcelain items that we will have them pack. In addition, we have some expensive new TVs (less than a year old so we don't want to sell them for a pittance). We plan to sell most of our furniture before moving. However, we have a couple of very expensive chairs that are only a few months old.

We would pay for full insurance.

However, if we do this we can't have the movers move directly to our new house because we won't have it yet. We would likely have them move to a storage facility. We would be able to check for damage to the chairs. But, we would not be able to check whether the TVs function correctly. Also, the porcelain items would not be unboxed for probably a couple of months after we have moved to a new house. We would hire local movers to move anything to the house.

I am assuming that if turned on the TVs when we move stuff to the house and they don't work, the movers would say that the TVs got broken after they delivered them to the storage facility. Same thing on the boxed porcelain stuff.

I am thinking that if we put stuff in storage, even if we pay for them to pack it we won't be able to get reimbursed for damage unless we are able to unpack the porcelain right then and unless we can somehow test all TVs right then. (That is functionally impossible for the TVs. I don't see a way to test out a 75" TV in a storage facility).

Am I missing anything or is there a way to get protection here?

2. Hire local movers to pack up a PODs or a few UBoxes. Then have them shipped to the new locale and just stored until we move into our house and then have local movers unpack them. In this scenario, I assume that no one is liable for any damage to the TVs, chairs or the porcelain. The hope is that this is less expensive so if there is damage then we at least didn't spend as much.

This seems to be the better option. However, for this option, I worry that the local movers will haphazardly pack the POD or U-Boxes since they know we can't hold them liable and that stuff will be way more likely to get broken. The chairs I plan to put in boxes will lots of padding so they are probably OK. I'm more worried about the TVs.

The porcelain I have historically for moves just moved myself. However, this move is different. In the past we had 2 vehicles. Now we have one SUV. And most of the space in it will be taken up by our 3 cats and our clothes and computers. There won't be room for the porcelain, let alone the TVs.

The only other option I've thought about is to drive the cats, clothes, computers to our new locale (1200 miles one way). Put the cats in a boarding facility. Drive back 1200 miles and get the porcelain (I could leave the boxes with a friend), then drive them back to the new locale (another 1200 miles).

If I felt I could hold traditional movers liable for damaging stuff in our scenario I would just pay them to pack everything breakable. But given the above I'm not sure I can practically speaking actually hold them liable.

FWIW, we plan to sell most of our furniture. We will mostly have boxes of stuff, several large cat trees (only a few months old), TVs, 2 very expensive desk chairs and some pictures. We are still deciding on a few other items of furniture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2022, 06:39 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I would drive the breakables myself. Rent a vehicle if you need to. Because chances are, if it's fragile, it very well could get broken in a large moving van.

I would ask the movers specifically about these fragile items and what their liability would be. It's possible they may be exempt from any coverage.

Old 05-03-2022, 02:04 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I would drive the breakables myself. Rent a vehicle if you need to. Because chances are, if it's fragile, it very well could get broken in a large moving van.

I would ask the movers specifically about these fragile items and what their liability would be. It's possible they may be exempt from any coverage.
I've moved across the country several times. These moves were paid by my employer who dictated the terms of the contracts (including liability, insurance, etc) with national companies (Bekins, United, etc). Every one of them covered damage to my belongings to some degree, but the method by which they calculated actual reimbursements varied. I realize contract terms offered to private individuals may be subject to different rules. Liability coverage for mine was either a percentage of the estimated value or it might be by the load's volume or weight. Higher value or unusually fragile items needed to be identified by me up front. They were packed/overpacked differently and listed on a separate inventory form and subject to a different scale of liability. I chose to keep my few really exceptional items with me. You'll need to clarify how the company handles such specialized items (antiques, original artwork, valuables) before selecting a mover OP.

Old 05-03-2022, 03:50 PM

Well, the big issue to me is whether to do a traditional mover or not. With that, I could potentially pay for full value coverage. But, two problems. One is this would be more expensive because I would have to pay to move to a storage place, then pay to move from there to my new home a couple of months later.

Second problem (and the one I am asking about) is that I won't know if some things are broken (such as TVs) until I move into the new house 2 months or so later. If they are broken won't they just deny coverage and argue that were broken after they delivered to the storage place?

I could do PODs. They do offer coverage but it has lots of holes in it. Only covers depreciated value and doesn't cover if they think packing was bad or damage was due to normal shifting. So the coverage seems very useless unless a POD just gets destroyed in an accident or something. But, this is less expensive.

So if traditional mover won't cover anyway then not sure it is worth paying the much higher cost. Wondered if anyone had looked into this issue or experienced it.

Old 05-03-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
Well, the big issue to me is whether to do a traditional mover or not. With that, I could potentially pay for full value coverage. But, two problems. One is this would be more expensive because I would have to pay to move to a storage place, then pay to move from there to my new home a couple of months later.

Second problem (and the one I am asking about) is that I won't know if some things are broken (such as TVs) until I move into the new house 2 months or so later. If they are broken won't they just deny coverage and argue that were broken after they delivered to the storage place?

I could do PODs. They do offer coverage but it has lots of holes in it. Only covers depreciated value and doesn't cover if they think packing was bad or damage was due to normal shifting. So the coverage seems very useless unless a POD just gets destroyed in an accident or something. But, this is less expensive.

So if traditional mover won't cover anyway then not sure it is worth paying the much higher cost. Wondered if anyone had looked into this issue or experienced it.
One of my moves was fairly protracted because it involved trucking and barging my containerized goods a long distance. I wouldn't be able to take delivery and unpack my belongings for a couple of months, and they did spend some time in storage. However, the original company was still technically in possession of them so I'm sure that made a difference. Their damage claim process had a time frame within which I needed to file. It was fairly generous...something like 6 months. You'd need to explain your situation and clarify the contract terms about all this with any company you approach. Consider...you might be better off to stay with the same company, include that temporary storage as well as the final delivery with them instead of contracting with another mover.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-03-2022 at 04:58 PM..

Old 05-03-2022, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Consider...you might be better off to stay with the same company, include that temporary storage as well as the final delivery with them instead of contracting with another mover.
Yes, I had thought of that. After researching stuff, I am thinking though I may just go with PODs. We would hire someone familiar with their system to load the POD. We probably would not send the porcelain items. Problem with them is that they will take more than one box. We have a Volvo XC60 which will hold DH and I and our cats and some clothes and computers but won't have room for the porcelain. So we would need to drive 1200 miles back to our origin to get the porcelain and drive it (we could leave it with a friend). That is a negative but not that big of a deal.

We would pack the expensive office chairs in boxes with lots of protective stuff. I worry a bit about the TVs but think we would save enough doing this that it wouldn't be a big problem.

I like that with the PODs we could have them store our stuff but we would still have access to it if needed. And we wouldn't have to pay someone to deliver to storage and then deliver from storage to our house. We did that for our last move and it added about $1500 to the cost.

Old 05-04-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koshka2 View Post
Yes, I had thought of that. After researching stuff, I am thinking though I may just go with PODs. We would hire someone familiar with their system to load the POD. We probably would not send the porcelain items. Problem with them is that they will take more than one box. We have a Volvo XC60 which will hold DH and I and our cats and some clothes and computers but won't have room for the porcelain. So we would need to drive 1200 miles back to our origin to get the porcelain and drive it (we could leave it with a friend). That is a negative but not that big of a deal.

We would pack the expensive office chairs in boxes with lots of protective stuff. I worry a bit about the TVs but think we would save enough doing this that it wouldn't be a big problem.

I like that with the PODs we could have them store our stuff but we would still have access to it if needed. And we wouldn't have to pay someone to deliver to storage and then deliver from storage to our house. We did that for our last move and it added about $1500 to the cost.
At some point, you need to adjust your thinking and consider what possessions can be replaced or repaired and what can't. Computers, monitors, printers, other electronics and household items can all be replaced. Will that be inconvenient? Sure. Before you pack and move computers, remember what's most valuable about them...the contents, not the machines. Copy/back up important documents. Go to an electronics store and get boxes and packaging that will generally fit your items and pack them yourself before the packers show up. Fancy office chairs? Furniture can be repaired. If something gets damaged during the move, file a claim with the company. As for sentimental or irreplaceable porcelain, you could take it to a professional packing service and have the pieces boxed before the movers touch them. IME they do excellent work.

Another idea: if you already know your temporary housing address, why not mail some of the cargo you were planning to take in the car right before you start the drive? It will probably beat you there.

Will a move put some of your possessions at risk? Yes, its just reality you need to face. Things can get damaged in a POD too if you don't load it carefully and if you pack the contents there's no moving company damage/liability coverage to fall back on. Not all damage is irreversible. Moving is a PITA, but most of your "stuff" is just that.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-04-2022 at 02:24 PM..

Old 05-04-2022, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
At some point, you need to adjust your thinking and consider what possessions can be replaced or repaired and what can't.
We have thought of that and agree overall. We have a bedroom fully furniture house. Out of our actual furniture (not electronics) we actually plan to bring 4 pieces of furniture with us. The two expensive desk chairs that are only a few months old are two of them. Another is an inexpensive decorative cabinet (very small and light) that is the only piece of furniture I kept from my mother's house after she died. There there is an a table that is glass (it is a unique artistic piece and extremely fragile). Every other piece of furniture will likely not be brought. There are a couple of things I am pondering (may do another thread on that). But, beds, mattresses, sofa, other chairs, dining room table, end tables, are all not coming with us.

Quote:
Computers, monitors, printers, other electronics and household items can all be replaced. Will that be inconvenient? Sure. Before you pack and move computers, remember what's most valuable about them...the contents, not the machines.
That entirely depends on the computer. My main desktop computer is still under warranty and cost almost $5000. I have 3 monitors that were expensive. Replacing just my computer and monitors would cost over $7000. However, this is something we will bring in our vehicle not the movers. Our other computers are notebooks so are not hard to move.

Quote:
Copy/back up important documents. Go to an electronics store and get boxes and packaging that will generally fit your items and pack them yourself before the packers show up. Fancy office chairs? Furniture can be repaired. If something gets damaged during the move, file a claim with the company. As for sentimental or irreplaceable porcelain, you could take it to a professional packing service and have the pieces boxed before the movers touch them. IME they do excellent work.
The packing stuff would be a good idea but I do worry about standard movers denying a claim based upon the owner having packed it. I've read (here in fact) that many traditional movers deny claims routinely for things they didn't pack. So if we used traditional movers I would have them pack fragile stuff just so they couldn't make that argument if anything broke. But, as I mentioned given the fact we will have to move twice I am leaning in the PODs direction instead.

Repairing one of the chairs if broken is problematical depending on what is broken. This a $4k chair. It has custom leather upholstery on it and I am mostly worried about that. Most other stuff could be replaced. But hard to pay that much money for a chair I've had only a few months. That said, I'm less worried about the Chair that other things. Plan to put that in a box with lots of protection.

Quote:
Another idea: if you already know your temporary housing address, why not mail some of the cargo you were planning to take in the car right before you start the drive? It will probably beat you there.
Well, I don't know if we will know or not and whether we can have stuff sent there. We could be in an extended stay hotel or AirBnB for awhile. This is an option though if it works out.

Quote:
Things can get damaged in a POD too if you don't load it carefully and if you pack the contents there's no moving company damage/liability coverage to fall back on. Not all damage is irreversible. Moving is a PITA, but most of your "stuff" is just that.
We will not load the POD ourselves if we do that. We will have one of the people recommended by PODs do it. I think the in the POD situation I am most worried about the TVs. Yes, it is just stuff but a couple of those TVs are large expensive TVs that are less than a year old. The TV we have that is 7 years old isn't coming with us....

Old 05-05-2022, 07:27 AM

24,470 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Get a Uhaul with a car tower. Drop the cats off at the apartment and the rest in storage. Book Uhaul loaders at both ends. You can unpack in storage and check for damages.

Old 05-05-2022, 07:54 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I can tell you what we did. We used a professional moving company. The house we had bought was still under construction so that meant that we needed to move into a temporary rental until construction was completed and we closed on the new house.

I set aside and marked the items that we would be taking to the temporary rental. The movers packed the house, loaded everything into the truck with the temp rental items towards the back for easy access.

We moved into our temporary rental, the moving company brought the temp rental items and put everything else into storage. When it came time to move into our new house, we hired a rental truck and moved everything in the temp rental to the new house and scheduled the movers to bring everything else from storage to the new house.

It was a lot of moving pieces but it all worked out. I was very impressed with the way the professional packers had packed our breakables - way more carefully than I would have. Everything arrived in good shape.

Trust me, you will not want to be hauling boxes of china and stemware around in your car and trying to find a place for them in a temporary rental (for us it was a small apartment). And we were in a couple of hotels before we were able to move into the temp rental.

Last edited by springfieldva; 05-05-2022 at 08:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues