Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 07:53 AM

19,054 posts, read 13,968,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Never been to Montana, eh?
If every single person in Montana drove pickups and towed with them every single day, it would still only be .5% of the US population doing so.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 05:36 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
But lets be real, how many owners of pickups actually use them for anything but hauling some stuff they picked up at a yard sale or a couple bags of mulch for the flower beds? All this towing nonsense means very little as the bulk of users will not be towing anything but a camper and odds are it's only to the lake at the nearby state park. Any serious heavy-duty or commercial user will be looking for maximum versatility, (ice vehicles at the top) not the latest "look what I bought" fad. Electric pickups will sell well, but not because of their "roughed" ability but for the same reason Bitsy and Chad own their current pickup.
Lots of trucks, and also everything else in Alaska. But over here people use their trucks for everything, towing trailers and campers (travel trailers), hunting, camping, driving family members, and so on. Then there are single people, married ones with family, etc., than have one truck the entire family drives.

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I'm sticking with an ICE pickup but when I need to replace the Mountaineer I am interested in an EV. Has to have a little bit of ground clearance too as our city snow plowing leaves something to be desired. My wife drives a Subaru Forester. Something similar to that. EVs I've looked at that are similar are well north of a Forester or Outback price-wise. I don't need nothing fancy.
If you can wait until 2026, Subaru is going to be releasing 4 new models, all of which will have the Tesla NACS charging port. But if you truly are looking for a vehicle that will ONLY be used around town, you might take a peek at the Subaru Solterra. It has the standard Subaru AWD, but because it has a slightly lower battery range and slower charging time AND it doesn't have the NACS charging port, it's not selling all that well. You might be able to get one at an extremely good price! And for an around-town car that's rarely if ever going to be driven more than 40 miles or so per day, the slower recharge rate won't matter much. (I'd double-check to make sure it has the ability to pre-condition the battery, though, especially if you park it outside while charging it.)

If my current Subaru Forester bit the dust, I'd seriously consider the Solterra for the same reason: most of my everyday driving is very short-range.

Old Today, 09:58 AM

2,055 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
If you can wait until 2026, Subaru is going to be releasing 4 new models, all of which will have the Tesla NACS charging port. But if you truly are looking for a vehicle that will ONLY be used around town, you might take a peek at the Subaru Solterra. It has the standard Subaru AWD, but because it has a slightly lower battery range and slower charging time AND it doesn't have the NACS charging port, it's not selling all that well. You might be able to get one at an extremely good price! And for an around-town car that's rarely if ever going to be driven more than 40 miles or so per day, the slower recharge rate won't matter much. (I'd double-check to make sure it has the ability to pre-condition the battery, though, especially if you park it outside while charging it.)

If my current Subaru Forester bit the dust, I'd seriously consider the Solterra for the same reason: most of my everyday driving is very short-range.

I looked at the Solterra. It didn't have good reviews. Unless something catastrophic happens to the Mountaineer, I see driving it for a few more years. I don't like being on the bleeding edge of stuff so I kind of want to see how the whole EV market and technology shakes out. In my opinion, EV mass market is still in it's infancy.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
I looked at the Solterra. It didn't have good reviews. Unless something catastrophic happens to the Mountaineer, I see driving it for a few more years. I don't like being on the bleeding edge of stuff so I kind of want to see how the whole EV market and technology shakes out. In my opinion, EV mass market is still in it's infancy.
Yeah, from what I recall, the bZ4X/Solterra had positive comments on e.g. comfortable ride, comfortable interior, good ergonomics - the stuff Toyota already knew how to do. But the new technology aspects - the electric motor power, the range, the charging time - were all subpar. Sales have been sluggish all along, I think it's mostly the hard-core brand loyalists who buy them.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; Today at 11:11 AM..

Old Today, 12:07 PM

Quote:
The bad reviews, though, are all about the limited battery range and the slow charging, which are things that don't matter much in a city car that's being driven less than 50 miles per day and is always charged overnight at home. Ditto with not having an NACS charging port. That's why I suggested it,, IF you could find a really good deal on one (which you probably could). Right now it's the only AWD EV other than a Tesla that's available at a reasonable list price - and I bet you could drive the sale price quite a bit lower than that.

But I agree with you that waiting to see how things shake out is also a reasonable option. That's what I am doing, too, as my own Forester still has plenty of life left in it. But you might keep the Solterra in mind if something happens to the Mountaineer and you HAVE to get a new AWD vehicle to replace it.

Old Today, 04:39 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
The bad reviews, though, are all about the limited battery range and the slow charging, which are things that don't matter much in a city car that's being driven less than 50 miles per day and is always charged overnight at home. Ditto with not having an NACS charging port. That's why I suggested it,, IF you could find a really good deal on one (which you probably could). Right now it's the only AWD EV other than a Tesla that's available at a reasonable list price - and I bet you could drive the sale price quite a bit lower than that.

But I agree with you that waiting to see how things shake out is also a reasonable option. That's what I am doing, too, as my own Forester still has plenty of life left in it. But you might keep the Solterra in mind if something happens to the Mountaineer and you HAVE to get a new AWD vehicle to replace it.

I understand what you are saying. Just don't want a vehicle that only the dealer can work on or gets abandoned altogether. Way back when, my brother bought a Daihatsu Rocky. Two years later they left the US market. Not that Subaru is going anywhere, but I can see the Solterra becoming somewhat of an orphan.

Old Today, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. Just don't want a vehicle that only the dealer can work on or gets abandoned altogether. Way back when, my brother bought a Daihatsu Rocky. Two years later they left the US market. Not that Subaru is going anywhere, but I can see the Solterra becoming somewhat of an orphan.
That's understandable. I think right now that's a risk you take when buying any EV, (except maybe Tesla) unfortunately.

And I do worry that Subaru may not survive the ICE-to-EV transition. Every time there is a radical technology shift, some established companies do get left behind and go under. I hope Subaru doesn't turn out to be one of them. I also hope Rivian makes it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles