Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 06:33 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Sometime during COVID (when it became impossible to get an in-person haircut), I decided to just try cutting my own hair at home, and purchased a $60 Wahl clipper set.

That was over three years ago now; doing some math - I used to get a haircut every 2-3 months (call it 5x per year), at around $20 per time = $100/year. So, that would have been just over $300 to date, instead of the actual $60 - and each passing year adds another $100 not spent.

This only works because I keep my hair relatively short and simple - if it was longer and more styled, I don't think I could get good results trying to do it myself, but I'm fine with that - my hair pretty much looks the same as how I've kept it for decades, so this works for me.
I've been cutting my own hair for 30 years. Pretty good at it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2024, 05:40 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
I bought a ROBOCUT, around 30+ years ago. Works great. (It has a rotary cutter, unlike the reciprocating Flowbee). Best of all, as the hair thins, it takes less time to cut. (LOL)

Old 03-07-2024, 12:14 PM

23 posts, read 36,673 times
[quote=harry chickpea;66478953]I've been cutting my own with a Flowbee (waves to George Clooney) since the late 1990s.]

Does the Flowbee allow for cutting short? I have mine cut about a finger-width long on top and with a zero hair guard on the sides. I also go every 3 weeks. I pay $20 with tip each time. But I'd like to go less often.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:20 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times
I've been cutting my own hair for many years. The last time I went to a barber for a haircut they cost five dollars.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:30 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
I cut my own hair during covid. I had no idea what I was doing, and ended up looking like Kenny Powers.

I was fine with it, and thought it was funny.

Wife didn't think it was funny.

My barber used to charge $20 for haircut. She keeps raising her prices, and now she is up $35. Getting kinda pricey, but so is everything else.

Old 03-07-2024, 12:48 PM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
I've learned how to cut my hair because I always had disagreements with different barbers. It's like hiring someone to paint a painting and they have their own style different than mine.

Old 03-07-2024, 01:23 PM

126,264 posts, read 19,031,286 times
I have been cutting and trimming my hair since many years.It takes time, but the time I have.

Old 03-08-2024, 11:34 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Also, I don't have to trim my back head anymore so just paying someone full price just to have the sides and do some hair tip trimming is a huge waste of money. Unless you need a really short neat trim, just a simple cut is not worth it monthly.

Old 03-11-2024, 03:47 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Sometime during COVID (when it became impossible to get an in-person haircut), I decided to just try cutting my own hair at home, and purchased a $60 Wahl clipper set.

That was over three years ago now; doing some math - I used to get a haircut every 2-3 months (call it 5x per year), at around $20 per time = $100/year. So, that would have been just over $300 to date, instead of the actual $60 - and each passing year adds another $100 not spent.

This only works because I keep my hair relatively short and simple - if it was longer and more styled, I don't think I could get good results trying to do it myself, but I'm fine with that - my hair pretty much looks the same as how I've kept it for decades, so this works for me.
I was going to my barber until early 2021 when I had a run in with him. He was pro-vaccination - anti-mask. I'm anti-vaccination - pro-mask. I still wear one everywhere I go. He was constantly trying to get me to take off my mask while i was getting my haircut. Which I refused to do. Finally he demanded that I get a vaccination card or he wouldn't cut my hair. I told him, hell no. I also warned him that the vaccination wouldn't prevent him or me from getting COVID, and I walked out.

So I bought a pair of Surker Cordless Mens Hair Clippers for $35.00 on Amazon. Great clippers, easy to use. At first I cut my hair once a month at 0.5 length. But after I got used to really short hair, I wanted it even shorter. So now I cut it about every 6 days at 0 length, and I shave the sides and back. I'm very satisfied with the results. I have no plans to ever go to a barber again.

Incidentally according to social media posts, about 3 months after he stopped cutting my hair, the barber got COVID. Then he raised the price for his haircuts from $15 to $25 to cover any future losses due to COVID. I think the real reason he had to raise his prices was because he lost at least 90% of his business with his vaccination card BS. In all the years I was getting my haircut by him, the nicest thing he ever did for me was refuse to cut my hair. I'm sure he would have given me COVID if I had continued getting haircuts from him.

Now I save $150 a year not having to pay for haircuts, and another $50 not having to tip. It's good.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:11 PM

1,859 posts, read 837,121 times
thing i hate about barbers, we got a neighborhood barber and he closes on saturday at noon, all the parenst round up all the kids and cut hair on saturday, so if you not standing at the door at 6am, you not getting cut. nothing worst than twenty 10 year olds running around wasting time, and a simple cut is $20
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living