Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM

37,639 posts, read 46,052,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
The ones in my area laughed at the hot pepper. I tried the seeds/suet cakes with the pepper already in it, as well as just adding cayenne pepper directly into the feeder.

What does work are the Squirrel Buster feeders. I have had them for over ten years and each generation of squirrel tries their best, but they never succeed (other than getting a seed that gets stuck under the bottom). The folks at Brome provide great customer service. No relation to the company - just a very satisfied consumer.
Oh mine definitely do NOT like the hot pepper. In fact I am going to start buying it by the quart and sprinkling it around my flowers to keep them from digging.

I have one squirrel buster feeder, but they still managed to get to the birdseed somehow. The pepper though - that seems to keep them rather disinterested. I think a few new ones came to town and they have been digging after discovering the birdseed was not appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

5,906 posts, read 6,118,030 times
We can have a fair bit of mosquitoes, but I seem to have gotten immune to them. Rabbits and voles can be a problem for winter damage to perennials, and squirrels can dig up things we don't want dug up (ex seedlings) while chipmunks steal fruit. Wasps and slugs can be annoying too, as well as Japanese beetles, cucumber beetles, squash vine borers, cabbage worms and aphids, but generally not devastating. The dandelion situation also feels a bit hopeless.

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

11,398 posts, read 24,471,338 times
Bermuda grass, sheep sorrel, fire ants, vetch, armadillos, deer, and crab grass. I don’t mind most insects, birds, squirrels or chipmunks. Wild hogs tore up a newly mulched area where we were trying to improve the soil. They uprooted bulbs and even shrubs leaving a trail of poop and destruction half a mile long.

Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,214,293 times
Weeds are a thing. But I don't use herbicides on my food. And then the deer show up out of season when I am trying to grow things. For them. For later. When they are in season. I have the perfect stainless steel broadhead pesticide that works wonders on them .... YUMMY .

Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM

2,981 posts, read 1,654,940 times
Chipmunks.
They're so cute but they eat everything in sight.
Especially fond of half-ripe tomatoes

Old Today, 06:57 AM

5,658 posts, read 3,167,235 times
My husband and son.

They have decided my daffodils and iris beds are havens to mice and weeds so they mowed them over.

I am not happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden