Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times

Advertisements

Side note here:

I am a Wash DC native, born and raised 1957-78

Calif from 1978-89

Arizona ever since..........and have made more $$$ that either of two previous areas.

And I doubt I will ever leave Az although the 'Hi Desert' area of SoCal (Yucca Valley/Joshua Tree area) would be high on my radar........it still seems to that 1960's/early 1970's vibe (inexpensive housing and friendly people).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 195,331 times
Default Are you still here?

I have just logged back into this site and got your message. Do you still live in Spokane? If so, how do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sky View Post
Hey, I can relate. I lived there from 97' to 2004. The cost of housing versus wages is a huge issue there as you know. I move on to Spokane, WA. Same climate, however, houses are about $200,000 cheaper.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 PM

91 posts, read 323,349 times
If you don't need a job and you are a student at NAU then Flagstaff might be a great place to live while you concentrate on your studies. People are friendly. It is low key. There is lots to do. It has a nice small town feel.

If you want a professional level job or if money is an issue for you don't come here. There are few professional level jobs and the cost of living is expensive giving the wage potential.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:16 PM

106 posts, read 433,490 times
Blue Sky - Selling ugly Spokane. Drove through there in '08 - yikes! Blue Sky what is the deal are you a real estate agent or something? Better off moving to Kalispell MT than Spoke.

Peace.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 PM

I lived in AZ for 14 years (Phoenix metro and Bullhead). Flagstaff is great to visit, always expensive, and felt limited. In other words, it is an oasis, a mountain surrounded by high desert. Live in Prescott and visit on the weekends. Prescott gives you a chance to go South or North for weekend trips.

Also, as a side note, I was in Moab UT this year for a week - hung out with some locals for another week. That town seems to be booming since my previous trip in '04.

While in Flag I mountain biked Shultz Pass - check these photos if you are curious:
flagstaff schultz creek mtb trail 7/13/08

Also, I am actually thinking Santa Fe has more topographical variety going for it than Flag.

Not a big fan of Boulder, went there, small yuppie hippy college feel. Have always heard bad things about the people not being friendly.

Peace On You.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:50 PM

857 posts, read 1,732,388 times
Default Friendliness Of People In Mountain Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
I lived in AZ for 14 years (Phoenix metro and Bullhead).

Not a big fan of Boulder, went there, small yuppie hippy college feel. Have always heard bad things about the people not being friendly.

Peace On You.
I'm looking for a mountain college town with friendly, outgoing people. Unfortunately, people in Flagstaff, Santa Fe, and Albuquerque are too introverted, and people on the Boulder forum (along with your post above) are indicating that Boulder isn't very friendly.

Coming from Seattle, one of the friendliest cities in the US, it is disappointing to find that people are unfriendly and taciturn in Flagstaff, Albuquerque, and Santa Fe. And, these towns shut down at 9pm, unlike Seattle. I like 24/7 friendly cities w/ talkative extroverts.

Do you know of any small mountain towns in the S.W. that are friendly? Maybe it's just part of the territory. Are we outdoors-type people not friendly? While I'm very, very shy, I am also very extroverted and interested in getting to know other people, and coming from Seattle, I prefer others to be extroverted.

How about Austin, TX? It's not a mountain town, but it's a college town with lots of young people. Are people more extroverted there?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:52 PM

The United States is diverse, and each region is different. I guess we all need to all find our niche. Open to Experience personality types clash with the Consciencious personality types in AZ and NM. We don't belong here. I have yet to meet anyone from the Coasts who has moved to AZ or NM and stayed longer than a year or two. In New Mexico, I conducted a Craigs List poll, and got emails back of people from California saying they hated Albuquerque and wanted to go back. Boulder/Denver, Colorado? Probably the answer for all of us! It's the USA and I guess we need to put stereotypes aside, drop our resentment, and find the best place! Thanks to City-Data for providing these forums where real people can post their own opinions! I'm in the communcations/media field and appreciate this form of discourse.
[/quote]
Hey Tom - it looks like you are about a year ahead of me in understanding the Northern AZ, NM, CO socio-economic communities. I sent you a note offline/befriend...I have some Seattle/CO questions for you. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2008, 07:55 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami_Dan View Post
The United States is diverse, and each region is different. I guess we all need to all find our niche. Open to Experience personality types clash with the Consciencious personality types in AZ and NM. We don't belong here. I have yet to meet anyone from the Coasts who has moved to AZ or NM and stayed longer than a year or two. In New Mexico, I conducted a Craigs List poll, and got emails back of people from California saying they hated Albuquerque and wanted to go back. Boulder/Denver, Colorado? Probably the answer for all of us! It's the USA and I guess we need to put stereotypes aside, drop our resentment, and find the best place! Thanks to City-Data for providing these forums where real people can post their own opinions! I'm in the communcations/media field and appreciate this form of discourse.

Hey Tom - it looks like you are about a year ahead of me in understanding the Northern AZ, NM, CO socio-economic communities. I sent you a note offline/befriend...I have some Seattle/CO questions for you. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 AM

329 posts, read 1,275,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowannamove View Post
If you don't need a job and you are a student at NAU then Flagstaff might be a great place to live while you concentrate on your studies. People are friendly. It is low key. There is lots to do. It has a nice small town feel.

If you want a professional level job or if money is an issue for you don't come here. There are few professional level jobs and the cost of living is expensive giving the wage potential.
Hi Nowanna, did you finaly make the move to Flagstaff? How is it going?

Old 11-29-2008, 08:56 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
I've lived both on the east and west coasts for half my life. Been in AZ for two years now, and no plans to leave any time soon. Half of Kingman is from SoCal, and I don't hear any of them pining for the coast either.

It really depends on what you like. Personally, I like to explore, and one can explore the southwest forever. The mountains and deserts are beautiful and endless. When you get to a coast, you stop. There's nowhere else to go, nothing else to do, but stop and look at the water. I find it boring and vastly overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona