Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 36,068 times

Advertisements

I have that exact question. I've read horror stories online of all the money being gradually taken back from the government via income taxes. My house is currently being marketed as a short-sale with my loan being direct from USDA Rural Development. I'm curious if someone has been through their "Debt Settlement" process afterwards to shed some light on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:08 PM

I have the USDA Direct Loan as well. They gave me the feedback when I talked to the regional office that I had to come with an appraisal or an offer. When I asked what the appraisal would accomplish, the person I was talking to wasn't helpful at all. It seemed to me that coming with an offer was the better way.

Old 12-10-2013, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,596 times
Default Where are you at in the process?

Have you completed a sale yet? or put your home on the market? I am at the end process of a short sale with the same kind of USDA Direct loan and they will not forgive the deficit!!! The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt releif act is to prevent being taxed on what is forgiven but it does not require that a lender forgive the loan amount due after a short sale. I have heard that it depends from state to state whether or not they will forgive the deficit on a short sale, but now we are facing bankruptcy despite keeping our loan current and going through the process of short sale.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 PM

I have sold the house on a short-sale and have filled out the requisite Debt Settlement packet. It took a little over 3 months for the sale to be credited to my account. Now we are waiting for the results from the Debt Settlement packet. I did talk to someone earlier who had gone through the process and will be making a monthly payment for the next 5 years.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:09 AM

1 posts, read 5,452 times
TUES March 4th 2014: I have a mortgage through the USDA RD DIRECT LOAN program. Is there any new information on short-selling an underwater home in this specific circumstance? The HARP refinance program is so restrictive that it is not a viable alternative for me. Any updates would be deeply appreciated.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtwilight View Post
I bought my home through the USDA Rural Development program. I am now trying to sell it, it has sat on the market for almost 6 months, I owe $160,000 and it seems every other house in my block is going for a foreclosure or short sale, driving the worth of my home down. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has ever sold their USDA financed home as a short sale and what the process was like, and was the "short" amount fully forgiven? In general on short sales is the "short" difference amount fully forgiven?
I would suggest hiring a realtor. They are trained to work with you on getting your house sold as a short sale. What state are you located?

Old 01-18-2015, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,893 times
I am in a similar situation as you guys have described. Direct USDA loan on a home that is worth 50% less than what I owe. The house is too small and my kids need an additional room. I went back to work and my house payment doubled. Now I'm trying to get out of my house. Seems there's no way out I can't even rent this house out to someone cuz it states in my contract that results in default. These loans are the worst!! Stay away from usda.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:54 PM

35 posts, read 65,855 times
Would love an update from everyone on where their short sales / foreclosures with USDA are now. We are renting a short sale home that we put an offer on. We have submitted an offer, the seller accepted and it's been sent to Chase bank for approval. That was in early Nov 2014. It's now March 1 2015 and we JUST found out that this is a USDA Rural Development loan home. We didn't know that. I guess it's just been submitted to USDA for approval.

Does anyone know how long the USDA short sale approval takes and what their criteria for approving a short sale are?

Thank you!

Old 04-30-2015, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,915 times
I am in the debt settlement process.
i short saled my home....u will owe the usda....the deficit PLUS realtor commission PLUS attorney fees And they make You pay all closing costs..
my $21,000 deficit turned into $44,000

Old 04-30-2015, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 8,915 times
I am in USDA hell.

I bought my home for $175,000....right before the market crashed
5 years later, Its worth $139,000

Everyone told me to short sale it because you will owe NOTHING because the banks dont make you pay it back.

Well guess what happens when you short sale? Sure you get the full amount you ask for, what its appraised for ($139,000). But then your realtor fees (because realtors KNOW your mortgage company HAS to pay their fees because the seller doesnt have it)...you end up paying all closing costs, the attorney fees. YOu are assigned EVERYTHING.

so my $22,000 deficit became $44,000.
Not only that...they dont contact you...so they just ASSIGNED me a $1,200 payment and I only found this out because I ran my credit.
Now I applied for debt settlement and I am SO MAD because this is so unfair. I paid my payments ON TIME for 5 years and the only reason I sold Short sale was because EVERYONE said you will owe ZERO...lies!

And by the way, if anyone has settled a debt with the USDA, let me know what percentage they settled for.
I feel I should pay ZERO dollars for NO years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Foreclosures, Short Sales, and REOs