Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 02:04 PM

94 posts, read 257,576 times

Advertisements

Actually, the library version is not exactly the same. Also, libraries often don't allow for downloading images--fear of viruses. Believe me, I've tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I've heard they're not the same, but not sure in what way they differ.

Still I find it a great resource. I've found a lot on ancestry.com and never paid a penny because of the libraries.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
They have volunteers doing it? No wonder.

Someone told me some of these things had been outsourced overseas where they no sprechen the lingo.
World Archives Project - Ancestry.com

Old 12-23-2009, 09:30 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
The OP's title refers specifically to Ancestry.com, and yet there have been several suggesting that the service be free. It is a private, for-profit corporation, isn't it? I don't see how that could be reasonably expected.

If we want to back up and say, well all those public records should be free. Yeah, OK by me...but who pays for that? Is the government (national, state, local) going to pay people to create indexes for lookups, and put this service online, and have family trees on their sites, and ways of hooking up with other researchers - all for free...ooooeeeeeeeeeeeee, imagine the howls of outrage!!!!!

Ancestry.com is selling their web site and all the software development that makes it possible to search these archives, plus being able to link with people who have similar interests/projects. Without this aspect of their site, online records themselves would be largely useless, unless one already knew pretty exactly the data you were looking for. I have had to page through some unindexed state censuses, and it is a killer....takes hours, is extremely difficult to read, and in the end I am not certain but what I have missed what I was looking for. I am on record as complaining about some of the sloppy transcribing work on the site, but without all the indexing they have done I cannot imagine having been able to accomplish a quarter of what I have in a relatively short time.

I find it difficult to see how such a service could truly be provided free.

As for profiting off of the lives of our ancestors. C'mon, we're not talking white slavery here! For that matter any history book or historical bio profits off of someone's ancestors. Our ancestors are DEAD they are not the slightest bit affected by any of this; furthermore, we don't own them nor have copyrights on them.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The OP's title refers specifically to Ancestry.com, and yet there have been several suggesting that the service be free. It is a private, for-profit corporation, isn't it? I don't see how that could be reasonably expected.

If we want to back up and say, well all those public records should be free. Yeah, OK by me...but who pays for that? Is the government (national, state, local) going to pay people to create indexes for lookups, and put this service online, and have family trees on their sites, and ways of hooking up with other researchers - all for free...ooooeeeeeeeeeeeee, imagine the howls of outrage!!!!!

Ancestry.com is selling their web site and all the software development that makes it possible to search these archives, plus being able to link with people who have similar interests/projects. Without this aspect of their site, online records themselves would be largely useless, unless one already knew pretty exactly the data you were looking for. I have had to page through some unindexed state censuses, and it is a killer....takes hours, is extremely difficult to read, and in the end I am not certain but what I have missed what I was looking for. I am on record as complaining about some of the sloppy transcribing work on the site, but without all the indexing they have done I cannot imagine having been able to accomplish a quarter of what I have in a relatively short time.

I find it difficult to see how such a service could truly be provided free.

As for profiting off of the lives of our ancestors. C'mon, we're not talking white slavery here! For that matter any history book or historical bio profits off of someone's ancestors. Our ancestors are DEAD they are not the slightest bit affected by any of this; furthermore, we don't own them nor have copyrights on them.
Well said!

Old 12-23-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post

You know what? I think familysearch.org has something similar to that. I've not done either. Has anyone here?

Old 12-23-2009, 02:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
I hate when they lead people on. A lot of obituaries cost money to read, too. We want to get a handle on where we came from, becuse a lot of us don't resemble our current relatives. We look more like great grandpa, and we are just as weird. Tracking his life may show us why we are so drawn to certain parts of the world.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:29 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
The LDS Family Search has the 1880 Census, along with the British Census. The 1890 Census was partally destroyed by fire. It is available online too, but you will have to be very, very lucky if the place where your ancestor lived has survived.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I hate when they lead people on. A lot of obituaries cost money to read, too. We want to get a handle on where we came from, becuse a lot of us don't resemble our current relatives. We look more like great grandpa, and we are just as weird. Tracking his life may show us why we are so drawn to certain parts of the world.
See if you can find them at a local library for free.

Just weird or unique!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
The LDS Family Search has the 1880 Census, along with the British Census. The 1890 Census was partally destroyed by fire. It is available online too, but you will have to be very, very lucky if the place where your ancestor lived has survived.
Yes, familysearch.org has the US 1880 census, the UK 1881 census and the Canadian 1881 census. All are free to view.

Ancestry.com has a 1890 census substitute. A great deal of it is drawn from city directories. If a family lived on a farm or in a small town, they may be more difficult to find.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:00 PM

Occurred to me today as I'm working with it: it doesn't seem you can just browse some databases. I just want to see what they have and can't. Have to specify a name. That's a serious flaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy