Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2024, 05:37 PM

1,081 posts, read 609,540 times

Advertisements

The big article on the BBC news today said that EV's have had their tax credits seriously curtailed or stopped all together. This is across the board in almost every nation. The reason is that in the beginning, w/ just a few (two) brands to choose from, the finance ministers were willing to help get the EV's on their roads and curtail petrol fueled cars to help w/ their pollution problems. But now there are many, many EV manufacturers, and no credits are needed anymore. People are choosing EV's on their own.

Can't say that I blame them. I've been riding eBikes for a couple of decades, even back in the days of the heavy, lead acid battery bikes w/ very limited range. They just don't break, and they're smooth and quiet. I'm still a hot rod guy, and love the sound of a big V8 car going through the gears, but a fast EV is capable of startling performance. It has instant full torque from a stand still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 01:00 PM

3,839 posts, read 2,361,855 times
I think it's great. Get rid of the tax breaks now that the market has heated up. Enough competition to drive prices down on their own, battery costs are dropping, more people are finding the benefits (it's a thing that if you have an EV and let friends and neighbors drive it, it's likely that they will buy one, as well).

Getting rid of the tax breaks can remove one of the bigger talking point barriers for the naysayers, as well. Even though their preferred means of propelling a car gets taxpayer subsidies/tax breaks, and even bigger, the military support that isn't factored into the cost of oil...

Old 05-07-2024, 02:20 PM

19,103 posts, read 14,088,006 times
I'd rather them have a reason to keep flapping so I get a tax break on my next car.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM

26,289 posts, read 49,214,254 times
My morning email from Bloomberg Hyperdrive says big discounts are popping up all over. Excerpt:

Quote:
Hyundai is lopping $10,000 off its Ioniq 5 electric sport utility vehicle. Ford is dangling more than $8,000 discounts for the Mustang Mach-E. And bargain-hunters can now lease a Polestar 2 sedan for less than a Honda Accord.

Such is the state of the US car market, where suddenly elevated inventory levels have automakers offering screaming deals that were scarce during the pandemic and its initial aftermath. While EVs are far from alone in getting marked down, their incentive packages are well above the industry average — in many cases, exceeding 15% to 20% of average transaction prices, according to market researcher Kelley Blue Book.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM

12,652 posts, read 9,812,299 times
At first it was unclear, and it was being hotly debated here - whether or not the EV market had slowed down or at least leveled off. I think at this point, it's clear that it has leveled off at least for the time being.

For Tesla, who has been the dominant design ad engineering innovator as well as the market leader, basically shaping the whole segment, defining what a modern EV is, how they are designed, how they perform, how they are charged... they got so many big things right for about 10 years - it was incredible. But in the past few years, I think there have been some misfires, and maybe a diminished focus on EVs as opposed to AI and robotics and Twitter, moving Elon's address to Mars, etc

I think it's good that loud and concerted input from analysts and investors got Elon Musk to take the Model 2 development project off the back burner, and got him to try to reconstruct the public charging team and expand their efforts. I don't know if it will be enough to restore them to their prior trajectory.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; Yesterday at 10:19 AM..

Old Today, 09:19 AM

336 posts, read 177,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
At first it was unclear, and it was being hotly debated here - whether or not the EV market had slowed down or at least leveled off. I think at this point, it's clear that it has leveled off at least for the time being.
Neither.
The apparent upswing in sales 2021-2023 was largely a function of ICE cars not being readily available. People who got sick of waiting for a Toyota hybrid with all the dealership markups, simply got Teslas, as they were readily available without all the drama.

If it wasn't for that, you would have seen a gradual increase in the rate of adoption, which will continue. The problem is that some people internalized that sharp increase in EV sales as something normal, and now think there is a decrease.
Nothing decreased. It all just went back to normal as ICE availability improved.
It's never good to skip steps. Once everything is converted to hybrids or PHEVs, we can talk about mass adoption.
Otherwise, history will repeat itself and we'll have another documentary: "Who killed electric car - Part 3"

Old Today, 02:49 PM

21,967 posts, read 25,322,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
Neither.
The apparent upswing in sales 2021-2023 was largely a function of ICE cars not being readily available. People who got sick of waiting for a Toyota hybrid with all the dealership markups, simply got Teslas, as they were readily available without all the drama.

If it wasn't for that, you would have seen a gradual increase in the rate of adoption, which will continue. The problem is that some people internalized that sharp increase in EV sales as something normal, and now think there is a decrease.
Nothing decreased. It all just went back to normal as ICE availability improved.
It's never good to skip steps. Once everything is converted to hybrids or PHEVs, we can talk about mass adoption.
Otherwise, history will repeat itself and we'll have another documentary: "Who killed electric car - Part 3"
Tesla did 9-16k markups on the 3/Y and they had 12-16 month wait lists at the time as well.

Entire market, EV and ICE, was stupid during COVID period. EV was even more so. I initially looked in 2022 and noped out of the market as the Ioniq 5 was 6-8k over MSRP with a ~6 month waitlist. When I bought in June 2023 the Ioniq 5 was 5k off MSRP and they had some, but not a lot, of inventory. Ended up with the used Polestar 2 instead but pretty silly that people all wanted to pay 6-8k markups rather than just wait 9 months for 5k off MSRP. Now it's 10k off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles