Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2024, 06:45 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Sorry, but I would have to disagree here.
You disagreeing doesn't alter what actually happens to lot excesses.
You are going on and on about an entirely different process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2024, 06:59 PM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You disagreeing doesn't alter what actually happens to lot excesses.
You are going on and on about an entirely different process.
From what I heard, most of the unsold merchandise gets returned to the manufacturer to be donated or disposed.

Old 04-07-2024, 07:09 PM

22,559 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
From what I heard,
Personal conversation with a corporate executive?

I'm out... you simply want to argue when you know nothing plus-size clothing and lot excesses.

Old 04-07-2024, 08:00 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
I agree that big and tall clothing for men has not received the attention that those sizes have for ladies. I think a lot of manufacturers probably think men are much more likely to "settle" for the lackluster options that are presented, since there is a stereotype that men hate to shop and will just grab anything that fits.

Online options might be more plentiful, but one has to keep in mind that "hard to fit" makes online clothing shopping into a guessing game. I know from personal experience that I cannot count on products always fitting properly even from the same manufacturer. I have to try it on and examine the way it looks/fits, and I don't feel like spending time at the UPS Store returning five things for every one that fits. JC Penney has a pretty good B/T section which leans toward casual but also includes dress shirts and the like. I end up buying more from Dillard's, though, because many of their items have better quality fabrics. TJ Maxx, Marshalls and the like are hit and miss due to their business model, and I'm not a fan of the clothing from Kohl's because their "XXL" shirts tend to become "medium" after a few washings.

I don't think any of the fashion mavens will be in any hurry to solve our problems, though, because men's clothing just doesn't seem to excite them. It's the same issue in shoe stores, where you have 19 aisles of women's shoes and one aisle of men's and kids shoes.

Old 04-08-2024, 09:00 AM

24,474 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I wear 3XL and those options are online only and usually sold out.

Women have more in-store options and I don't buy online because 8 out of 10 times it doesn't fit properly or doesn't fulfill the online description or photo. There aren't Mens version for Womens plus sizes in brick and mortar stores like Lane Bryant, JCrew, Madewell, Charlotte Russe, Chico's, Charming Charlie or Ashley Stewart as just a few examples.
Without sounding harsh - can you drop a few pounds?
There are plenty of options for XXXL. It just takes a bit of effort and trial and error. Wrangler, Lewis, Cinch are just a few brands with not only a large store presence but good web sites and steady sizing.

Old 04-08-2024, 10:14 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Duluth Trading has a lot of stuff up to 4XL and I like their quality and selection a lot. I'm "just" a Large, but I doubt the quality of their XXL and up is any lesser.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:53 AM

19,696 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:

I wear 3XL and those options are online only and usually sold out.

Women have more in-store options and I don't buy online because 8 out of 10 times it doesn't fit properly or doesn't fulfill the online description or photo. There aren't Mens version for Womens plus sizes in brick and mortar stores like Lane Bryant, JCrew, Madewell, Charlotte Russe, Chico's, Charming Charlie or Ashley Stewart as just a few examples.
My man wears the same. He's tall and needs the length, but lean/fit so then there's all this extra fabric..

You're so right though, I'm always looking for stuff for him online and it's difficult! I got him these work shirts online in 4XL and they came from freakin China, looking like they would fit a 10-year-old child!

Old 04-08-2024, 03:07 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Thats what I did for my son's wedding. I'm around six foot five with a thirty-six inch waist, fifty inch chest. Same as when I was I high school. (How many here can honestly say that?) I went to a "King Size" store locally and didn't get three steps in before one of the oversized salesmen waved me off saying; "We don't have anything that'll fit you!" Nothing off the rack fits. So, I went and bought a hand-made suit. I looked like a million bucks. I impressed the heck out of my Mrs. cost? Upwards of $1,000 bucks and well worth it. Shot a game of pool and drank some McAllen scotch while I was there too. I'm going back for a couple of shirts!
My brother, when he was a c-suite executive, used to get bespoke dress shirts due to his longer than usual arms. Don't know how he handled the business suits, though.

A co-worker, due to his shorter, stockier build, was on very good terms with a local tailor who made all of his business attire. Of course, said co-worker was rather well off financially due to an inheritance from a childless, unmarried aunt who had passed on.

Old 04-08-2024, 03:14 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Everything you're describing is exactly what I was referring to.

Poorly made, obviously XXL brands, business wear or "urban" fashion that entails baggy sports team references.
Did you read the first paragraph? The one where I said that DXL's Oak Hill Premium Line was good quality clothing?

I didn't mention urban brands, I mentioned professional athletes in the NFL and the NBA - those guys wear more than baggy sports team clothing. Many of them can be quite sharp dressers, or at least pull off a good fitting suit when necessary.

Honestly, if you're that outside of the normal parameters (like some of us are) you may well have to go bespoke to get something that fits well.

Perhaps you might provide more information...are you looking for suits, jackets/dress pants, business casual, working man clothing, something else?

Old 04-09-2024, 09:07 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I have a retail store and most of my suppliers don't offer anything larger than a 2XL. I have a handful that will offer limited choices in 3XL. Some allow me to order by my own size run, others require me to buy pre-packed lots, such as 2 M, 4 L, 4 XL, 2 2XL. The demand just isn't there for most brands to offer the larger extended sizes. And they cost quite a bit more.

I just don't see why most brands should be expected to go outside their standard size offerings to reach a tiny segment of the market. I think it's best to shop the brands that specialize in those extended size offerings. It's really not sexist. Plus size women also have less offerings than those who are smaller sizes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty