Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2022, 05:53 PM

81 posts, read 81,630 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the same city here in SoCal since I was 8 yrs old (62 now). Not to diss California but I've long needed a change of scenery. My sons are in there early 20s (living at home) and they've decided they don't want to live here long term. So as a family, we've decided to look into northern states with cooler climates. I'm well aware of Oregon's issues within some of its larger cities. However, we wouldn't need to be near those. Just a nice area with some good amenities for them and good parks for my wife and I. Rain, no problem. Heck it doesn't even have to be Oregon! Just a change.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 09:44 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
what do you want out of your new home? "change of scenery" and "cooler climates" would describe most of the northern US.
price range? Well, if you're selling a home in SoCal...

Oregon has great parks, but "good amenities" probably means you want to be nearish to a city. Maybe check out the I-5 corridor, with Eugene, Salem, Portland.

Search youtube for "oregon" and you can get video tours of many towns. There's an especially charming one for Roseburg.

Old 10-05-2022, 11:03 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Also check out Corvallis. University towns are good, amenities-wise. Corvallis has an incredibly charming downtown area, too, and has a small-town feel compared to Eugene and Salem (it's 1/3 the size, but doesn't lack for amenities).

Old 10-05-2022, 12:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
If you've got adult sons still living at home, you might want to think about places where they can get jobs or go to school or whatever, and that's going to be in the more populated areas. Maybe somewhere in Washington.

Old 10-05-2022, 01:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
What are yours and kids and spouse skillset / job, medical,or schooling requirements?

Would you prefer a drier climate? (Bend, OR is very popular CA exodus location)

So... Define your musts and first look there. Vancouver WA worked well as a high wage (Portland wage rates) no income tax domicile when I arrived in my 20's. Wages are very dependent on skillsets, and whether hourly (local) or salary (national wage rate).

Idaho is the current preferred location of CA, WA, OR exiles. +/-. 3 CA families we were with this week are headed to ID as their next destination. Friends from Bend and Reno moved to northern Idaho last year. (Chased out by influx from CA).

Many of my CA coworkers came to WA, but retained their Prop 13 homes in CA. They're now happily retired back in CA, with summer homes in WA and OR.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
One younger brother moved from CA, near Sacramento to Oregon when they retired. They are currently renting in Hillsboro, while looking for a house to buy between there and Portland.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:01 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
oh... do be advised many of the towns in OR and WA have slipped into homeless nests, and unfortunately crime has followed. You can find enclaves of nice and many places (including city and county parks) that are now very trashy.

Portland does have some fantastic parks if you're looking to volunteer as a gardener. And Forest Park is quite large for trekking. https://www.portland.gov/parks/forest-park

The nearby Columbia Gorge and Mt Hood, Helens, and Adams have a lot of remote hiking.
North Oregon Coast is 1 hr west and a nice retreat as well.

Vancouver, WA and Portland are pretty interchangable as locations, with reasons for each. They are only a bridge apart.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:58 PM

81 posts, read 81,630 times
Thank you that responded.

In her research, my wife is concerned about the wildfire "carryover" that Oregon seems to be dealing with these days (bad allergies). We've done some YouTube touring for each of the cities recommended. Corvallis is very nice but ironically similar to where we already live. I guess we were hoping for more "semi modern" communities. The blend of the old and new are done well in most cases. However, there just seems to be a lackluster vibe going on in the state. Oregon isn't alone in this observation. Many states still seem to be recovering slowly from past few years, our's included. Probably not the best time to think about moving. Beautiful state Oregon, just not on our radar anymore. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area