Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,434,489 times

Advertisements

We've got 3 Home Depots and 4 Lowe's plus I looked it up and we have at least 3 Lesco stores (that I've never seen despite apparently driving past a few of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 06:59 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,156,393 times
Default Crabgrass Preventer

Nice! Pick and choose then, should give you a good selection.

Another one I like is Sta Green Crab Ex; ever used this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
We've got 3 Home Depots and 4 Lowe's plus I looked it up and we have at least 3 Lesco stores (that I've never seen despite apparently driving past a few of them).

Old 03-03-2016, 01:21 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
I've got the builder special: bermuda sod in front and fescue seed in back.

My lot was a mess of trees, weeds and vines when I picked it. Not the best starting point. I moved in towards the middle of October 2013.

The first year was not much more than lots of water and an organic liquid fertilizer I have. The fert is a 10-3-4, actually a hort product, but it works equally well on grass. I also put out some lime. It was a full bag but I can't remember how much. I wasn't bashful about it, that's for sure.

The first winter, I spent a few nice afternoons with a screwdriver and beat-up butterknife popping out all manner of weeds. I focused on the bigger stuff first and then worked my way down in somewhat of a grid pattern. I was also making sure I got as many nails and screws up as I could. There were tons of them.

Spring, 2014 opened with Scott's fert with the pre-emergent and a hefty shot of the liquid fertilizer. I followed that up a month later with another round of the liquid. By June the lines between sod rolls were disappearing quickly.

July was hot and dry. My water bill reflected that. I had to make sure the grass was really established and had a chance. I didn't, and still don't, trust this builder's work. Summer and Fall applications of the Scott's stuff. A few more passes with the liquid. By the end of the summer I had a pretty good looking lawn. I was pleased based on where I started. Neighbors were doing thier best to walk a path in my yard as they walked their dogs. 2 of them would take their shoes off.

Over the winter the yard got a few more spot treatments with Round Up and the screwdriver. One very early pass with the liquid again around February because i needed to get outside. Wife and kids....

Spring 2015 had my yard green faster than anyone else. As soon as it greened up all I did was spread the Scott's and a pass of liquid. Scott's in the Summer and 2 more passes of liquid and I had grass so this it would choke out your average homeowner grade push mower. It's kind of funny how defined the line is between my yard and the neighbor's. Even right now, it is almost a perfectly straight line, very distinct.

This year will be more of the same. Scott's and liquid. I'm going to try to make the bermuda grow in the back yard now that I've removed a few trees. This ought to be fun.

I guess my point is, you can have a nice yard using just the Scott's and water. I use the liquid because I have it, and I really like mowing. I'm eyeballing a nice 30" eXmark for this year since my 48 and 52 are a bit too wide to get the stripe patterns I want. I want to play checkers on my stripes.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:30 AM

No question about it as I used Scott's Turf Builder for years and loved it!

Then I found Lesco which gave me better results, at a lower cost, and offers slower release in a wide variety of products for how to high in nitrogen. I also prefer it as I feel I can customize based on my own personal needs instead of using more of a standardize product.

Might use Ironite for the first time this year, anyone familiar with it?

If you're looking for some how to guides and great general lawn care information check out the following.

Lawn Care Nut https://youtu.be/u7d-UGE90mM

Lawn Care Nut Before and After project http://youtu.be/XaWrFTVsXbs

Old 03-03-2016, 10:02 PM

movin2Reston - I went to the two closest Site One / Lesco locations today. They were both wholesalers. They did mention that another location sells retail so I may head out that way tomorrow. They also said that Site One has only been in the area since October 2015.

I use either Ironite or Milorganite for greening up my lawn. I like Ironite.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:27 AM

Several years ago:

Lesco became John Deer, which then became Site One. I have 2 or 3 locations in the area and all of them have always been helpful and catered to the homeowner.

Can you elaborate on Ironite? I was at Costco yesterday and noticed they carry it. How does it compare with Milorganite (cost, greening, lasting, etc.)

Quote:
movin2Reston - I went to the two closest Site One / Lesco locations today. They were both wholesalers. They did mention that another location sells retail so I may head out that way tomorrow. They also said that Site One has only been in the area since October 2015.

I use either Ironite or Milorganite for greening up my lawn. I like Ironite.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:17 AM

To me they're interchangeable. IIRC Ironite is cheaper than Milorganite, but has a bit lower Nitrogen and has a more pleasant aroma. Neither will burn the lawn, both green up within a week, and I haven't noticed a difference between how long they last. When it's time to buy, I get whichever one is available.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:17 AM

Good to hear. I saw Ironite yesterday at Costco and their price can't be beat so I think I'll give that a shot.

Quote:
To me they're interchangeable. IIRC Ironite is cheaper than Milorganite, but has a bit lower Nitrogen and has a more pleasant aroma. Neither will burn the lawn, both green up within a week, and I haven't noticed a difference between how long they last. When it's time to buy, I get whichever one is available.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM

Ground temperatures are creeping up. Be sure to get your crabgrass control down in time before the forsysthia in your area is blooming.

Old 03-10-2016, 01:24 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
I just added Lime. I heard Lime and Ironite do not mix well because the Calcium interacts badly with the Lime or something like that.

Lime Only has worked for me over the years, but the Ironite caught my attention this year. I will wait 90 days before applying the Ironite unless I see my grass is green enough.

I believe the bottom line is

Ironite = Greener Grass blades even without growth
Lime = Neutralizing the soil so the grass gets more nutrition and grows healthier
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden