Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2023, 05:59 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Overtourism is a thing, and yes, there are too many people these days for anyone who is even remotely introverted. There was a lot of pent-up "Let's get out this year!" after covid. Covid itself may have also contributed to some saving money over that period and then splurging on a trip this year.

Aside from leaf color, a lot of people in the south wait until cooler weather to vacation. Hot, sweaty, crowded places are no fun for some of us, especially if there isn't Disney quality air conditioning.

Pedantically, a "toll freeway" is an oxymoron, but yes, prices for motels and hotels are insane - AND - when you read reviews, many have issues with bedbugs. Those prices peak during "season." Travel during the off-season can be a lot more pleasant and a lot less expensive.

I was in college in NYC over fifty years ago. It didn't feel overly crowded, except for some of the subway, which was 15 cents to ride anywhere in the system except Far Rockaway back then, IIRC. I took advantage of the time to explore back then, and am glad I did.

I liked the buzz of activity in cities, but satisfied that need years ago. Broadway still calls to me from time to time, but most of the rest holds little interest.
Maybe it was the cooling off temps that drew people. Funny, but we had a heat wave with 80 degree fall temps. It was HOT for a couple of days. By the time I got back to Knoxville, we had lows in the 30s. Go figure.

Here I thought I WAS traveling off season - a full month after Labor Day.

I checked for bed bugs at every stay before I even brought my luggage into the room. All good. All mattresses were completely eveloped with mattress covers that had no seems for bedbugs to hide, but I did check headboards and the wall behind the bed. All were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2023, 09:47 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
$29 flights on SWA.
$0 hospitality guest home with...
fully stocked fridge.
Free use of ebikes
$2 Taco Tuesday

= Very nice vacation for less than the cost of a tank of gas. Or a trip to the grocery store.

Friends flew to Florida last week, and walked to and from Airport to enjoy the weather and save money. They used free miles for flight, (got $350 flight credits for getting bumped). Hotel vouchers were free too.

Spouse just booked Hawaii flight for $82 +free companion. Sis' (2) live in HI, so lodging, car, and food is free.

Vacation does not have to be expensive.

Do what best suits you. (I like to travel.... Inexpensively and often) I've been home nearly 2 months this year catching up on projects I set aside while traveling too much. 2021 I was only home (9) days.

Since 2024 is an election year, I hope I'm never in the USA during those years. (Ick)

Old 11-11-2023, 10:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
My recent trip was not worth the cost. $5,000 for 2 weeks. No airfare involved. Just driving.

Hotels in Newport RI and Alexandria VA were all north of $250/night.
Even between tourist areas it was hard to get a decent hotel for under $175/night. Whatever happened to the $99 hotel? Gone, just gone unless you get a Red Roof Inn type or worse. Maybe that is in my future.

Venues were mobbed with people and parking was always difficult. ....

Only Winchester, VA was not ruined by crowds and traffic.

Valley Forge was the surprise gem of the trip. It was huge, beautiful, peaceful, and sane. A nice respite from the chaos of the rest of my "vacation".

This was late October, not high summer. I know fall foliage is not "off peak" but it is not the summer rush either. I was shocked how jam-pack crowded everything was in late October.

It could be the cost and crowds were due to fall foliage season.... I timed it to drive up the Blue Ridge Parkway with fall color, ...

My travel days may be over. I figure, by 70 years old my body will be telling me my travel days are over anyway. I just don't have the stamina or walkability anymore. Bummer.
72 yo friends just returned from a similar fall color east coast trip 15-31oct via rental car. Parking was steep in DC, but they hadn't taken my seasoned advice.

They loved their days in Williamsburg and on BRP, and sent several pics daily. It really was a special and easy trip for them. They were so grateful!

So Ymmv.
Sometimes it's great, sometimes not so great. Gotta win a few, and take an occasional loss.

Rental car prices are my current disappointment, so I'm using other alternatives. (But really prefer to have the freedom of wheels. )

Trying to determine new options.

A friend keeps a motorcycle in Germany for $300/ yr. That gives them options. They house-sat last year 1 month each in Portugal, France, Italy, then to Albania. And Croatia. Cheap and relaxing few months away from USA.

Old 01-07-2024, 09:52 AM

972 posts, read 541,714 times
I'd say that if there's something in Florida, for example, that you really want to do, it's worth it if you can plan your expenses in advance. But if you're going to Florida just for the sake of having gone to Florida, I'd say it's better to hold off until you find the experience that will be right for you.

Some people don't care to travel and see new places. It can be difficult to relate to for those of us who thrive on it, but some people just don't get anything out of it. If that's you, just stay local and do the things you prefer to do with your free time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living