Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 07:15 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,046,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Was thinking about buying a new car. Got quotes from all the major carriers (8) and none was under $6000 a year. I have no claims, no accidents, no tickets, great credit. Guess it was about time the auto insurance situation matched the homeowners situation in Florida. Out of control increases. The reps I spoke to blamed "cost of doing business in Florida".

I find it morally reprehensible to pay $6,000 a year to insure a $27,000 car. But I guess everyone in Florida is perfectly OK with this. I don't see anyone protesting.

I'll just keep my 2018 Accord. Until it gets stolen or flooded out by a hurricane I guess.
Sorry, but you must be lying or have a ton of accident/ticket claims you are not aware of... my 2023 Tesla is about $2k for the year with excellent coverage via Geico, which is the number one insurance company in Florida. I'm in Orlando though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2024, 04:45 AM

30,497 posts, read 21,381,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
same here.....

the OP seems to have a "kick me" sign on his back.....for everything
If it ever gets to 6k a year i am done driving.

Old 05-08-2024, 04:46 AM

30,497 posts, read 21,381,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
Not sure what a 10/20 is but I pay $2200 a year for a 2014.
The min amount by law.

Old 05-08-2024, 06:27 AM

9,555 posts, read 9,871,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Best decision I made was to give up my car 1.5 years ago (can only imagine what it would cost now to insure a Maserati).

I figure I'm saving about $1800/month, cash, by using Uber instead. Of course I have the benefit of being retired and not needing a car for work and living in a highly walkable area of Miami. I still have a non-operating auto policy with GEICO that runs me about $550/year--an auto policy is required in order to have an Umbrella policy (and it gets me coverage for a very small fee the few times a year I rent a car).
This is why Elon Musk and Tesla will dominate soon when their autonomous vehicles will be the new Uber. More people will move away from personal vehicles due to the cost.

Of course this is basically the plan but the current government. Get people out of owning and driving their own cars. Elon was smart enough to see that and plan for it.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:06 AM

15,004 posts, read 12,208,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'd love to see your evidence of this. In reality, Florida has a no-fault insurance law that prevents many lawsuits. Its more likely that the high cost of premiums is due to vehicle repair costs, increased numbers of accidents, and medical bills.
It's true that lawsuits are generally settled out of court, with the insurance companies preferring to pay a set amount to the plaintiff rather than having to go through the much more expensive process of a court trial. This is the case regardless of their insured person's innocence or guilt in causing the damages, and sometimes whether or not the event actually occurred.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:14 AM

15,004 posts, read 12,208,115 times
Just adding the amounts up in my head we're paying approximately $3400 annually for 3 vehicles, only one of those gets high mileage put on it. We're retired, and the other two cars are driven only locally for the most part. We do not carry uninsured motorist coverage.

Our rates, like everyone else's have gone up significantly in the last few years.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:23 AM

78,644 posts, read 60,823,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Every rep I got quotes from basically said "its not you, it's florida"

I am being told to lower coverages to the bare minimum to reduce the rate. But if I do that what's the point?

Also, at these prices, the number of uninsured motorists in Fla must be absolutely skyrocketing.

It should never cost $6000 to insure a $27000 vehicle. That is reprehensible and another nail in the coffin for the American dream.
1. Yeah, you have assets you definitely don't want to put those at risk by skimping on coverage.

2. Most of the cost of that $6,000 isn't going towards insuring the vehicle. It's going towards the $500,000 in medical bills, legal fees and pain and suffering after an accident.

P.S. Also you make a good point about uninsured motorists. Higher premiums go, more uninsured motorists. NJ had problems like this until reforms which helped them a lot.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:24 AM

988 posts, read 613,483 times
We have a 2014 Honda Civic and pay 960 for 6 months of coverage here in FL.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I'd love to see your evidence of this. In reality, Florida has a no-fault insurance law that prevents many lawsuits. Its more likely that the high cost of premiums is due to vehicle repair costs, increased numbers of accidents, and medical bills.
Valid points about factors driving higher premiums. But FL already had some of the highest premiums in the country so what is different?

You have modified no-fault it pretty much works the opposite of intended.

In Florida you have to meet the serious injury threshold. The easiest to meet would be the significant loss of an important bodily function. (like now it hurts to walk, I need to use a cane, I can't fully use my arm or lift much etc. etc. etc.) If you meet that *wink wink wink* and we have a doctor and chiropractor we can recommend then you can sue. It's like a cottage industry.

https://www.lwmpersonalinjurylawyers...nt-in-florida/

Quote:
What is the ‘Serious Injury’ Threshold?
Florida law specifies that to sue for damages such as pain and suffering, the injuries sustained in the accident must be considered “serious.” But what constitutes a serious injury? According to Florida statutes, serious injuries include those that result in:

Significant and permanent loss of an important bodily function.
Permanent injury within a reasonable degree of medical probability, other than scarring or disfigurement.
Significant and permanent scarring or disfigurement.
Death.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Making a second post to show you what you asked for above.

https://www.ryanhugheslaw.com/articl...cticut%2090%25.

Quote:
Which States Have the Highest Percentage of Court Cases?
The following states have the highest percentage of car accident lawsuits going to court: California 96%, Florida 96%, New York 94%, Texas 94%, New Jersey 91%, Arizona 90%, and Connecticut 90%.
The lowest are down around 30%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida