Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2024, 09:57 AM

6,755 posts, read 6,006,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I now go to Lifetime Fitness. It's very nice but the loud overhead music is very annoying and people having conversations have to scream to each other to be heard. We have complained but the manger says "Studies show that gym goers prefer music at that level". I call bull. If anything will get me to leave this gym for another it's how loud the music is. I can even hear it (and the conversations) over my headphones.
You could email the company's customer service. I've found them quite responsive.

I go to a Lifetime as well, and mostly like it but the music just is driving me batty. I mean it's not rap with F-bombs but it's just incessant and I would love a little quiet once in a while. They pipe it in to the fitness floor, the lobby, the locker rooms, and the sidewalk outside the main entrance.

My plan is to buy a 2nd pair of noise cancelling headphones (I need one by my desk and don't want to get it all sweaty), put a towel over my head then wear the phones on the fitness floor. I don't care if I look silly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2024, 10:04 PM

487 posts, read 638,773 times
Anyone with a cell phone! The gym is for training. If there's a family emergency have them call you to the front desk. It is so damn annoying seeing someone thumbing their phone while sitting on a piece of equipment for much longer than they should between sets.

Old 05-19-2024, 06:43 AM

4,083 posts, read 2,175,666 times
Wow! I went to Lifetime pre pandemic. I had to avoid sone classes where they blasted the music, like spinning and Zumba. Just have sensitive ears and I would like to preserve my hearing. They did play music in all the areas you mentioned, but not blasting it. Most people don’t seem to mind. There are now more older people these days, I think, since Lifetime now has free memberships through many Medicare Advantage plans, but I guess they don’t mind. I have a friend my age, 70, who doesn’t mind loud music. She says she tunes it out. My ears aren’t that sophisticated. They don’t have an on off switch. I have measured the decibel level in sone classes at other gyms and it is well into the danger zone!

Thanks, SanyBelle and BlisterPeanuts for mentioning the loud music. It’s a deal breaker for me, no matter what classes they have and how beautiful the facility is. I sometimes wonder about rejoining, but would have to pay out if pocket, $109 a month, but now I won’t.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:55 AM

5,475 posts, read 3,566,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
Wow! I went to Lifetime pre pandemic. I had to avoid sone classes where they blasted the music, like spinning and Zumba. Just have sensitive ears and I would like to preserve my hearing. They did play music in all the areas you mentioned, but not blasting it. Most people don’t seem to mind. There are now more older people these days, I think, since Lifetime now has free memberships through many Medicare Advantage plans, but I guess they don’t mind. I have a friend my age, 70, who doesn’t mind loud music. She says she tunes it out. My ears aren’t that sophisticated. They don’t have an on off switch. I have measured the decibel level in sone classes at other gyms and it is well into the danger zone!

Thanks, SanyBelle and BlisterPeanuts for mentioning the loud music. It’s a deal breaker for me, no matter what classes they have and how beautiful the facility is. I sometimes wonder about rejoining, but would have to pay out if pocket, $109 a month, but now I won’t.
I told the manager at my LT that they are all going to be deaf someday. He said yes probably since it's been like this in his 30 years of working at gyms. They just don't care.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:28 PM

22,453 posts, read 29,637,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
Anyone with a cell phone! The gym is for training. If there's a family emergency have them call you to the front desk. It is so damn annoying seeing someone thumbing their phone while sitting on a piece of equipment for much longer than they should between sets.
I ask them how much longer and then will just stand there until they get off or finish. I'm done playing around with idiots

Old 05-22-2024, 07:35 AM

9,515 posts, read 8,517,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauailover View Post
Not everyone who carries a cellphone uses it to peruse social media for 20 mins between sets. I keep mine in my pocket so that I can listen to my music. I'm not into the country/top 40 crap they play over the speakers so I must have my own music. But I hear you, the (usually younger) people who park themselves on machines and play with their phones is maddening. You just have to be stern with them and ask how much longer they have, it's the nicest way of saying "Hey bud/gal, I'm over here waiting to that bench/machine....hurry the (bleep) up".

Old 05-23-2024, 05:28 AM

30,895 posts, read 19,519,412 times
When I was doing my yoga tone class the other day, a woman put her matt right behind mine and put her dumb bells and water bottle partially on my matt. When the class got going, I was accidentally kicking her weights and water bottle over as well as sweating on her matt, she got the message and moved her matt away from me which I don't know why she didn't do that from the beginning, there was plenty of room to do so.

By the way, I'm quite tall so I use up the entirety of my matt and occasionally a little more when jumping around.

I thought she was very annoying and she probably thought I was but there's nothing I can do about being tall.

My question is was she deliberately trying to annoy/bully me? I lean to yes on the question.

Old 05-23-2024, 08:26 AM

879 posts, read 1,030,437 times
The younger ones who like to take selfies in the locker room to show the progress (allegedly) of their muscles from their workouts, without any regard of the fact that they're also getting me changing clothes in the background. Ugh.

Old 05-23-2024, 11:38 AM

9,515 posts, read 8,517,532 times
The younger couple who sat on the same back extension machine this morning for nearly an hour. I patiently waited and did four other exercises of 4 sets /10-12 reps each, so quite a while. There is a machine next to it but it's not as good and the setup with the grips is different, but other than dumbbells there was no other option so I sat on that machine. Noticed the handle/grip for the machine was under their bench so I asked the guy nicely "Hi - are you using that grip?" He didn't look at me and shook his head in a yes motion. I asked again as I'd noticed it sat under their bench for almost 30 minutes "You're using that?" Another no-look head shake. Mmmkay, so I jimmied a grip onto the lesser back extension and did my 4 sets there, another 7-9 minutes or so of exercises and of course they never touched that grip at all.

Next time I just grab it and don't ask.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

6,755 posts, read 6,006,086 times
The current jerk at my gym is the unidentified person or persons who leaves the weights set up on a bench after they are done.

Twice in the past week, I have found one of the 6 benches (which are always in demand) to have plates installed but no weight lifter in sight. I asked a guy on a neighboring machine if he was on this bench and he said no, and hadn't seen anyone in quite a while so it was probably available.

Today, I found one with weights installed and no one around. After waiting a minute or two, I went ahead and put away his weights, put my weights on and proceeded to do my exercise.

I classify this with the person at a party who leaves the bathroom door closed after they are done. Why would someone do this? No one's going in there if the door's closed. So annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness