Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2024, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 290 times

Advertisements

I appreciate all the posts from others looking to move to Frederick with specific questions about kids or work constraints. Very helpful background.

Our question is a little different since we are thinking about moving to Frederick as a place to retire, in our case moving from Long Island NY.

We are in our late 60s, and love Frederick's walkable and diverse downtowns, many walkable communities and trails, all the locally-owned stores, farmer's markets, the arts center, concerts by the creek, and many vegan dining options. Mostly, we love how friendly everyone is.

We would love to find a welcoming neighborhood with some neighbors our age who are also looking for new friends bridging to or in retirement, (I still work part time from home), and also be close to community or public amenities like a pool, courts of some kind, walking trails, etc. We would love to find an existing home with a little charm and some mature landscaping. We don't mind finding an older home and giving it some TLC. An established townhouse without too many stairs might work too.

So far, we are drawn to parts of Wormans Mill, Spring Ridge and the historic homes near Hood College, especially any more affordable ones that might need some work inside. Lake Linganore is beautiful, but we are not comfortable thinking about driving some of those roads as we get older. Also no need to get closer to DC and pay more for a shorter commute (Urbana). Also, we want to avoid future flooding risks since we hope to be in our next home for many years.

Any input on these neighborhoods, especially for retirees? How easy to make friends?
Any other areas in Frederick we should consider?
Any suggestions for best ways to meet other local retirees, no matter the neighborhood?
What question should we have asked? What is it we don't know?

Thanks for any/all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 07:00 AM

6,598 posts, read 11,335,246 times
Wormans's Mills is a nice area - I just moved to this neck of wood not too long ago (technically Market Square/Commons). Frederick in general is a great place. The median age is certainly on the younger side (37 per google) - so if you're looking for retirees, they might not be dime a dozen. I feel the easiness of making friends will depend on the neighborhood. It seems parents tend to have an easier time (bus stops, tot lots, etc.). For the rest of us, it just depends on how active you are within the neighborhood.

My only concern is the traffic. SR 15 is a mess. That stretch between 26 and 40 is pretty much congested all day long. And no surprise, it's a 1.5 mile stretch with 5 exits. And this area is continuing to grow.

The one aspect to be clear about is the tax situation. Frederick has a city tax, and the city lines are fairly wide. I don't know if Wormans Mill proper is considered in the city, but I am considered within the limits and pay the city tax. If you are, also find out the amenities that you are entitled to (community center, etc.).

Commute is one of the worst parts of living in the DMV. I do have to go down towards DC once a week. Those days, I'm trying to avoid traffic by going in super early. I also avoid I270 - I'll take the scenic route so my blood pressure thanks me.

I'm not sure what your budget is or what else you are looking for - but if you are open to other areas, I came from Howard County (Ellicott City) - it's closer to Baltimore. Pricier, but might have what you are looking for. There are also no shortage of communities along I70 between Frederick and Ellicott City.

Old 05-02-2024, 09:07 AM

2 posts, read 290 times
Thanks for your suggestions and insights Macroy. Commute is not a worry for us but of course no one likes traffic so I appreciate the heads up. Hoping that there are lots of options to connect with other retirees in whatever neighborhood we find ourselves, wherever that may be, and through community activities. Love the walkable downtown and vegan food options in Frederick so were hoping to find a place close by (w/i 10-15 minutes if possible).

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

5,120 posts, read 6,130,982 times
I know I'm seeing this late but I have one question first

Why Maryland at all? The features you mentioned can be found in many areas around the country so Why Maryland. Our taxes are high, our traffic is horrible (not just commuting but also just too and from shopping, recreation, etc). Our weather is 'interesting' at best.

Don't get me wrong. I love Maryland, have lived in Central MD my entire life except years I was in the Air Force. I retired here. But I have family and friends here. I am interested in Civil War and other local history. So I stay here and will probably be here until I die. But I know many people (ex co workers, schooltime associates, friends) who move out of Maryland when they retire because of (they say) taxes, cost of living, and weather.

So why choose to relocate and start over here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick