Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2021, 03:27 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,101,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The snow melted very fast, but it has been very dry in the past two or three weeks. The grass is just turning green, but there are some spots of dead grass in my yard. Willow trees have been flowering already (for the past three weeks), and the birch's new leaves, while small in size, have a beautiful light green color (new growth)

This is a willow flower:
Just drove home from town and it was like a monsoon, so hopefully you got some of that, and hopefully Two Rivers did too. They've had a few fires already - out at the shooting range and two structures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2021, 03:31 PM

1,004 posts, read 1,188,364 times
Mowing season? There is fishing season and hunting season and winter in all of Alaska!

Old 05-16-2021, 05:13 PM

729 posts, read 532,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'll guess that mowing season starts in Fairbanks around July 1 and ends July 3.
Almost but not quite. The OLD joke is:

"There are two seasons around here. Winter and the 4th of July. But even the 4th of July has been known to be cool from time to time."

To be said nonchalantly in a dry or deadpan manner.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:15 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,164,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Nice!

OK smarty pants...which willow is that?

(don't bother asking me...I don't know them all either! )
This is the most common willow seen throughout Alaska, and one of the favorite moose's food. About three to four weeks ago, the willow tree branches exposed to sunlight showed willow "buds" all around North Pole and Fairbanks. This happens every season before the snow melts, and is the first sign of the upcoming Spring. These "buds" are silvery color as they sprout on the ranches, and under the sunlight look nice and bright from a distance. You have to get real close to realize that some turn into a colorful flowers.

At the beginning all you see on the willow tress are silvery color buds, and a few days later some of the new growth starts flowering. The photo shows two willow buds that have already turned to flowers. By the way, as soon as the willow buds start to show and then turn to flowers, a lot of people in the interior of Alaska start sneezing. The second stage of heavy sneezing is taking place right now as the birch trees rapidly turn green

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-17-2021 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
Just drove home from town and it was like a monsoon, so hopefully you got some of that, and hopefully Two Rivers did too. They've had a few fires already - out at the shooting range and two structures.
I rained most of Sunday

Everything will turn green now. Mosquitos are out in force today, and the willow and birch are making me sneeze like crazy

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-17-2021 at 01:39 PM..

Old 05-17-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I'll guess that mowing season starts in Fairbanks around July 1 and ends July 3.
Oh, no. As soon as the snow melts grass starts turning green, and since the growing season is so short, it seems that you can almost see the grass and plants growing. Since it rained yesterday, the grass showed turn green real fast now. Early last week the birch trees showed very small leaves the size of a sweet pea, but today the birch in my backyard are nice and green. By August, the wild blueberries are almost ready for picking.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:44 PM

I took the following photos of willow flowers a few years ago. You can see the yellow pollen that people are allergic to:

Old 05-17-2021, 04:45 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,212,763 times
^^^^^^

I guess the growing season has begun now and probably started around late April or early May in your neck of the woods.

Old 05-17-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
^^^^^^

I guess the growing season has begun now and probably started around late April or early May in your neck of the woods.
The lawn and trees growing season. But the ground is too cold for growing potato, lettuce, tomato, and other veggies. It's still getting in the low 40 degrees F. at night.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:49 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I rained most of Sunday

Everything will turn green now. Mosquitos are out in force today, and the willow and birch are making me sneeze like crazy
I'm very lucky. I hardly react at all to the few noticeable pollens we have up here. In years when the spruce pollen turns the air yellow my eyes notice the particulate load in the air but it isn't what I'd call an allergic reaction. While doing field work I could push through a willow/alder thicket and get coated with pollen with no effects at all unlike my poor co-workers. Not the case down south...depending on where I was the misery could last almost half the year. Grew up dreading spring and summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks