Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 12:35 PM

31 posts, read 32,069 times

Advertisements

I jut used U-Haul's U-Box moving system from Wisconsin to South Carolina, about 900 miles. We ordered 7 U-Boxes and it was very competitively priced. $5930 smackaroos. Ipods dot com quoted me $860 and ABF Freight sytems (U-Move) was $700.00 and some change. Eveything went off without a hitch. Everything arrived when they said it would. We packed everything very carefully and made sure each box was packed somewhat tight.

When they delivered the U-Boxes to my home in Wisconsin, I thought no way is that going to be enough capacity for all of our belongings. 1960 square, foot, 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch house plus basement and garage. Nothing was broken after un-packing everything. Recommendation: Do not use U-Haul's recommended number of U-Boxes you will need. They said for a 3 bed 2 bath home, 5 Boxes would be plenty. They do not take into account whether you have a basement or not and how many play toy's you have. We were in the process of buying a new home, so we did not have an address to give them since we did not close on the mortgage till after we got here. Anyway, we had a good experience with them and everything worked out fine. I give them 5 stars. Communication was very good between U-Haul and myself. I would use them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 01:58 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
$5930 , or $593 ???

Did you look at ABF's ReloCubes or, their "everything on one 26' trailer" deal ?

Old 01-05-2024, 02:21 PM

31 posts, read 32,069 times
Default U Box move

I jut used U-Haul's U-Box moving system from Wisconsin to South Carolina, about 900 miles. We ordered 7 U-Boxes and it was very competitively priced. $5930 smackaroos. Ipods dot com quoted me $8600 and ABF Freight sytems (U-Move) was $7000.00 and some change. Eveything went off without a hitch. Everything arrived when they said it would. We packed everything very carefully and made sure each box was packed somewhat tight.

When they delivered the U-Boxes to my home in Wisconsin, I thought no way is that going to be enough capacity for all of our belongings. 1960 square, foot, 3 bedroom 2 bath ranch house plus basement and garage. Nothing was broken after un-packing everything. Recommendation: Do not use U-Haul's recommended number of U-Boxes you will need. They said for a 3 bed 2 bath home, 5 Boxes would be plenty. They do not take into account whether you have a basement or not and how many play toy's you have. We were in the process of buying a new home, so we did not have an address to give them since we did not close on the mortgage till after we got here. Anyway, we had a good experience with them and everything worked out fine. I give them 5 stars. Communication was very good between U-Haul and myself. I would use them again.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:03 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatscott View Post
I jut used U-Haul's U-Box moving system from Wisconsin to South Carolina, about 900 miles. We ordered 7 U-Boxes and it was very competitively priced. $5930 smackaroos. Ipods dot com quoted me $860 [HE MEANT $8,600] and ABF Freight sytems (U-Move) was $700.00 [HE MEANT $7,000] and some change. Eveything went off without a hitch. Everything arrived when they said it would. We packed everything very carefully and made sure each box was packed somewhat tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
$5930 , or $593 ???

Did you look at ABF's ReloCubes or, their "everything on one 26' trailer" deal ?
Ah, greatscott, you were missing the last ZEROES for the other companies in your first post!! NOW it makes more sense.

$6K to move from Wisconsin to South Carolina doesn't sound too bad. A neighbor down my street just moved and I saw that they had 3 U-boxes for their houses -- didn't seem like enough to me, but I had no idea.

I hope never to move again until they take me out of my current house in a body bag when I'm in my 90s!

Old 03-19-2024, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 23,611 times
Thanks for clearing this up for me, I tried to find out the details and the way the website form this service is vague and confusing. I thought it would be a good option for me, I live alone and find the older I get moving to be a huge (even more) stressful situation. This is off my list if they won't help me get it delivered to my home?

Old 03-19-2024, 01:28 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Which service said they would not deliver to home, and why not ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues