Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 10:36 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I just finished up a bio of Michael Bloomberg, and given his hatred for Trump, and his mega-billions he can spend funding any Democratic Candidate, let's not overlook Bloomberg's influence on the upcoming election.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 11:13 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I just finished up a bio of Michael Bloomberg, and given his hatred for Trump, and his mega-billions he can spend funding any Democratic Candidate, let's not overlook Bloomberg's influence on the upcoming election.

What do you think?

I suspect the Biden campaign will have an unlimited amount of money to spend. Trump? I don't know. However, he does have 100% name recognition and when Trump campaigns in AZ for example, he gets local coverage for 24 hours and sound bites from his speech make the news channels.

My guess is we can expect Trump to hit the swing states over and over and over again. Trump enjoys the crowds, plays to the crowd, enjoys the cheers and public sees this. It's a big advantage he has over other politicians and one reason the Dems hoped to tie him up in court and off the campaign trail.

Those like me who live in a battleground state I think we expect to see Biden attack ads run nightly on local and cable TV along with YouTube. And to find a large size political post card sent by the Biden team in the mailbox once or twice a week.

Will it work? Will enough money push Biden over the finish line again?

It's possible but I wouldn't bet on it.

Old 03-15-2024, 01:36 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

My guess is we can expect Trump to hit the swing states over and over and over again. Trump enjoys the crowds, plays to the crowd, enjoys the cheers and public sees this. It's a big advantage he has over other politicians and one reason the Dems hoped to tie him up in court and off the campaign trail.
I agree about Trump loving crowds. There are two related aspects that spin off this. His major fundraising bases tend to be in Red States or red areas of purple states. So he can fundraise while also hitting a state that matters electorally. When a Dem heads to NY, CA, or Illinois to fundraise, it pulls them away from areas where they need to win votes. The other wrinkle is that Trump will wade deep into rural or less populated areas as long as they will book him a large enough venue. He lives for the mile long car line and full parking lots. This pays off when often overlooked voters get amped up. I know they looked at SE North Carolina specifically after 2020. Trump had ditched going into the Raleigh Durham metro which is blue but central to most of the state and hit the corners. His vote haul in the SE part of the state was actually historic and basically explains how he carried the state by 70k votes. Again the vote center for Dems is urban/suburban (and they are expected to pick more diverse areas) so they leave swaths of voters untouched by their campaigns.

Old 03-16-2024, 12:44 AM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times
Quote:

What do you think?

Bloomberg is more ineffective today than in 2020. He is disliked in the Democrat party he tried to buy off in 2020. Outside of New York, he has ZERO influence in the heartland.

I find him a very fake and opportunist person and the Democrats saw it in the 2020 Democrat primary and rejected him badly. He was a corporate Democrat all his life then he became a Republican in 2001, the year to be a Republican because of 9/11 and to get Giuliani support since Rudy was a very famous mayor at the time. He was a big W Bush supporter. He won and continue Rudy's policies especially with stop and frisk that he later rejected when he became a Democrat again and was running for President in 2020. The Democrats saw how he is rejected him. He got 7% of the vote and spent 1 billion plus dollars.

Old 03-16-2024, 12:48 AM

^^^

Bloomberg may not be popular with the Democrats, but ineffective? Do you realize what his millions and possibly a couple billion would do to this current election?

Old 03-16-2024, 01:19 AM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times
Quote:
^^^

Bloomberg may not be popular with the Democrats, but ineffective? Do you realize what his millions and possibly a couple billion would do to this current election?
It didn't do anything for him in the 2020 Democrat primary or his 2016 endorsement of Hillary Clinton. Outside of New York? Nothing. If millions was the #1 issue, Jeb Bush would have won in 2016 but like Bloomberg himself, he got trashed.

Old 03-16-2024, 02:16 AM

^^

So what you're saying is that if he spends a billion or 2 on funding Democratic races, like he did in 2020, or expensive ads for Biden, it would have no effect on the election this year?

Old 03-16-2024, 08:48 AM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Why does it seem that many people only have an issue when billionaires support Democrats? The truth is that far more billionaires bankroll Republicans and their causes. Just look at the likes of the Kochs, Mellon, Thiel, Adelsons, Singers, Scwhab, Wynn

Old 03-16-2024, 09:00 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,204,617 times
Quote:
^^

So what you're saying is that if he spends a billion or 2 on funding Democratic races, like he did in 2020, or expensive ads for Biden, it would have no effect on the election this year?
As numerous forum posts indicate, Trumpers are convinced that the only way Biden will get another term is if the Democrats (sometimes with the help of "RINOs") are able to cheat by manipulating vote outcomes in enough critical places. But they are for the most part confident it won't work, since the general consensus is that Biden is mentally inadequate, corrupt and incompetent. And the vast majority of the national and swing state polls, for what they are worth, support their beliefs as Trump is largely ahead of Biden.

Old 03-16-2024, 10:48 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
As numerous forum posts indicate, Trumpers are convinced that the only way Biden will get another term is if the Democrats (sometimes with the help of "RINOs") are able to cheat by manipulating vote outcomes in enough critical places. But they are for the most part confident it won't work, since the general consensus is that Biden is mentally inadequate, corrupt and incompetent. And the vast majority of the national and swing state polls, for what they are worth, support their beliefs as Trump is largely ahead of Biden.
So Trump is considered by general consensus according to you to be the polar opposite? That's definitely parallel dimension worthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections