Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 02:47 PM

4,332 posts, read 6,306,176 times

Advertisements

I agree that Japanese A5 Wagyu is way overpriced in the US. When I was in Japan, I was able to get A5 Wagyu in Okinawa and Kobe Beef in Kyoto for about $30 for a filling dinner. Incredible meat and well worth that price (probably not worth the cost at a fancy US steakhouse).

I lived in Korea for a while and tried Hanwoo Beef, which is like Korean Wagyu. This is also incredible and not well known, given it is not exported to the US. I'd put that right up there with Japanese Wagyu, in some cases even better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 03:27 AM

61,924 posts, read 87,533,958 times
It's fatty, therefore more tasty and tender. It's considered healthier too, Wagyu beef can be a healthier because it has a higher concentration of healthy fats.
However, true wagyu from Japan is rare thanks to strict regulations and both global and domestic demand.

Some Wagyu meat sold in the US may be fake or have misleading labeling. Most is not a pure breed. This creates a different breed of cow with a different taste, texture, and price. Being mixed with non-Wagyu cattle breeds makes the US meat cheaper.

https://youtu.be/0UDqfRn_ECk?si=5GF_UtHA_mYb75vY

Old 05-08-2024, 09:17 AM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I have never had it, but I do not like steaks that fatty. That's a big reason that I'm not a huge fan of ribeye. I'll take a fairly lean, tender filet over a ribeye anytime.
Same. My BF loves ribeyes - he loves the fatty edges and all. I trim all that crap off - hate it.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:32 AM

859 posts, read 785,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
American wagyu means that they are cross bred between the American angus and the Japanese wagyu ox to create a hybrid. But it is not the same because Wagyu is raised eating Japanese diet not American cattle diet so the texture of the meat is gonna differ.
DEFINITELY not the same, and the American version really does the real thing an injustice. I don’t eat steak much in restaurants, most have no idea what they are doing so understand why there would be complaints about the value.

The real thing, prepared well, is the best steak ever….

Old 05-08-2024, 10:25 AM

6,717 posts, read 5,965,558 times
It's definitely on my bucket list to visit Japan and try wagyu beef the way they eat it –*rare and fresh off the grill inches away.

Old 05-08-2024, 11:18 AM

2,265 posts, read 1,362,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We buy the $5.99/lb ground American Wagyu from Costco and it makes fantastic burgers at a reasonable price. We'll buy steaks only when on sale at our local upscale market. No steak is worth $100 to me, Wagyu or otherwise, $50-60 is about my limit for a restaurant steak.
American wagyu tasted much better than Australian wagyu, both I bought from Costco.
The more expensive Japanese wagyu also comes in thin slices, so one tends to eat less meat but more of the accompanying vegetables, mushrooms and rice.

Old 05-08-2024, 12:22 PM

1,160 posts, read 637,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
American wagyu tasted much better than Australian wagyu, both I bought from Costco.
The more expensive Japanese wagyu also comes in thin slices, so one tends to eat less meat but more of the accompanying vegetables, mushrooms and rice.
Real Japanese Wagyu is so highly marbled, that it seems to be mostly fat - therefore it is sliced thinly, just seared (otherwise all the fat would just render and disappear) and eaten in small amounts.

I forgot how much it costs here - I believe only one or two retailers here can import it from Japan. But it was ridiculously priced so my buddy would serve each person a few slices.

I'm betting that it would be super rich because of the amount of fat, and of course so tender that it's like melting butter.

I want to try it, but also suspect I would prefer the more beefy taste of a top grade ribeye or porterhouse.

Old 05-08-2024, 01:05 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,702,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We buy the $5.99/lb ground American Wagyu from Costco and it makes fantastic burgers at a reasonable price. We'll buy steaks only when on sale at our local upscale market. No steak is worth $100 to me, Wagyu or otherwise, $50-60 is about my limit for a restaurant steak.

Help me understand this. Wagyu is good as a steak because it is exceptionally well marbled. The fat is in the steak not just at the edges making it tender and tasty. Grinding beef is a way to take tough cuts and scraps (that aren't big enough to make a steak or roast out of) and making it into something you can cook and eat. I don't understand why you would grind up wagyu.

Also, $5.99/lb is what we pay for run of the mill 80-20 beef up here. I suppose I might try ground wagyu if I could get it for that price.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:52 PM

2,265 posts, read 1,362,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Real Japanese Wagyu is so highly marbled, that it seems to be mostly fat - therefore it is sliced thinly, just seared (otherwise all the fat would just render and disappear) and eaten in small amounts.

I forgot how much it costs here - I believe only one or two retailers here can import it from Japan. But it was ridiculously priced so my buddy would serve each person a few slices.

I'm betting that it would be super rich because of the amount of fat, and of course so tender that it's like melting butter.

I want to try it, but also suspect I would prefer the more beefy taste of a top grade ribeye or porterhouse.
Costco occasionally have special discount, say at $66 per pound.
https://www.costco.com/authentic-wag...100665739.html

You're right that a top grade ribeye is a winner too.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:45 AM

30,699 posts, read 18,343,305 times
I've primarily eaten wagyu in Japan, and we've loved every bite And you can get it at very reasonable prices in Japan, too, and that's even without the favorable exchange rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink