Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2023, 02:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times

Advertisements

Cloudy, I'm not sure what you're trying to prove with something from a site called A-Z Animals that's written by someone named Brandi, but these issues are far more complex than low-level clickbait.

Residents of Alaska practice bear safety (no matter what type of bear is likely to be around) as part of their daily routine (not so much in Anchorage I guess from what I'm hearing but that's probably due to an influx of newcomers).

The first rule of bear safety for all types of bears is to not attract them in the first place; in that respect, villagers have definitely done something right.

Additionally, Natives have hunted polar bears as well as competed with those bears for food for thousands of years; they know how to stay as safe as possible from them in the wild.

For anyone who's interested, here's an article about life in Churchill, CA (as in Canada), where polar bears have developed a significant presence:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...r-bear-capital

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-22-2023 at 02:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2023, 02:39 PM

15,414 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Cloudy, I'm not sure why you're trying to prove something with something from a site called A-Z Animals that's written by someone named Brandi, but these issues are far more complex than low-level clickbait.
I can give you endless sources.

Quote:
Jim Wilder was a young researcher on the frozen Beaufort Sea when he had his first polar bear encounter.

Wilder, now a scientist with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Alaska, is a co-author of a study analyzing all recorded cases of polar bear attacks on humans in the five countries where the animals live. He said his story shows why the popular idea of the great Arctic hunters as enthusiastic predators of humans is a myth.

"They're portrayed as these extremely dangerous man-eating beasts that are looking to attack people, which I think is fairly inaccurate."

Attacks aren't that common, he said. Although he acknowledges his list is incomplete and doesn't include data from Arctic aboriginals, Wilder's team found only 73 recorded predatory attacks in the 144 years between 1870 and 2014, 20 of them fatal.

The study, published in the Wildlife Society Bulletin, also suggests fat 'n' happy polar bears don't hunt humans.

Polar bears, said Wilder, avoid risk. Unlike black or grizzly bears, which can eat plants if necessary, polar bears must hunt.

"If they get injured, that impairs their ability to hunt," he said. "There isn't a lot of incentive for them to be aggressive — unless times are bad.
Not 'man-eating beasts'_ Study suggests attacking polar bears young, hungry _ CBC News

Quote:
No, They (Probably) Wouldn’t Attack You

Along with lions, crocodiles, and killer whales, polar bears are apex predators — meaning they’re at the top of the food chain, with no natural predators of their own to worry about. But they’re unfairly portrayed as being quick to attack people. In fact, records show only 73 recorded attacks on humans by polar bears in 144 years, between 1870-2014. Of those, 20 were fatal. But polar bears don’t attack for no reason, typically doing so only if they’re starving young males, females protecting their cubs, or provoked.
5 Things You Never Knew About Polar Bears _ Discover Magazine

Old 01-22-2023, 02:49 PM

I don't think you understand that I didn't make that claim (and you build these straw mans a lot). I was merely refuting your statement about the "guy in the video" and making it clear that those in remote villages do indeed practice bear safety at a level someone like you, who's never been to Alaska never will be, will never be able to understand.

Here's another question — why do you relentlessly troll the Alaska forum and ruin otherwise interesting threads by bludgeoning surface-level Google "knowledge?" What's the fascination with positioning yourself as an expert on the state when all you've are a few top Google hits and you've never even been here?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-22-2023 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-22-2023, 03:12 PM

15,414 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
I don't think you understand that I didn't make that claim. I was merely refuting your statement about the "guy in the video" and making it clear that those in remote villages do indeed practice bear safety at a level someone like you, who's never been to Alaska never will be, will never be able to understand.

Here's another question — why do you relentlessly troll the Alaska forum and ruin otherwise interesting threads by bludgeoning surface-level Google "knowledge?" What's the fascination with positioning yourself as an expert on the state when all you've are a few top Google hits?
Local forums on CD are not restricted to local posters. Having been on this forum for over 15 years, I would think you would know that. I read all of the forums, and I respond when I think I can add some knowledge, or to correct an inaccuracy.

Now a question for you. Why are you trying to derail the thread by making me the subject?

Old 01-22-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Local forums on CD are not restricted to local posters. Having been on this forum for over 15 years, I would think you would know that. I read all of the forums, and I respond when I think I can add some knowledge, or to correct an inaccuracy.

Now a question for you. Why are you trying to derail the thread by making me the subject?
The purpose of local forums is to provide the kind of information that typically isn't found within the first three Google hits.

Just correcting the inaccuracy of your snide comments concerning the "guy in the video." Kind of like how I did when you tried to claim that Alaska was settled by wagon trains back in the mid-19th century.

For anyone who's interested, here's an example of the villagers doing something right as a response tothe increase of polar bear activity near human habitat in their area:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dren/83357964/

Quote:
Now, with Kruger’s help, residents in Wales have created the Kingikmiut Nanuuq Patrol to monitor polar bears near their homes. They've learned how to “haze” the bears away from town with shotgun-fired noisemakers and pepper spray.
This was seven years ago. I

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-22-2023 at 04:42 PM..

Old 01-22-2023, 04:40 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:

Here's another question — why do you relentlessly troll the Alaska forum and ruin otherwise interesting threads by bludgeoning surface-level Google "knowledge?" What's the fascination with positioning yourself as an expert on the state when all you've are a few top Google hits and you've never even been here?
You know, Abraham Lincoln was a pretty smart guy. I'm sure life experience inspired one of his more commonly quoted remarks:

"'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Words to live by IMHO. The ability to root around on Google until you find garbage that supports a losing position doesn't make it any less true Cloudy.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-22-2023 at 05:05 PM..

Old 01-22-2023, 06:45 PM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
Quote:
Did you watch the video?

The "guy in the video" is talking about oral traditions passed down from his elders; this is always presented metaphorically. He makes a mild joke out of it and moves on. She would have understood what he meant.

Residents of Wales must be doing something right to keep the polar bears at bay though; there hasn't been a similar occurrence there for generations.
Yes, I watched it. I did not realize he was joking, clearly. I've not had the opportunity to spend a lot of time talking to natives since the ones in WA state near where I lived downright despised us, and the ones in the Glades would not talk to the majority of white people, especially white females. So, no, I don't know their humor.

Old 01-22-2023, 07:32 PM

It didn't have anything to do with "Native humor." It was just mild humor that shouldn't require cultural familiarity to understand.

The point was that oral history is metaphorical in nature. Never had any problems getting along with people in WA myself.

Anyway, here's a polar bear cam for anyone who's interested:

https://explore.org/livecams/polar-bears/polar-bear-cam

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-22-2023 at 07:53 PM..

Old 01-22-2023, 07:53 PM

1,810 posts, read 897,718 times
Quote:

You are not correcting inaccuracies you’re creating them.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:17 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:

I started this thread, and can say that she isn't the one derailing it. Alaskan's aren't going to tell other Alaskans in Wales what they should do about polar bears, specially the Native populations. Just relax a little and listen to what other Alaskans have to say about what happened in Wales. Every now and then we have bear and human encounters, some deadly and some that result in injury. People who have been living in Alaska for several years, even decades, already know that things like these aren't uncommon. We have had people killed by wolves, grizzly, black bears, and even that big Kodiak bears.

Last edited by RayinAK; 01-23-2023 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks