Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2024, 08:51 AM

4,901 posts, read 4,847,841 times

Advertisements

Read this morning that Ancestry and the National Archives have agreed that Ancestry will digitize millions of NARA documents not currently digitized.

https://www.archives.gov/press/press...s/2024/nr24-27
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 09:33 AM

9,355 posts, read 14,981,466 times
Those records are quite specific to a limit number of users. Ancestry already offers WW11 registration card facsimiles.

I'd rather see them concentrate on the huge gaps in their collection in terms of vital records. Often they offer only the indexed version and don't show the original record. Plenty of room to do so within the time frame of privacy statutes.

Old 05-10-2024, 03:38 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,947,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Those records are quite specific to a limit number of users. Ancestry already offers WW11 registration card facsimiles.
These are different - Ancestry's current collections are:
U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
U.S., Alien Draft Registrations, Selected States, 1940-1946
U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947

The ones they'll getting with this deal are:
U.S. military morning reports from World War II
Selective Service post–World War II draft registration 1948-1959

Neither of these have been digitized yet and are not available online anywhere as far as I know.

The naturalization and immigration records might be useful to me, we'll see.

Quote:
I'd rather see them concentrate on the huge gaps in their collection in terms of vital records. Often they offer only the indexed version and don't show the original record. Plenty of room to do so within the time frame of privacy statutes.
They can only offer what the states (or countries) are willing to give them. Privacy laws can vary greatly, some states don't allow vital records to be public at all, no matter how much time has passed. Even if the records are public, the state and/or archive doesn't have to do a deal with Ancestry or any other website, they might be choosing to keep the records offline.

Old 05-11-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
T
They can only offer what the states (or countries) are willing to give them. Privacy laws can vary greatly, some states don't allow vital records to be public at all, no matter how much time has passed. Even if the records are public, the state and/or archive doesn't have to do a deal with Ancestry or any other website, they might be choosing to keep the records offline.
Any idea which states don't ever allow vital records to ever go public? A lot of colonial records from the original colonies which are on microfilm aren't on Ancestry.

In my state, privacy laws are 100 years. But I still can't access original old records in handwriting through Ancestry. That is the sort of thing I am talking about.

Old 05-11-2024, 08:06 AM

1,838 posts, read 1,448,471 times
I'll be very glad to see the morning reports. Dad didn't talk about his WWII service (found out he was a sniper on Luzon, so that explains that), but we'd like to know more about his unit and its history. Morning reports are a great way to get the day-by-day info.

Old 05-12-2024, 12:29 PM

10,219 posts, read 17,947,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Any idea which states don't ever allow vital records to ever go public?
FamilySearch's wiki usually includes these details - click on the state from this page: https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki..._Vital_Records

For example, for Colorado births, it says: "Certificates are released only to members of the immediate family." So those are not public, even the older ones. Obviously this is about state civil records, but I thought that was implied since the state only has jurisdiction over state issued records.

At one point, I tried to create a chart with this info but some states were difficult to confirm availability and I did this a while ago so some of it might be outdated but here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets..._TsOA/pubhtml#

Quote:
A lot of colonial records from the original colonies which are on microfilm aren't on Ancestry.

In my state, privacy laws are 100 years. But I still can't access original old records in handwriting through Ancestry. That is the sort of thing I am talking about.
Ancestry does have some colonial BMD records but I think they tend to be harder to obtain because they often aren't held at state level. So they would have to contact smaller, more local archives/libraries or even individual churches - a tedious task considering how many there are and how few records they would get from each organization. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it (or that they haven't in some cases), I'm just saying it's naturally going to take longer and the chances of them doing a deal with the particular organization that you might need records from is smaller.

Also, it's not like it's one or the other. Just because they obtain some more recent records doesn't mean they aren't also looking for older records. If you go to the Card Catalog and sort by Date Added, you can see all the newest collections added. There are some from colonial times and even earlier, but they aren't all US vital records. Of course the further back you go, the scarcer records are and since vital records weren't required in colonial times, often they just don't exist to begin with.

Old 05-15-2024, 03:54 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,312,605 times
Always great to se more records digitized.

Old 05-16-2024, 12:06 PM

11,196 posts, read 7,253,117 times
Whoa. I first thought it said "Digitize Nazi Archive Records". Perhaps it's time to get glasses.

Old Today, 09:41 AM

PA2UK:

Thanks for the spreadsheet. I looked at my state RI and you might want to update it. Marriage and birth records are public after 100 years, deaths after 50 years.

Ancestry has the colonial records available from the 1636-1899 but not the original entries which have been available on microfilm for years. Ancestry has only indexes and abstracts for later years- not copies of the actual record. That is the sort of thing I am talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy