Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 09:51 AM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The days when 23andme was a bargsin are over. It sucks for those that becomes aware of its existance from now on. Those that knew about it when it was cheap, want it to domit but procrastinated, you are now allowed to smack yourself in the head for being stupid. Even with the removal of certain features that once were free, getting into 23andme while it was cheap certainly was better.
When I first tested with 23andMe (2013) it was close to $300. Now you can get the Ancestry test for $89.

They restored the Relatives in Common feature recently but not the chromosome browser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 07:06 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
When I first tested with 23andMe (2013) it was close to $300. Now you can get the Ancestry test for $89.

They restored the Relatives in Common feature recently but not the chromosome browser.

23 and me has always been expensive. I've been watching the price around 2011. It then went on sale where it was around $200 for the health kit but I didn't order it before they were made to stop selling it by the government. When they started selling it again, the price was too high for me.

Since before COVID, it has usually been on sale for $149 for health. I eventually did buy it for that much, then of course the next Black Friday sale was $99 less then 6 months after I bought it. It has been at $99 every black Friday since.

I wasn't impressed with the health information they have. I had uploaded my ancestry kit to promethease which had a lot more information then 23 and me. It showed I was exposed to Benzene which I knew. It killed my dad. They stopped showing the Benzene exposure when My Heritage bought them.

My matches there stink, it's not a site I go on that often. Wish I didn't pay so much for it.

Old 03-24-2024, 12:24 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
23 and me has always been expensive. I've been watching the price around 2011. It then went on sale where it was around $200 for the health kit but I didn't order it before they were made to stop selling it by the government. When they started selling it again, the price was too high for me.

Since before COVID, it has usually been on sale for $149 for health. I eventually did buy it for that much, then of course the next Black Friday sale was $99 less then 6 months after I bought it. It has been at $99 every black Friday since.

I wasn't impressed with the health information they have. I had uploaded my ancestry kit to promethease which had a lot more information then 23 and me. It showed I was exposed to Benzene which I knew. It killed my dad. They stopped showing the Benzene exposure when My Heritage bought them.

My matches there stink, it's not a site I go on that often. Wish I didn't pay so much for it.
Around $200 for the health kit? In 2011?

https://web.archive.org/web/20110308...w.23andme.com/

Now

https://www.23andme.com/

In 2011 you got ancestry and health for $199 while now the same bundle is $229.

Old 03-24-2024, 01:31 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Couldn't afford it either. Since I'm from WV I went with the cheaper model- 22 and who??

Appropriate for a WV hillbilly.

Old 03-25-2024, 08:57 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I didn't realize 23andMe prices had gone up so much - their standard prices for years were $99 for ancestry-only and $199 for ancestry+health. According to waybackmachine, it looks like ancestry-only was $99 up to sometime in 2023 so it's only very recently gone up to $119? Not sure what they're thinking making it more expensive after that hack and disabling several features. Maybe they think putting the price up makes it seem more valuable and more secure than before but I feel like most people will just opt for something less expensive.

Old 03-26-2024, 06:26 PM

Notice on the waybackmachine, under the $199 price, it says "was $499." Not cheap!

23andMe's product now is vastly improved from what it used to be back in 2011, with far more health information included, and much more sophisticated ancestry reports and DNA Relative tools. When I was first tested they only had "Europe", "Africa", "Asia" for ethnicity, with no breakdowns at all. For several years after I tested, they continually rolled out new reports and tools based on my existing test chip, without charging extra. Now I would need to test on a new chip to get the most recent health reports, but I'm not interested.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:10 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Notice on the waybackmachine, under the $199 price, it says "was $499." Not cheap!
The way sales work is that a higher price is shown as the “normal price” or “msrp.” That way when you make a comparison with the “sale” price, the otherwise high price would seem reasonable and you buy. But the price is never the “normal price.” The actual normal price is what it is most of the time, usually the “sale” price.

People like to feel they are getting a deal even if in reality they aren’t. This can also be done via wording since everything about sales is perception, not necessarily reality. The old “buy one, get one free” is a perfect example of bs-ing. You don’t get anything free in sales, you are paying for both. “Buy one, get one free” actually means each item cost 50% of what you actually pay, it isn’t that you pay for one and they are actually giving you a second one for free.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The way sales work is that a higher price is shown as the “normal price” or “msrp.” That way when you make a comparison with the “sale” price, the otherwise high price would seem reasonable and you buy. But the price is never the “normal price.” The actual normal price is what it is most of the time, usually the “sale” price.

People like to feel they are getting a deal even if in reality they aren’t. This can also be done via wording since everything about sales is perception, not necessarily reality. The old “buy one, get one free” is a perfect example of bs-ing. You don’t get anything free in sales, you are paying for both. “Buy one, get one free” actually means each item cost 50% of what you actually pay, it isn’t that you pay for one and they are actually giving you a second one for free.
In an earlier post you said:

"The days when 23andme was a bargsin are over. It sucks for those that becomes aware of its existance from now on. Those that knew about it when it was cheap, want it to domit but procrastinated, you are now allowed to smack yourself in the head for being stupid. Even with the removal of certain features that once were free, getting into 23andme while it was cheap certainly was better."

But I was pointing out that it is cheaper now than it used to be. The price has come down drastically, the product is greatly expanded and improved, and they continually add new health reports.

To get the lowest price, wait for one of the frequent "sales" they run, usually around DNA Day (Apr. 25), Mother's Day, Father's Day, etc.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:30 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
But I was pointing out that it is cheaper now than it used to be.
Yeah but that was 13 years ago - it was cheaper than it is now for many years more recently, so the price has definitely gone up. Maybe not as high as it once was 13 years ago, but it's higher than it has been for the last 10 or so years.

Old 04-01-2024, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Yeah but that was 13 years ago - it was cheaper than it is now for many years more recently, so the price has definitely gone up. Maybe not as high as it once was 13 years ago, but it's higher than it has been for the last 10 or so years.
Do you know when it was cheapest? How much cheaper was it? I'm looking at waybackmachine, and checking every year from 2016 to 2023, the price has remained steady: $99 for Ancestry, and $199 for Health + Ancestry.

Considering recent inflation for most things it's a really good deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy