Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 07:11 AM

982 posts, read 542,512 times

Advertisements

I donate to Arborday and they send trees for your donation, but there is a box to check "do not send trees", which I forgot this year, so I have been given 5 serviceberry rootling trees. My brother took 2 because he needs some trees in his front yard. I have 3 left and not sure where to plant them as I already have quite a few trees. I know nothing about them except what Arbor day said in the planting instructions. They make edible berries and pretty white flowers.

Does anyone know how close together I can plant them and how they do in hot weather (it is high desert so we do get over 100 degree summer days).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 01:57 PM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
They also are called shadbush and juneberry. The berries are yummy if you can get to them before the birds.

Rather than me explaining:

https://www.planetnatural.com/serviceberry-tree/

Old 04-18-2024, 02:20 PM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
I've heard them called Saskatoon here in Alaska. Since these trees grow well in far north latitudes I have my doubts on how comfortably they can tolerate hot conditions.

Old 04-19-2024, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I've heard them called Saskatoon here in Alaska. Since these trees grow well in far north latitudes I have my doubts on how comfortably they can tolerate hot conditions.
That was my concern as well. I am putting some acidic mulch on them since our soil is very alkaline (so much so that it bubbles when we pour vinegar on it and that keeps the weeds down).

I suspect they will take more water than most trees that grow well here too. I will see how well they do in the next couple of years.

Old 04-20-2024, 05:26 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
They do well here, which is warmer than Alaska, but still a fair bit cooler than Albuquerque. Daytime temps are mostly in the 70s-80s here in the summer, and we're in Zone 5. I know they still do well enough in Zone 6 where it's mostly in the 80s in the summer. They tend to flower in early spring, around the same time as forsythias, star magnolias, and daffodils and tulips. That works out to late April here, but might mean late February in Albuquerque?

Old 04-21-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memph View Post
They do well here, which is warmer than Alaska, but still a fair bit cooler than Albuquerque. Daytime temps are mostly in the 70s-80s here in the summer, and we're in Zone 5. I know they still do well enough in Zone 6 where it's mostly in the 80s in the summer. They tend to flower in early spring, around the same time as forsythias, star magnolias, and daffodils and tulips. That works out to late April here, but might mean late February in Albuquerque?
Wow, for me 70 - 80 degrees in daytime in summer is cold. We get that in the fall and spring and if by the end of april we haven't gotten an 80 degree day we complain and think something is wrong.

We get 90's in May, high 90's in June, over 100 in July and high 90's in August, low 90s and high 80's in September. Not like Yuma Arizona where winter means it gets down to 80 degrees but we get lots of sunshine and low humidity.

Old 04-21-2024, 09:55 PM

5,898 posts, read 6,102,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Wow, for me 70 - 80 degrees in daytime in summer is cold. We get that in the fall and spring and if by the end of april we haven't gotten an 80 degree day we complain and think something is wrong.

We get 90's in May, high 90's in June, over 100 in July and high 90's in August, low 90s and high 80's in September. Not like Yuma Arizona where winter means it gets down to 80 degrees but we get lots of sunshine and low humidity.
We've hit 70F this April already (even hit 67F in early March), and will most likely high 80F in May, and occasionally hit 90F every couple of years, but averages are lower. April daytime highs average in the 50s, May in the 60s, June in the 70s, even July only averages in the high 70s.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:18 AM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
We have a few serviceberry/Saskatoon trees, planted them from nursery stock/bareroot about 10 years ago. They are over 15ft tall now and beautiful. We have very alkaline soil and obviously wicked temp conditions. We get some 90-100deg days in the summer and -30's in the winter. They seem to be well adapted for our climate.

They grew wild in West Virginia, where they were called 'Sarvis' trees. They were the first flowering anything and back in the D-A-Y the first burials in the Spring after the snow melted they were used in funeral services to bury the winter dead holdovers.

https://www.wvencyclopedia.org/artic...cky%20outcrops.

Quote:
Serviceberries are also called Juneberries or sarvis. There are five species in West Virginia, including three shrubs and two small trees. Serviceberries are found throughout the state, growing in fence-rows, thickets, woods, and on rocky outcrops.

In New England, serviceberries are called shad bush because they bloom in early spring when the shad fish move upstream to spawn. In the southern Appalachians, serviceberry is the preferred name. In pioneer days, circuit-riding preachers would hold early spring funeral services for all people who had died when deep snows prevented travel. These funeral services occurred when the serviceberry was in full bloom.

Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
We have a few serviceberry/Saskatoon trees, planted them from nursery stock/bareroot about 10 years ago. They are over 15ft tall now and beautiful. We have very alkaline soil and obviously wicked temp conditions. We get some 90-100deg days in the summer and -30's in the winter. They seem to be well adapted for our climate.

They grew wild in West Virginia, where they were called 'Sarvis' trees. They were the first flowering anything and back in the D-A-Y the first burials in the Spring after the snow melted they were used in funeral services to bury the winter dead holdovers.

https://www.wvencyclopedia.org/artic...cky%20outcrops.
Thanks. I am going to plant them and see how they do. Just have to find someplace to put them.

Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

19,767 posts, read 22,666,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat56 View Post
Thanks. I am going to plant them and see how they do. Just have to find someplace to put them.
Ours are about ready to bloom. I can snap a few photos when they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden