Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2022, 05:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times

Advertisements

some morning I found tiny white mouse with its head bitten off,so there must be plenty of action at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2022, 03:49 AM

yesterday,I was watering my lawn,there is a one inch gap between the lawn edge and foundation,so I pumped water into the gap,and what do you know,a small green frog jumped out!

Old 07-24-2022, 05:06 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
I am in TX,once when I was shopping at an Asian supermarket in Chinatown,they have farm raised live frogs for sale,so I bought one and released it in my backyard.
Those frogs are meant to be food,not pets.
Pretty big size.
They also have live turtles.tilapia,dungenese crab,cat fish,carps,lobsters,blue shell crabs.
Was the frog a species native to TX?

Old 07-24-2022, 05:04 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
yesterday,I was watering my lawn,there is a one inch gap between the lawn edge and foundation,so I pumped water into the gap,and what do you know,a small green frog jumped out!
It's that time of year. Spring's tadpoles are morphing into froglets. Could have also been a tree frog. Several green species are possible in Texas. Without a pic, who could guess?

Old 07-24-2022, 05:21 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Probably not. This is how we got pythons and boas in Florida. Flying carp. People think they are doing a good deed and then ruin the local ecosystem.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 07-24-2022 at 05:30 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I dont know,it is meant for eating,and it said farm raised,pretty big size,you can see it yourself at Welcome Supermarket on BEllaire BLVD ,Houston TX .
tHEY ALSo have farm raised turtles,so they could all come from the same farm.
It seems to be a lot of work to skin these frogs and braised them ,there is not much meat on frogs

Old 07-25-2022, 05:18 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
I dont know,it is meant for eating,and it said farm raised,pretty big size,you can see it yourself at Welcome Supermarket on BEllaire BLVD ,Houston TX .
tHEY ALSo have farm raised turtles,so they could all come from the same farm.
It seems to be a lot of work to skin these frogs and braised them ,there is not much meat on frogs
They're probably bullfrogs (Lithobates catesbeianus). Pretty much the only species large and prolific enough to warrant commercial production. I'll bet those frogs and turtles are teeming with parasites, bacterial and fungal diseases...that end up spreading to native amphibians via discarded pondwater. Not to mention ignorant customers flushing dead ones down toilets or releasing live ones to the wild! That sort of thoughtlessness has spread chytridiomycosis (with greater than 90% fatality) and other diseases that have decimated thousands of amphibian species across the globe. Asian commercial frog production is a notorious source of disease. Bullfrogs are also extremely aggressive, and they'll prey on many smaller animals: native frogs, toads, reptiles, small mammals, even birds. A pair of dumped bullfrogs can wipe out or displace beneficial native species fairly quickly. NEVER EVER RELEASE store bought or unwanted animals!

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-25-2022 at 06:21 PM..

Old 07-25-2022, 07:15 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,921,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Probably not. This is how we got pythons and boas in Florida. Flying carp. People think they are doing a good deed and then ruin the local ecosystem.
In the case of the pythons and boas, they usually released these poor snakes when they got too big... not doing a "good deed," just too lazy to bother with properly rehoming them! And now the rest of us responsible snake owners get to be vilified (even more than usual) over these idiots.

Old 08-11-2022, 10:57 AM

821 posts, read 464,660 times
mojo101, we live about 30 miles South of you and we were stampeded with green tree frogs this year. First time in 30 yrs. we've been here. If it's croak is kinda high-pitched and fairly long it probably is one of these. I think your rain may have made the males optimistic again. Ours gave up down here about a month ago. My wife and I love em'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish