Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 10:11 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

My maternal family traces its most recent roots back to North and South Carolina, which then led to migrations further north to include Virginia, Maryland, and New York. But going back generations, they were slaves in this country, so I'm sure there are other state connections I don't know about. In fact, some of my 3rd cousin matches via AncestryDNA (whom I don't otherwise know) exclusively have family trees in North Carolina and Mississippi.

My father's mom's family came to the states from the British West Indies in the 1920s via Ellis Island and settled in New York, where they remain today. His father was an international student in Maryland, but moved back overseas after graduating.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 01-30-2023 at 10:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 11:58 PM

295 posts, read 245,782 times
Me (California) -> Mother (California) -> Her Mother (Texas) -> Her Mother (Texas) -> Her Mother (Texas) -> Her Mother (Texas) -> Her Mother (South Carolina) -> Her Mother (Virginia)

There's also Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Maryland, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Massachussetts if I follow different paths in the family tree.

Old 01-31-2023, 01:32 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,381,212 times
Dutch colony 1640, Mohawk Valley NY
England 1831>Canada > Jefferson & Lewis Counties, NY

Old 01-31-2023, 03:19 AM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Dutch colony 1640, Mohawk Valley NY
England 1831>Canada > Jefferson & Lewis Counties, NY
I think this is the first time in this thread that someone mentions the county level, perhaps because the title of the thread limits itself to state level. I have no idea if autosomal DNA testing companies like 23andme go down to county or even municipality level. A person with ancestries from any of the 50 states and has done 23andme should clarify.

At least when it comes to me it goes to the provincial level, which is the equivalent to state level in the USA. I have no clue if that is simply due to the country or is something general of such websites.

Here are printscreens I did few minutes ago in my account in 23andme. As can be seen, the most detail it gets is provincial/state level.

This is the first level in the ancestry page. Here they will show one or more countries where you may have ancestry from. In my case only one comes up for obvious reasons. Considering it's a small country, it further proves the legitimacy of 23andme since they could had picked any other country if their info was based on falsehood or the USA as default given they are in the USA.

This level comes up as soon you press on the first level shown above, this time at a sub-regional level. When more than one country, they do highlight those other countries too. If it remains gray, it means they don't detect ancestry deom those places.

Clicking on the map again and it zooms in at a national level, highlighting the provinces (states) most relevant to me given the info they get from my autosomal DNA and comparing with other people's autosomal DNA in their system.

Clicking on the name of each province (state) in the list produces the final zoom, this time at the provincial (state) level.

Like I said previously, due to not having any ancestry from the USA and they correctly detecting that and this feature appears to account holders only and not if I was to look at someone else's such as any of the DNA relatives, I have no idea if further details are presented in the case of the USA.

Anyway, similar to how there is the established family history that one's ancestors were from such-and-such places, it could be that autosomal DNA holds certain things that until analyzing it, no one knew about. At least it happens on the ancestral part as many people realize their ancestry isn't exactly as they thought it would be, more often due to the family history they were told.

The results at least on 23andme goes back to the last 200 years or 8 generations. In the case of the USA, it goes back to 1823. While not colonial (the republican era of the USA goes back around 47 more years and beyond that is colonial), it does brings to light if it's entirely true when some people say based on the fsmily history they were shown that all their ancestors lived in such-and-such states only until many years later. Did they?

Last edited by AntonioR; 01-31-2023 at 03:28 AM..

Old 01-31-2023, 07:32 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
Maine/Massachusetts/North Carolina on my mother's side, 100% Virginia on my father's side.

Old 01-31-2023, 08:52 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Ireland until the 1800s on both sides. Father's side settled in WI, mother's side settled in MA. I've since lived in NC, NJ, and TN.

Old 01-31-2023, 09:36 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
For my ancestors born in the U.S., it's just New Jersey (both maternal grandparents and my father).

For my wife it's just Pennsylvania (her parents). Therefore our kids can claim ancestors from 2 states.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:22 AM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Both sets of grandparents came to NY from Eastern Europe circa 1900.

They and my parents spent their lives in NY.

I moved to Phoenix 50 years ago.

My remaining siblings live in NYC.

Old 01-31-2023, 10:33 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Which US states make up your ancestral heritage?
The ones with an Atlantic seaport; from Plymouth Rock in MA (yes) and then down the coast through Charles Town SC and Savannah...
most though came in at the Chesapeake and most of those to one of the James River settlements.
I add "IMG" as a suffix to the name of everyone who crossed the Atlantic.

From there? All bets are off.

I found one real fun red herring: Remember Manuel from Captains Courageous?
A native Portugese fisherman who lived on Nantucket latter half of the 1800's

Last edited by MrRational; 01-31-2023 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-31-2023, 11:49 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
My maternal ancestors came from Southern Norway to Minnesota and my paternal ones from Northern Norway.

This article sums up the reasons, the process and the general experience.

https://www.mnopedia.org/norwegian-i...tion-minnesota

I thought it was worth noting that part of the selling point was that there was little risk of being sold into slavery here, something few people today are aware was a problem for European immigrants as well as others. Nonetheless, being different than those who were already here they recounted stories of discrimination , scorn and exploitation. Most of them formed small, homogenous communities as a protection against social discomfort and as a means of aiding each other, there being little governmental assistance with adjustment.

There was some deception with the developers who coaxed Norwegians to come with brochures that stated they would find a climate and environment similar to their Norwegian home. Um, yeah, sorta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy