Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 01:53 PM

30,619 posts, read 21,484,858 times

Advertisements

She is never on my radar and never think about her.

Old 05-12-2024, 02:01 PM

733 posts, read 1,049,944 times
She's ok but she's no Godzilla. The Big G is more popular than ever in his 70th year. His movies are still doing great box office and he won an Oscar this year. Where will Swift be in 70 years?

Old 05-15-2024, 10:43 AM

11,667 posts, read 12,779,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghobi View Post
There’s nothing to it. She’s very tween. Back in the day she was noticed for the limits of her live performance, her weak vocals, being flat chested skinny, not sexy in the least. She was innocent, beautiful. Somehow she augmented her body and gained weight because the public didn’t like her lack of appeal..

Now there’s a bunch of soft whisper singers Billie Eilish I thought ugh you don’t need a good voice or singing ability, Taylor somehow managed to do something to improve her voice, auto tune or something. I saw a grown man raving about her. Maybe he’s a tween inside too.

There’s a market for young impressionable girls who need a role model of a wholesome kind. Somehow she managed to market herself powerfully. The fact she’s successful and works hard is enough to admire her success but she’s made enough dough, can’t we retire her and the Madonna’s of the world?

Same with Jlo. People of limited talent still clinging to cash in. It’s worse than nepo baby. What’s a term for multi millionaire, billionaires who won’t go away and don’t give any real artists an honest chance at a career? At some point you’ve done enough and have nothing more to say.

Add Beyonce too, going into country, just go away. I think she’s getting older and cannot be the same type of sex symbol without it looking desperate like Madonna. Somebody told her this was a lucrative direction, just cold business motives. But like lemmings their audience will just follow them around.
Agree with the above

Last generation's female vocalist sensation was JLo. She was a trained ballet dancer like Paula Abdul. She is neither Jenny from the block (comes from an upper middle class family) and doesn't have an exceptional voice. She can dance because of her training. Paula Abdul didn't have the heavy following like Taylor Swift. She had a few hits, but her strength was and still is her dancing.

The Taylor Swift and Beyonce adoration, I guess, is both luck and good management. Their looks limit their longevity like female actresses. Unlike Aretha or Shirley Bassey, who never promoted their looks, only their vocal abilities, Taylor Swift and Beyonce will grow old. It's unfortunate that we have such a double standard for female artists. Keith Richard and Roger Daltry can grow old and wrinkled and people will still pay a lot of money to go to their concerts.

Old 05-15-2024, 11:00 AM

1,177 posts, read 654,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Their looks limit their longevity like female actresses. Unlike Aretha or Shirley Bassey, who never promoted their looks, only their vocal abilities, Taylor Swift and Beyonce will grow old. It's unfortunate that we have such a double standard for female artists. Keith Richard and Roger Daltry can grow old and wrinkled and people will still pay a lot of money to go to their concerts.
That's what I wondered... if Taylor Swift was fat, wore glasses and had short hair would she be popular and would her songs be top 10 pretty much right after release?

I agree with the double standard of men vs women in the entertainment industry. Especially with music.

That song "Video killed the radio star" is so appropriate.

Remember before music videos?

Those were the days where a musician relied mostly on their voice, the actual music to succeed.

Old 05-15-2024, 03:39 PM

23,566 posts, read 44,272,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Marketing. She is hyped by the music machine as the greatest thing, so people think she's the greatest thing. Spend any time on YouTube and you can find as good or better singers that just don't get "discovered" and don't have the marketing magic.

There's been an awful murder down on music row.
I think that tnff hit the bullseye.

I don't get it, either, but my tastes have always leaned into the esoteric.
Give me Grace Potter all day, every day. I like 'em salty...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHlhOgQ36m8

Old 05-16-2024, 04:28 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,684,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
That's what I wondered... if Taylor Swift was fat, wore glasses and had short hair would she be popular and would her songs be top 10 pretty much right after release?

I agree with the double standard of men vs women in the entertainment industry. Especially with music.

That song "Video killed the radio star" is so appropriate.

Remember before music videos?

Those were the days where a musician relied mostly on their voice, the actual music to succeed.
I dunno... I don't think anyone has ever considered Celine Dion to be a hot woman. And yet...

Old 05-16-2024, 08:35 PM

23,566 posts, read 44,272,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I dunno... I don't think anyone has ever considered Celine Dion to be a hot woman. And yet...
Many of the "Divas" of the last 100 years were not 'hot'. Their voices transcended that. Why do you think drag queens emulate them? It's about feminine power, not 'hotness'.

Old 05-18-2024, 10:00 PM

3,670 posts, read 1,630,135 times
Talent in families can continue down the line. I guess Miley Cyrus is a nepo but she has real singing talent.

And I think Kate Hudson just released her debut album where she writes and sings her own songs. I heard a clip and I liked her song and voice.

Of course we don't hear real voices most of the time, they are pitch corrected, or lip syncing. Music artists on late night talk shows was often the real voice. Especially from the 80-90's, like Joan Osborne, Natalie Merchant, etc. The band is playing real too on late night shows (not always on SNL).

Cher sometimes sang in her real voice. Not often in concerts. Although I found a concert clip of Cher in her real voice that I'm surprised was released because her real voice at the concert was not very good. May have been a performance in some EU country where singing in real voice is required. Fleetwood Mac did a concert in Europe in the real voices- and it's not pretty!

Old 05-20-2024, 09:34 AM

4,588 posts, read 5,468,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Exactly! Same with Adele when she hit the bigtime. Funny is that Adele seemed to get more hate AFTER she lost all that weight and became pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Taylor Swift... what's with the hype / phenomenon?

I don't understand the hype to be honest.

Is she really that talented musically?

Or is it because of great marketing?

Or is it because of her "look"? - The iconic skinny pretty blond white girl?

If she was a "bigger" plain looking woman, would she still be as popular?
HodgePodge, how old are you? I ask because maybe, just maybe you are too old to really understand and appreciate her music. Just like a lot of kids today dont really like what they consider to be "old music". Music is often generational (with some exceptions). Young people dont like old peoples music, and old people dont like what young people listen to. What kind of music do YOU like, listen to and have on your playlists?

Im an "old" rocker/punk/grunge guy (like Rage Against The Machine, Joni Mitchell, Hendrix, X, RHCP, Soundgarden, STP, Joplin, Van Halen, Metallica, SRV, Ice Cube, etc.) but yet, when I hear Swift music, even when I dont know its her, Im like "Wow, this song is catchy. I actually like this, who is it?". Her songs are well written lyricly (mostly be her), music is well produced, she's a pretty darn good acoustic guitar player with her chord progressions (that she also writes herself) and she's about as wholesome as it gets (not raunchy, not shaking her booty around) and she does a LOT for charities. I mean a LOT. She's basically a young Dolly Parton.

As far as her performances in her concerts goes, I havent seen it but I've heard/read where even the most critical people like hardcore rappers, NFL players, NBA players, etc. who have taken their kids to see her in concert came away as fans after saying that they were blown away with just how good she is.

Im thinking maybe the reason you dont "get her" or her music is that you are of an older generation and/or feel like you dont like her because of what you think is her politics. Let me guess, you are a Beyonce/Kelly Rowland fan or a MAGA/conservative person right?

Old 05-20-2024, 10:40 AM

12,442 posts, read 8,239,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Agree with the above

Last generation's female vocalist sensation was JLo. She was a trained ballet dancer like Paula Abdul. She is neither Jenny from the block (comes from an upper middle class family) and doesn't have an exceptional voice. She can dance because of her training. Paula Abdul didn't have the heavy following like Taylor Swift. She had a few hits, but her strength was and still is her dancing.

The Taylor Swift and Beyonce adoration, I guess, is both luck and good management. Their looks limit their longevity like female actresses. Unlike Aretha or Shirley Bassey, who never promoted their looks, only their vocal abilities, Taylor Swift and Beyonce will grow old. It's unfortunate that we have such a double standard for female artists. Keith Richard and Roger Daltry can grow old and wrinkled and people will still pay a lot of money to go to their concerts.
I think their fans will follow them into the oldies tour and if PBS still exist on the fundraiser you will see the 60 something year old pop star singing a melody of her hits for the pledge drive at worst, or as a public service at best. They will be just like another dancer who also sang and acted a little but as a total entertainer Madonna would probably sell out any venue today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts