Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 PM

1 posts, read 668 times

Advertisements

Hemlock140, same. Ive bought fish from walmart and the people there try to act like they know what they are doing. They dont. Never buy fish from walmart, EVER. Onetime i bought a small baby koi their and it brought a disease with it that killed 4 fish, and 2 snails. They dont care for their fish at all. They literally just use tap water and there is a hot temp and a cold temp sink and thats it. And They dont even pump oxygen into the bag. This just makes me hate walmart so much. Stop selling fish and torturing them. My mom litertally stood there while he was getting them and whispered to me "does he know hes not supposed to use tap water." And i think in my mind "of course not" they just sit there and act all friendly and nice and act like they know what they are doing. But really walmart just dosnt care about fish, there is only 1 thing they care about. Money. If they cared they would actually care for the fish. Ive literraly seen a fish that was dead there that had been dead for probably months and it was literally turning into a dust/mold. All the fish were eating it and going crazy because they never take care of them. Some stores actually care about the fish. I buy fish at petco and they will actually give you a REFUND if your fish dies within a month. They are healthy, and usually only die because of low water quality for a long period of time. Please, dont buy fish from walmart, they are a waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2019, 09:52 AM

239 posts, read 155,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I have heard a couple horror stories about buying fish at walmart. What are your experiences? Are they sick? Do they die right away? Would you recommend buying them there? I avoid it because Taking care of fish at walmart is the emplyees job, where as at the pet shop I go to it's their career. However, today I saw that walmart had sm beautiful fish and at a low price. Looked heakthy as well.

What do you think?
I have only one fish, and she's from Walmart. She seems happy, does her fishy dance, and occasionally does a high five wave after gulping down her food. I thought about adding some cherry shrimp. If you are concerned about introducing sick fish into your tank, I'd buy a fish bowl and keep the new fish in isolation for a while. When you see they are not sick or have parasites, then introduce them into your tank.

Old 05-06-2019, 11:23 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,766,301 times
Generally speaking, fish from Walmart are low quality to begin with. Then they're poorly cared for and poorly handled. And as with any fish from a pet store with obviously bad water quality, you run the risk of introducing diseases and/or parasites along with fish from such places. Particularly ich.

That said, If I happened to be at a walmart and they were selling a fish I wanted, I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. But certain precautions are in order.

Now, everybody's going to disagree with me here because this contradicts standard advice... but here goes: don't acclimate your fish, particularly if they're from a place with iffy water quality! Don't do it. You don't want yo slowly mix the water in the bag... because you don't want that water in your tank. Here's what I do:

I take some water from my aquarium and put it in a container. Then dump *all* the petstore water out of the bag, and put just the fish into that container. And I leave them in there for 20 min or so. Then dump all that water and put the fish only into my tank. This minimizes any germs/parasites/protozoa that you're introducing from the pet store. I've kept fish for many years and this has never been a problem.

This is particularly important if your tank hasn't been set up very long. An relatively new tank is far more susceptible to nasties from the pet store. Older tanks have enough microbe diversity built up that that ich, fungus, and such are rarely a problem.

Also helps to keep the water warm. Don't overfeed. Change the water, but not too often. Also you can change the water or you can clean/replace the filter... but only do one or the other. Never do both at the same time.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
This is what I do with plants from Walmart: I will buy when the shipment first comes in, before the minimum wage clerks have cared for the plants for too many hours. Freshly arrived fish aren't going to be any different from freshly arrived fish at a pet store. get them before people who don't know what they are doing have cared for them for too long.

All I've ever seen at a Walmart are low cost common varieties of fish. They don't sell fancy fish. So far, any time I've looked, the tanks are clean. I've kept fancy goldfish and couldn't have bought them at Walmart because Walmart doesn't sell them.

I suggest a small quarantine tank for newly arrived fish, no matter where you get them from. Get them acclimated, make sure they aren't ill, before you put them into the main tank.

I've seen Ick at a pet store, so that is not necessarily going to guarantee healthy fish. Pet store employees aren't all going to be experts.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 AM

16 posts, read 35,218 times
There was once a petition about the cruelty to fishes at walmart. I dont anything conclusive came out of that thing. The decision is upto you..

Old 07-25-2019, 12:52 AM

16 posts, read 35,218 times
Though the coldwater fishes available at my closest walmart, but I was surprised too on seeing the carelessness walmart staff showed in taking care of these pets.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:10 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,760 times
Nope.

Get them from a specialty shop or one of the big box pets stores.

Walmart’s fish department may be suited for trailer trash types

Old 07-28-2019, 04:56 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,367,619 times
Walmart has done away with live fish at all of their stores, I can personally vouch for this. Most tanks will be removed this or next month and will be replaced with additional pet/animal foods.

Old 08-04-2019, 04:07 PM

1,599 posts, read 1,429,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The716 View Post
Walmart has done away with live fish at all of their stores, I can personally vouch for this. Most tanks will be removed this or next month and will be replaced with additional pet/animal foods.
Not yet. Just saw one still going today

Old 08-06-2019, 03:03 PM

3,605 posts, read 1,655,633 times
Depends which Wal-Mart...some are in terrible shape...others not so bad. Just check out the fish before buying and pick out the healthiest ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish