Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 01:41 PM

3,549 posts, read 2,549,494 times

Advertisements

Working at Crabby John's on SR 7. Worst. Job. Ever. I think I lasted two weeks. I was on opening-1pm, so of course I missed actually getting the payments from most of my customers, who paid the next shift's waitress. I never got those tips. The earlier folks usually just got the early special, so if I was lucky, I'd go home with $5 in my pocket. That was just three days a week. Our "perk" was one bowl of salad from the salad bar during our shift, and free soda. I think he gave us something like $2/hour pay. I was a grown-ass adult, newly graduated from college and looking for full time work but everything available was minimum wage, with no benefits (because this is Florida).

Money-saving bonus though - I'd go to the A1A and I think it was the Sheraton Hotel there? They had a side-entry to the pool, so me and some others would go in that way, go to the bar, buy one draft beer for a buck and two free crappy taco tickets each, and have our lunch while hanging out at the pool like tourists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 09:35 PM

357 posts, read 1,587,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupitermadcat View Post
Hi everyone

Just wondering if anyone was living in Fort Lauderdale in the early 80s

and if you did do you remember a Roller rink Off Oakland park Blvd and Federal Hwy? i can't for the life of me remember the name all i remember is for a while they served beer and wine until they found out drinking and skating didn't mix i wish i had pictures LOL but it was a cool place at the time
I lived in Dade County then, but did go on a date when I was 17 there. It was called the Super Skating Center. My date got wasted and I remember having to drive his 1970 Dodge Charger all the way back to Hialeah. I was so mad. Needless to say, I did not go out with that guy again. lol

Old 06-06-2024, 08:46 PM

6,906 posts, read 11,298,629 times
Smile Just found this thread.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Owner of the Down Under just died last week.....

Leonce Picot, South Florida restaurant giant who ran La Vieille Maison, dies at 86 - southflorida.com

His restaurants were for special occasions and leisurely, well-lubricated business lunches, elegant places where champagne corks popped, diamond rings changed nervous hands and anniversaries were celebrated with caviar and lemon souffle. He did not cook, but Leonce Picot knew how to make beautiful memories.

“People still come up to me all the time and say, ‘I got engaged at Casa Vecchia,’ or ‘I remember going to the Down Under on prom night,’ ” Picot’s daughter, Laura Picot Sayles, said after his death on Friday. “It’s remarkable to see how people are still so emotionally attached to these restaurants and my father after all these years.”
I only went to Casa Vecchia a few times but it was AMAZING. Absolutely wonderful. Loved it. I was a very young girl then but loved it. Will always remember.

Old 06-07-2024, 06:44 AM

3,335 posts, read 3,293,836 times
Had dinner at La Vieille Maison with a guy who eventually would become my (ex) fiancée. The atmosphere and food were so fancy! I was barely in my mid-20’s and thought I had gone to restaurant heaven, it just was so very opulent, and for a new college grad, a big dent in my budget.

I remember my ex being such a buzz kill—thought it was over priced, the food was just OK, didn’t like the pretentiousness of the presentation and surroundings. He came close to ruining the evening with his complaints.

Oh well, it was a sign of things to come as he did become an ex!

RIP Mr. Picot. You brought sophistication and delight to the South Florida restaurant scene.

Old 06-07-2024, 03:19 PM

27,339 posts, read 44,353,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
They closed at 2:00am.

One of the only places that stayed open until 4:00am was City Limits.
And The Copa.

Old 06-07-2024, 03:25 PM

27,339 posts, read 44,353,208 times
Who else remembers the restaurant called The Left Bank? It was one of the few most highly-rated restaurants in Fort Lauderdale for many years. Amazing French food with great service and a romantic atmosphere on SE 6th Ave near Las Olas.

Old 06-08-2024, 06:08 PM

17,637 posts, read 22,418,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Who else remembers the restaurant called The Left Bank? It was one of the few most highly-rated restaurants in Fort Lauderdale for many years. Amazing French food with great service and a romantic atmosphere on SE 6th Ave near Las Olas.
Don't remember it but there was an article in the SunSentinel this week saying 6 high end restaurants closed on Las Olas in the last couple months. I'd bet the rent/ lack of parking/ constant threat of redoing Las Olas made it an easy decision for those restaurant owners.

Old Today, 06:42 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,016,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

The owner of The Left Bank, situated right above the northern entrance to the New River Tunnel, was Jean-Pierre Bréhier. He opened the restaurant in 1976 and ran it until he sold it in 1997. During the late 1970s I worked at the Mobil gas station on Las Olas and he was a regular customer. Nice guy as I remember.

He is now a YouTube celebrity with his channel Chef Jean-Pierre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area