Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 09:49 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,565,832 times

Advertisements

People are much more likely to be priced out of their houses by an inability to pay their mortgage than their taxes.

My assessments*have always been well below market value, maybe not 25%, but at least 15%.

No one has tried to feed me, nor have I swallowed the rationale that development lowers taxes. You appear to be approaching the issue from an exclusively rural mindset where that rationale may be prevalent. In suburbia, the anti-development concerns are different and mostly revolve around matters of nimbyism, congestion, APF, etc. rather than any mention of lowering the tax liability, because that would be minimal.
There's a big world of other concerns out there.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2021, 10:01 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
People are much more likely to be priced out of their houses by an inability to pay their mortgage than their taxes.

My assessments*have always been well below market value, maybe not 25%, but at least 15%.

No one has tried to feed me, nor have I swallowed the rationale that development lowers taxes. You appear to be approaching the issue from an exclusively rural mindset where that rationale may be prevalent. In suburbia, the anti-development concerns are different and mostly revolve around matters of nimbyism, congestion, APF, etc. rather than any mention of lowering the tax liability, because that would be minimal.
There's a big world of other concerns out there.........
Actually I approach the issue from an overarching public policy perspective. The difference is that I actually understand how the system works and where various revenues originate.

If you think rising property tax bills is a solely rural issue and that suburbanites such as yourself aren't concerned you aren't paying attention. Or, more likely, filtering it through your particular beliefs.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:02 AM

A development of say 500 SHF, would barely get noticed in AA, MoCo, and PG, but might cause consternation in North Beach.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:28 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
A development of say 500 SHF, would barely get noticed in AA, MoCo, and PG, but might cause consternation in North Beach.
But we're not talking North Beach are we?

Earlier you postulated that a $50,000 piece of property would now go for $2,000,000. I pointed out downsides, which you airily dismiss.

If it's within Frederick City limits it damn sure will have an impact.

I've noticed you always try to denigrate any opinion or realism from anyone not from one of your suburban enclaves.

Old 09-01-2021, 01:30 PM

Unsurprisingly, once again you try to put words in my mouth.

I did not postulate that a $50,000 piece of property would now go for $2,000,000. I did note that some similar properties in NoVa did go for $2,000,000. I did suggest that land prices in Frederick might rise. I did say that that a land valuation of $2,000,000 is preferable to $50,000. I was speaking in the context of commercially zoned land because it indicates demand.

The site is about 5 miles outside the city limits. Suburban Frederick runs closer to the site.

Playing the "rural card" is unbecoming. It reveals your insecurities. In many instances, I have no idea whether someone with an opposing point of view is a city dweller, suburbanite, or rural dweller.

Old 10-07-2021, 06:46 PM

Here's why Data Centers are attractive.
In the last decade, Amazon Web Services alone has invested $35B in three Northern Va counties.

Quote:
Why so much spending in Virginia? Amazon’s $35 billion investment supports the AWS US-East Northern Virginia cloud region, which includes more than 50 data centers. It’s the largest single concentration of corporate data centers on earth, positioned near a strategic Internet intersection in Ashburn, which serves as a global crossroads for data traffic. As the cloud grows, the ability to add servers near Ashburn has become the table stakes for companies with ambitions in cloud computing.
https://datacenterfrontier.com/aws-h...-data-centers/

Old 11-11-2021, 02:12 PM

An update on the prospects for the Alcoa site. Wish I could buy lecky for 4.4c a KWH.

https://datacenterfrontier.com/quant...g-term-growth/

Old 11-16-2021, 04:04 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,231,290 times
Quote:
Here's why Data Centers are attractive.
In the last decade, Amazon Web Services alone has invested $35B in three Northern Va counties.
Meh. For anyone who was in a position to rely on AWS as a critical service is likely scratching their heads. Then again, it is Amazon.

Quote:
An update on the prospects for the Alcoa site. Wish I could buy lecky for 4.4c a KWH.

Not sure what to think about this. This is news to me, for sure. I almost bought in Adamstown, and now live a stone's throw from it. Perhaps this will give the County/State a reason to finally widen 15? Or, maybe this site will help increase my own property's value. I dunno. But sheesh, I moved out here to get away from people, and traffic.

Old 11-26-2021, 10:27 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:

Thanks. I wish the article explained who pays for subsidizing the electricity price of 4.4 cents per KWH. Even if the site sells excess power back to the electric company, that is a big break. For example, power costs us about 11 cents/KWH, but the power company pays us 5 cents for the output of our solar panels.

Old 11-26-2021, 03:01 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Meh. For anyone who was in a position to rely on AWS as a critical service is likely scratching their heads. Then again, it is Amazon.

Not sure what to think about this. This is news to me, for sure. I almost bought in Adamstown, and now live a stone's throw from it. Perhaps this will give the County/State a reason to finally widen 15? Or, maybe this site will help increase my own property's value. I dunno. But sheesh, I moved out here to get away from people, and traffic.

15 is not going to be widened any time soon. The State actually owns the right of way to make it 4 lanes from Point of Rocks up to the 15/340 merger (just look at the bridge where 15 goes under east bound 340) That was done way back in the early 60s when the state made a policy of always purchasing RoW for 4 lane. It made it easier to upgrade MD 32 south of I-70 when they finally got around to it after 40 years.

BUT the widening of 15 would be seen as giving in on the ongoing fight with Virginia about where the DC bypass should be located. MD has wanted it east of 495, VA has wanted it west of 495 using the US-15 corridor. This feud has been going on for at least 40 years (It was active when i moved back here out of the service in the mid 80s) and shows no sign of changing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick