Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 10:25 PM

290 posts, read 151,290 times

Advertisements

I was just reading this thread from last year regarding the argument over water for the new city building:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/fayet...lla-vista.html

One article linked there refers to a lawsuit filed against the POA for the unfairness of increasing fees by over 50% for improved lots but with no increase for empty lots, just as we've been talking about here. The original full article is behind a pay-wall, but it is archived here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20210302...ista-poa-sued/

Does anyone know what happened with this lawsuit? Was it withdrawn, thrown out, or is it still awaiting a verdict?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2022, 07:59 PM

1,601 posts, read 865,016 times
I don't live in Bella Vista, but the annual POA fee in my Bentonville neighborhood is $425. For this, they maintain a tiny clubhouse and pool and put on a couple of cookouts each summer. They maintain one small section of road that's not maintained by the city, mow and landscape the front entrance and also mow along the frontage of lots that are platted for drainage and are per the City, un-buildable. I don't use the pool and don't attend the cookouts most of the time, so really it's like lighting money on fire for me.

Sounds like you at least get something for your money.

Old 08-16-2022, 09:55 PM

I did a little searching and found that the case was dismissed:

https://caseinfo.arcourts.gov/cconne...id=04CV-21-459

I haven't read every word of every document, but from selecting the summaries and abstracts it appears that the judge dismissed the claim on the basis that there was nothing inherently wrong with the POA wanting to charge owners of improved lots more than owners of empty lots. Which - once again - rather misses the point, that it's not this basic principle which is annoying many people, but that the POA wants to increase fees for the former but not for the latter, even though all are entitled to vote.

So for around 19 years it was a $16/$24 structure, unimproved lots being charged two-thirds of the cost for improved lots. With the increase from $24 to $37, that changed to empty lots being charged less than 44% of the improved-lot cost, and if this latest proposal is approved, that will reduce to 40%. What if in another 3 years the POA asks for another $3/mo. increase while leaving empty lots at $16? I don't see how they would ask for anything less if this current increase is approved. That would end up with empty lots at only just over 37% of the full rate. Then another $3 increase after another 3 years, it would be getting close to empty lots paying only one-third of the full rate.

Is this what the POA has in mind? Do they think that once they've effectively "bought" all the empty-lot owners this way that they'll be able to force through even higher increases for home owners? Keep that up, and Bella Vista will become a place where only the wealthy can afford to live.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:32 PM

425 posts, read 505,663 times
I have 4 properties in Bella Vista. I’m voting NO. The POA is out of control on spending. I suspect some of the $3 increase will go to wage increases for POA employees. The POA needs to run like any other business.. make tough decisions and cut back on wages and other needless spending. If we continue to allow an increase every 3 years, the POA continues to grow and expand. By voting yes we are subsidizing the (unchecked) expansion.

For the folks who compare BV POA to other HOAs.. It’s not the same. BV POA is a multi million dollar enterprise with a leader who is paid almost 300k per year.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:30 PM

As it turned out, I wasn't able to be at the Lakepoint meeting at which the result was supposed to be announced. Did anyone on here attend?

As we'd been receiving POA emails urging us to "Vote yes" all this time, I was expecting at least to receive an email with the result, but nothing has been forthcoming. Checking every possible page on the POA website still doesn't show anything either; logging in to the electronic voting site this evening provides the statistic that a quorum was reached (just) with a 50.5% turnout, but doesn't show the result. Somebody I spoke to yesterday said she thought that the result was "yes," but it was only a quick call to the POA this morning which confirmed this officially. Does anyone know the actual yes/no percentage of votes? That part we've yet to discover at the PBC homestead.

Old 10-09-2022, 05:52 PM

108 posts, read 94,402 times
they're still padding the numbers...

Old 10-09-2022, 06:07 PM

And still no email, no update on the website or anything to tell us the result or provide the yes/no voting percentages. It's as if having succeeded in getting a "yes' result with the very one-sided "3 for 3" campaign the POA is now trying to keep as quiet as possible about it. You'd think that members who have been bombarded with "Vote yes" emails and flyers could at least expect something on the website or an email, wouldn't you?

At least our "Vote No" signs we had in the front yard prompted a couple of our newer neighbors further down to the lane to stop and talk about it when we were working outside.

Old 08-06-2023, 08:19 AM

18 posts, read 19,597 times
Default Bv

Coming up to NWA to look for a retirement place and you guys got me thinking twice about moving in the BV area.

Old 08-08-2023, 05:43 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,208,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
Coming up to NWA to look for a retirement place and you guys got me thinking twice about moving in the BV area.
It all depends on what you like to do. I moved here over two years ago and the dues now are $47 a month. If you like hiking, biking, walking, golfing (not free), exercising at free facilities, free gun range, pickleball, etc. then it is worth it. I live less than a mile from an facility that has a swimming pool, pickleball courts and machines for a full workout available. There are also exercise classes for a small fee. My wife and I walk the trails three to four times a week. Our Yorkie loves walking their paved trail.

If you just sit at home doing nothing then it may not be for you.

Old 08-11-2023, 05:44 AM

18 posts, read 19,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
It all depends on what you like to do. I moved here over two years ago and the dues now are $47 a month. If you like hiking, biking, walking, golfing (not free), exercising at free facilities, free gun range, pickleball, etc. then it is worth it. I live less than a mile from an facility that has a swimming pool, pickleball courts and machines for a full workout available. There are also exercise classes for a small fee. My wife and I walk the trails three to four times a week. Our Yorkie loves walking their paved trail.

If you just sit at home doing nothing then it may not be for you.
We golf and would like the gun range and walking and fish but I'm not sure I'm up for all the fees and drama if there is any. Will be up in a few weeks to check it out, going to golf 9 holes at Berksdale hopefully talk to some locals like yourself and get a better feel of the area. Thanks for the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers