Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 08:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times

Advertisements

Havent researched about this so just asking a basic question. In case of a foreclosure , what happens to our equity ? Do I lose everything ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 08:41 PM

513 posts, read 896,866 times
they will sell the home and any profit over the loan payoff and expenses(which can add up quickly) goes to any other interested parties first, then finally to you. so if you have a 2nd or owe taxes those get paid first out of the sale before you can see anything. in the majority of cases, yes if it is foreclosed and you are unable to redeem it then you won't see a dime. it does vary by state, so this is just a very general answer.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:16 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
If you have any equity, it would behoove you to try to get a cash offer even at break if you cant catch up on pmts to stop foreclosure.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:42 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,032,982 times
My question is simple. If I take a 300k loan on a 400k hpuse. Assume I have paid 50k upfront and 25k in interest over few years. If the outstanding is 250k and if its foreclosed and they sell for 300k , what happens to my original 50k upfront that I paid? Do they keep the house as well as my home equity?

Old 02-03-2020, 10:16 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
My question is simple. If I take a 300k loan on a 400k hpuse. Assume I have paid 50k upfront and 25k in interest over few years. If the outstanding is 250k and if its foreclosed and they sell for 300k , what happens to my original 50k upfront that I paid? Do they keep the house as well as my home equity?
The homeowner is entitled to any excess after the first loan is paid off PLUS all of the fees and interest associated with the missed payments and foreclosure process, then any subservient liens. If there is anything left over, the lender is supposed to track down the owner and give them the excess proceeds.

So yes that is how it works in theory, but only a crazy person would allow it to happen that way. The fees associated with foreclosure are large so it makes no sense to not sell it, avoid the foreclosure on a credit report, and make more money from the excess.

Old 02-03-2020, 08:17 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
That depends upon the state. In Michigan, if your house is taken through foreclosure, you lose all equity that you may have had in the house.

Old 02-04-2020, 12:01 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
My question is simple. If I take a 300k loan on a 400k house. Assume I have paid 50k upfront and 25k in interest over few years. If the outstanding is 250k and if its foreclosed and they sell for 300k , what happens to my original 50k upfront that I paid? Do they keep the house as well as my home equity?
Generally, you would be entitled to the $50K, minus any court fees and other costs associated with the mortgage company foreclosing on your home. (And minus any other claims that anyone might have against the property -- second mortgage, HELOC, unpaid taxes, unpaid homeowner's association fees, any judgments that have been filed as a lien against the property, etc.)

If your house is actually worth $300K, you would be better off selling it on your own.

(I'm not clear on your figures, though. If you bought the house for $400K, and took out a $300K loan, you would have put down $100K and at that moment had $100K in equity. If the outstanding loan amount is $250K, you'd have $150K in equity. If the house decreased in value to $300K, then you only have $50K in equity.)

Old 02-04-2020, 01:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Beware: Based on what was happening in the recession, you may find that some that some "flipper" will see the pre-foreclosure posted and will come along and offer you $20k over what's owed to "give you something to help with moving costs before the banks sells it at a loss."

Old 02-04-2020, 02:18 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Generally, you would be entitled to the $50K, minus any court fees and other costs associated with the mortgage company foreclosing on your home. (And minus any other claims that anyone might have against the property -- second mortgage, HELOC, unpaid taxes, unpaid homeowner's association fees, any judgments that have been filed as a lien against the property, etc.)

If your house is actually worth $300K, you would be better off selling it on your own.
Again, that depends upon state law. Some states apparently require a return of extra equity, and some do not. Due to the fact that Michigan does not require a lender to compensate a foreclosed homeowner for recovered value in excess of the mortgage liability, we've had a problem with predatory lenders. A predatory lender purposely loans money--usually in a refinancing situation or on a house owned free-and-clear--with the hope that the homeowner actually loses the property through foreclosure, thereby recovering not just the loan amount, but any equity that the homeowner may have had.

The former Michigan Attorney General even published a booklet to warn people about predatory lending practices. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/a...E_274295_7.pdf
Below is a quote taken from that publication:

Quote:
Equity Stripping
Look out if a lender bases the decision to give you a mortgage on the equity that you have in your home instead of on your income. A predatory lender may loan more than you can pay every month and wait for you to default on your loan. The predatory lender can then foreclose on your house and strip you of your equity!

Old 02-05-2020, 05:07 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Again, that depends upon state law. Some states apparently require a return of extra equity, and some do not. Due to the fact that Michigan does not require a lender to compensate a foreclosed homeowner for recovered value in excess of the mortgage liability, we've had a problem with predatory lenders. A predatory lender purposely loans money--usually in a refinancing situation or on a house owned free-and-clear--with the hope that the homeowner actually loses the property through foreclosure, thereby recovering not just the loan amount, but any equity that the homeowner may have had.

The former Michigan Attorney General even published a booklet to warn people about predatory lending practices. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/a...E_274295_7.pdf
Below is a quote taken from that publication:
Wow....
That is pretty chilling.
I have heard of hard money lenders taking flip properties after giving impossible funding, but..... Jeeze...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs