Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:21 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, in nearly 30 years here, I've never even seen a heron. Something tells me that if anything got my fish, it wasn't a heron. I'd have to be seeing something suspicious occasionally. I'm still holding out hope that they're just hiding/hibernating because it's been so cold here. It's not even 50 degrees today.
the colder it gets the less fish eat. mine would not eat at all sometimes during winter.

but I don't know if 50 is cold enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:17 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
koi prefer right around 62-64 degrees so they may still be in "hibernation" mode, which means theyll find crevices and hidng spots as deep in the pond as possible and pretyt much wait it out.
they can happily survive in 50 degrees (heck even neer freezing) but theyll be alot less active untill the water edges up into the low-mid 60's

Old 06-06-2011, 12:09 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
Default my money is on the Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Raccoons are not as good fishers as Herons. Those stand in or near ponds and can wipe out a stocked small pond on an hour. They are plentiful in my area so if I build a pond it will have to be at least 3 feet deep. Too much work
Heron and related birds can down literally dozens of fish; and they're "fisherman", cautious and patient and very wary of people..........and they do a migration run right through Utah, so while you may not have seen them, it doesn't mean they don't blow through town.

For birds like these, and racoons, the pond is much too small and much too shallow.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:45 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
My fish are all alive and well! I guess I just don't know that much about fish, but they have apparently been more or less hiding out under the rock we strategically placed for that very purpose. Now that the weather here has finally warmed up, they're all out and swimming around for at least part of every day. I had pretty much given up hope that they were alive after not seeing a single one of them for over a month, but it turns out I was wrong.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,854,114 times
thats excelent news

Old 06-12-2011, 05:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
That is great news, thanks for the update!

Old 08-07-2011, 11:43 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,685 times
for racoons, you want a steep drop-off so they don't have a shallow they can wade into the pond from; for Herons, at least four feet deep in one place in the pond, AND your fish acclimated to shadows and movement.

I'm in bird and racoon country, and the two ponds I have are doing fine this season. (fingers crossed)

Old 10-20-2015, 12:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,180 times
Believe in heron's. They took 6 of my largest koi this summer. We ended up getting a gadget that sprays water when motion is detected by the pond to scare preditor. Hope to think this helped but this was before we got the UV light and pond was green. (which by the way works great to clear pond water). Now I am looking for ideas to protect fish. Which I did get from this forum.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:31 AM

859 posts, read 705,126 times
Interesting thread!

Maybe not hid of you but they hid from coldness.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:14 AM

13 posts, read 4,771 times
We had big problems with raccoons eating our fish. We installed a large preformed pond and luckily got a bunch of very large and gorgeous butterfly koi from my wife's friend who also had a pond but was moving and wanted to give them away. Everything was perfect for about a week until we started seeing dead fish on the lawn and were also missing fish. The raccoons were not only eating our fish but literally just pulling them out and leaving them on the grass. We got a pond net but they ripped right through it and went in again.

I came to the conclusion tha they were going into the pond and standing on the shelves to catch the fish because they also knocked all of the submerged pots on the shelves to the bottom of the pond. What ended up working for us was a fake floating alligator head that moves around with the motion of the water from the pump and fountain. This has also kept waterfowl and herons away. We do have the pond lit up at night so the gator can be seen and like someone mentioned above have given the fish a pvc pipe to hide in if they need to. Hope this helps someone else to not lose fish like we did and here's a good a guide to the fake gators: The Complete Alligator Decoy Guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish