Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 01:20 PM

1,230 posts, read 988,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When we bought our first flat-screen TV we found right away that we needed a good sound bar with a woofer. If you are using just speakers on the TV then there isn't much you can do to help. A good soundbar has settings to "tune" for the type of show, music, movie, sports or voice enhancement, for example.
It is possible the TV has terrible speakers and that is why I’m having trouble hearing it.

But DVDs I seem to hear better than blue ray. It could be that the sound and talking is separated with blue ray where with DVD is all one part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2024, 06:27 PM

12,030 posts, read 6,561,999 times
I think the sound technicians for movies must be on hard drugs.
They make the background sounds — traffic, guns, music, bombings, bar noise, party noise, small airplane motors, bad weather, etc etc etc so loud you can’t hear the conversations. The background noise is LOUDER than the people talking.
We tried two different sound bars and it didn’t help.

Old 02-05-2024, 05:02 PM

9,110 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
I think the sound technicians for movies must be on hard drugs.
They make the background sounds — traffic, guns, music, bombings, bar noise, party noise, small airplane motors, bad weather, etc etc etc so loud you can’t hear the conversations. The background noise is LOUDER than the people talking.
We tried two different sound bars and it didn’t help.

I agree; raising the volume does not seem to help with understanding the dialog. All it does is increase the vast noise background that seems required in recent movies.

I rarely go to a movie theater because the sound level is damaging to most people's hearing. On the rar times I go to a theater, I wear ear plugs to filter the BOOM BOOM BOOM that seems to accompany most movies.

At home, I keep the volume low, but keep CC on.

I have excellent speakers but when something is LOUD, even excellent speakers cannot make the spoken word clearer.

Old 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubble99 View Post
I watch lot of movies and TV shows of 90s and before and never really had problem like this, but seems blue ray you can never hear people talking and have to turn the volume up to 70 or higher, but sound effects and other sound get very loud at even 20 so unless you don’t want to wake up the people next door you always turning the TV volume up when they talk and turn the volume down when they are not talking.

Why is Hollywood doing this? Why is it you have to turn the volume up to 70 or higher to hear them? But all other sounds get very loud at volume 20?

With blue ray it like you can never hear people talking and have to turn the volume up to 70 or higher to hear them. But all other sounds get so loud it is like you want to wake everyone up on your street at even volume 20.

I'd agree a sound bar would help, but I've gone old school with the Marantz NR1403 amp, use two Kenwood L07M mono amps to power the front towers as the amp has preamp outs for the fronts, a couple rears , a decent powered sub for bass, and a nice center channel speaker for voice, so a 5.1 surround sound config with multi-channel mode for tv and direct 2.1 channel for tunes.

Old 02-10-2024, 02:02 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I find myself complaining more and more about obnoxiously indistinct dialog and overwhelming background sound too. There's a lot more to it than volume. Dialog can be quietly muddy or LOUDLY muddy. My hearing is still acute and I don't choose to subject it to overly loud media. My current TV is a flat screen (definitely not top of any line ) which made that worse. A soundbar does help somewhat, but some show dialog is simply shamefully unintelligible. Sure, turning on CC would help, but if there's a lot going on visually, that creates another problem...having to focus on reading the subtitling but missing out on details in the visual. I don't enjoy pausing and re-playing scenes over and over again every few minutes. So much for getting immersed. I need to be pretty intrigued with a film to put up with that nonsense. The majority of new releases I have a minor passing interest in anyway so if the acting is unintelligible, they only get one chance. Then they're dumped and forgotten.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-10-2024 at 02:17 PM..

Old 02-13-2024, 12:52 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
Smart TVs built in recent years have a feature called "Auto Volume" which is typically off by default.
This feature regulates (normalize/compress) the volume of each show or channel to match the volume setting you currently have.
So, if the sound in the program is exceeding the set volume level, it should compress (make it quieter) or, if it is too low, normalize (make it louder) to match your setting.

Here is a video on how to do this on Samsung TVs. Other brands might be a little different but they should be under Settings > Sound/Audio.
This is the instructions for LG TVs.

Not sure if this would help but worth a shot!

Old 02-14-2024, 06:04 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
The current movies pretty much suck, so they have to resort to things like amping up the sound in order to hold people's attention. It's not an accident that they do this, they're not stupid, But w/ a bad script and low quality actors and directors, they have to this during the editing in order to generate interest.

Old 02-16-2024, 05:11 PM

278 posts, read 80,965 times
I think the movies come with audio meant for theaters with large, multiple speakers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts