Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 12:15 PM

746 posts, read 493,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
So --
Don't add bacon or sausage (not healthy for you anyway).
Don't add potatoes - they are not healthy for you and have little nutritional value anyway.
Don't add OJ - it is not healthy for you as it is mostly sugar.

Toast is cheap - about 20 cents per slice. Just don't make it white toast, as that is not healthy for you.
Coffee is cheap - It's about 35 cents for a mug of brewed coffee. I roast my own. Friends don't let friends drink Charbucks.
I believe Starbucks still gives out coffee for free but you can check. These are huge bags of coffee grounds already used but since their coffee is so strong, it basically made a medium cup of coffee for free.

All bread is really bad for you. If you must, buy Sourdough. We only buy sourdough and only for the occasional tuna fish sandwich

OJ has no nutrition. It remains in huge Vats, so over-processed there is no juice left. Then added sugars so it's really bad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYagKRCUCgQ

Organic potatoes are healthy but there are so many carbs you just cannot eat them very often

Last edited by Pip-Squeak; 01-23-2023 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2023, 06:27 PM

5,327 posts, read 6,012,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
<snip>

Organic potatoes are healthy, but there are so many carbs you just cannot eat them very often.
What? Carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram. Proteins have 4 calories per gram. Fats have 9 calories per gram. Potatoes were a main staple during the Great Depression. They, were, in fact, life sustaining. Unless one has a particular need to avoid high glycemic foods, potatoes are fine.

Old 01-25-2023, 07:32 PM

119 posts, read 71,785 times
I think for diabetic-corn,potato and rice are all bad news.
During the Great Depression,saw dust is mixed with ground meat .
used coffee grind is spread on a sheet of newspaper and let dry to be used again

Old 01-25-2023, 10:13 PM

81 posts, read 46,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
What? Carbohydrates have 4 calories per gram. Proteins have 4 calories per gram. Fats have 9 calories per gram. Potatoes were a main staple during the Great Depression. They, were, in fact, life sustaining. Unless one has a particular need to avoid high glycemic foods, potatoes are fine.

This.

Also, it depends how potatoes are prepared.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Yes Potatoes were life sustaining meaning they kept people alive in the Depression whose bodies needed a TON of Carbs. Calories I do not count them nor did I mention them and sure, when you are starving to death, you need them. As I said, they are fine once in a while. I appreciate potatoes have a good amount of potassium which many of us, in the general public, are lacking. But again, they are full of CARBS.

High glycemic foods do not apply to us nor to most people so I cannot comment. I have no knowledge of that subject.

I am just talking generally here. Potatoes are okay for once in a while.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampleapricots View Post
This.

Also, it depends how potatoes are prepared.
Good point. Boiled tends to boil out all of the nutrition so we bake them. We also add 100% Grass Fed Butter.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:17 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip-Squeak View Post
I believe Starbucks still gives out coffee for free but you can check. These are huge bags of coffee grounds already used but since their coffee is so strong, it basically made a medium cup of coffee for free.

All bread is really bad for you. If you must, buy Sourdough. We only buy sourdough and only for the occasional tuna fish sandwich

OJ has no nutrition. It remains in huge Vats, so over-processed there is no juice left. Then added sugars so it's really bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYagKRCUCgQ

Organic potatoes are healthy but there are so many carbs you just cannot eat them very often

Not all bread is bad, but very nutritious bread is a bit expensive. Think Dave's Killer.

Orange juice has vitamin C and a fair amount of potassium, though you can get both of those from other foods. There aren't added sugars.

Potatoes have potassium, too.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...OC_TITLE_HDR_3

A City-Data member posted about this a while ago and I learned a lot. I hope that you do too.

Old 01-27-2023, 07:53 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Potatoes cooked with the skin on have a high level of fibre, which is important in many ways. Bread, again if high in fibre, is very good for you. I do think American bread may contain more sugar than ours but best read the labels properly. Increasing the fibre in your diet tends to lower cholesterol, certainly has for me.

Old 01-28-2023, 10:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
A lot depends on how much time you have. Fast preparation foods tend to cost more and are less healthy. On the other end of the spectrum, if you have all the time in the world, raise your own foods. Productive animals can be a replacement for expensive pets. Get some chickens instead of a cat, a pig instead of a dog (unless you eat dogs). Raise edible fish in your pond. You can also eat many kinds of bugs. Bugs can be high in nutrients and are easy and cheap to raise. Crickets are a good example.

Old 01-28-2023, 02:39 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
We bake potatoes or sweet potatoes. I make cornbread from scratch and we have a can of Heinz baked beans over it along with a vegetable. No more ice cream because it's now an expensive luxury. Oatmeal (the regular kind) made in a pan or the slow cooker. I buy Amy's frozen products only when they're on sale--love their burritoes.

Using coupons a lot on things I'd be buying anyway. Get a lot of ground beef on sale and freeze it to make meatloaf, hamburgers, put on top of a frozen pizza or in tomato sauce. I don't buy much now unless it's on sale or from the outlet grocery store. Bananas went from 49 cents to 69 cents and as high as 89 cents but in the outlet grocery store it's $1.00/bunch of Chiquita bananas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living