Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 06:07 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,038,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Sometimes you can get better pricing in July/August back to school than Black Friday. I did not notice deals this year. I monitor Lenovo when I am in the market. The Thinkpads are Mil Specs and durable. After killing a couple Sony's in short order (when they were a thing) I switched to Thinkpads and have not looked back.
I always buy USED Lenovo laptops due to the pointing stick. Last one was $200 with 16 gigs of RAM and a 500 mb ssd hard drive.

I don't like supporting the People's Liberation Army, but if the US Government doesn't care, what I do won't make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I buy my travel laptops used. From very high end commercial upgrades. $3000 laptop for $300, wiped, new fast and Large SSHD, reloaded with new software (all for $300). I use aluminum cased (solid & robust) travel laptops. Heavier than I'd prefer, but bulletproof. Since they're cheap, I keep a spare as clone. These are very well equipped for graphics and CPU, as I do a lot of complex 3d CAD. (But no gaming).

Since I keep multiple homes across USA and world, I have a docking station and multiple displays at each home. My laptop is my main machine. My newest version is about 4 years old. Docking station is very slim (this version was for business travelers). Not my favorite brand, but performs well. I have a spare parts one (bought for $120)
Buying a new laptop is sheer madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 08:54 PM

523 posts, read 1,679,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I buy my travel laptops used. From very high end commercial upgrades. $3000 laptop for $300, wiped, new fast and Large SSHD, reloaded with new software (all for $300). I use aluminum cased (solid & robust) travel laptops. Heavier than I'd prefer, but bulletproof. Since they're cheap, I keep a spare as clone. These are very well equipped for graphics and CPU, as I do a lot of complex 3d CAD. (But no gaming).

Since I keep multiple homes across USA and world, I have a docking station and multiple displays at each home. My laptop is my main machine. My newest version is about 4 years old. Docking station is very slim (this version was for business travelers). Not my favorite brand, but performs well. I have a spare parts one (bought for $120)
Buying refurbished is what I do, too. Over the years, I used to spend $$ on new ThinkPads. Hardware-wise, these have been great. I'd use them for years until they "aged out" due to forced software progression.

Last year, I found myself in the same position, but didn't want to spend $$ for another new laptop. Instead, I found the same Dell Latitude model as my employer-issued device (which has been super reliable) on Amazon from an authorized refurbisher in Maryland for $250. This laptop has been stellar - exactly like new. And similar to what you do, only in the same house ;-) , I can swap laptops and use the same docking station, monitors, etc.

Old 12-20-2023, 09:19 PM

2,048 posts, read 990,078 times
I'm frugal and am done with refurbished laptops. I've done it for years and within 1-2 years they start fading. Battery wears out, hard drive failures, and just planned obsolescence. My last refurb laptop came from Amazon, arrived as a defective piece of crap, and caused me to spend the past two months fighting a dispute on the return...I finally won. Amazon has permanently lost my business because of that.

During that debacle I purchased a basic laptop directly from the Dell website, under $400, and everything works. Problem solved. Sometimes it doesn't pay to be frugal when it comes to electronics. I hope to keep this laptop as long as possible, as long as it does what I need it to do. I have a couple other 10 yr old computers in use, because they still work just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living