Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM

29 posts, read 115,727 times

Advertisements

Whoa. HIGH!Lonesome and Chuco, did you see that Earl Turner posted the exact same reply in the "Is This What Most of El Paso Looks Like?" thread? Word for word.

Every city has its good and bad. But there are some views in El Paso that can only be described as breathtakingly beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,913,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Turner View Post
Can somebody post a picture looking over the river from El Paso at dawn?
You get to notice these really thick clouds that choke El Paso/Juarez an stay they until they get blown away by wind by 10am.
Really beautiful. Or how bout the dust storms that envelope this city for two months out of the year. Everything covered in dirt and you can hardly breath the air, and the gusts of hot stinking wind blows over 18 wheelers on the freeway. Gotta love it.
Or take a picture of every single large parking lot in El Paso filled with trash. And a bum on every corner.
Oh, and every time it rains it floods every street for a day. Been here 9 years and the same spots have still never ever been fixed.
Its just so beautiful, if you are into that whole 3rd world feel.
I respect your opinion because by looking at your IP address you are currently serving in the military, or in some form working for our government. If you are indeed serving in our armed forces, I'd like to say thank you for your service.

I do disagree with your take on El Paso though. I have never been there but have found the following very positive things about El Paso through my research.

*The city has an extremely low crime rate. The city must have something going right. And I mean really, really low crime rate.

*The desert vistas are phenomenal.

*Mild Winters.

*Hot summers I'm sure, but with the high altitude and low humidity, I'd bet that El Paso feels much cooler in the summer than Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, Houston, or San Antonio.

*Sunsets that are phenomenal

*Good people. Good people. Good people. I've found the people on this forum as friendly as my home state of Oklahoma, and brother that is saying a lot.

*Probably the best Mexican food in the entire United States.

El Paso, you look just fine to me.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:06 PM

11 posts, read 80,397 times
I thought it was equally important to allow outsiders to see alternate views of this city.
I really am a positive person, but Juarez looks just like any other town in the middle east to me.
I was born and raised in Tucson and a bit time in Phoenix, I cant compare them to El Paso fairly. To be totally fair, I didnt like the desert much in AZ either.
BUT, Phoenix and Tucson make the desert look pretty. They have exceptional clean up for their down town areas, hispanic heritage murals are placed all over the place, and even the Highway mediums have zero scaping with plenty of beautiful local flora.
About the friendlyness, I guess that just comes down to personal belief. I base mine on my experiences, and here in this town race and ethnicity have alot to do with the friendlyness factor. I can site tons of examples to you in a private message if you would like, but these are points of view for an alternate view.
Please take this as a constructive criticism of El Paso and not any type of emotional speech against the city. Thank you.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:48 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
I'm taking a guess but the road by your house in the photo is either Gateway North or South correct??

Old 01-06-2008, 06:38 AM

http://www.public.asu.edu/~mjones4/elpdem/images/HuecoMts_ElPaso.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-06-2008, 08:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Nice photos Synopsis !! Are you sure you live in Oklahoma and not El Paso ....lol.....

We forget that there are people back east or overseas who have never seen El Paso so it's nice to have these Photo threads. Again nice photos.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:45 AM

Thanks 6/3. I'm from Oklahoma but I have been living in Texas for the last 18 years or so (DFW). I lived in Reno, NV for several years and came to appreciate the desert. El Paso reminds me a lot of Reno; high altitude, low humidity, similar type of desert, and so on. I've become intrigued by El Paso over the last few years and would love to visit. Plus, I love Mexican food!

Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I'm taking a guess but the road by your house in the photo is either Gateway North or South correct??
Nope thats Trans-Mountain Road and Alcan street. right near the GECU building.

Yeah SYN some nice pictures.. I should get some of the interesting rock formations on Trans-Mountain road. Like the Elephant near the top or camel rock. I call it Mammoth rock. There is also one that looks like a sheep's head or if your perverted male private parts.. but I do really like the mammoth rock one.. think I will drive up and get pictures for you.

SYN my family is from Oklahoma.. Tulsa. Before that Kansas City. I have a really cool letter from my grandmothers side of the family from way back during covered wagon days crossing the country and fear of Indian attacks and all that. Its a real slice of history.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Nope thats Trans-Mountain Road and Alcan street. right near the GECU building.

Yeah SYN some nice pictures.. I should get some of the interesting rock formations on Trans-Mountain road. Like the Elephant near the top or camel rock. I call it Mammoth rock. There is also one that looks like a sheep's head or if your perverted male private parts.. but I do really like the mammoth rock one.. think I will drive up and get pictures for you.

SYN my family is from Oklahoma.. Tulsa. Before that Kansas City. I have a really cool letter from my grandmothers side of the family from way back during covered wagon days crossing the country and fear of Indian attacks and all that. Its a real slice of history.
Small world! Tulsa is my adopted hometown; I'm originally from Southeastern Oklahoma (near the Ouachita Mountains) and love the country but if I were going to live in a bigger city Tulsa is my kind of place. I lived there for several years and would love to go back. The only thing keeping me from it is we are too entrenched in the DFW area with our daughter. In a few years when she's out of the house, we may be moving back to Tulsa.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,950,515 times
Yeah its a wonderful place.. I remember as a small kid going up there all the time with my grandmother. We used to walk to the corner five and dime and get a homemade soda, and a big pickle and walk back. There was a small stream behind the house there I used to play in. My grandmother had 12 sisters.. the Redd family.. they used to be well known in the area.. all of them gone my grandmother being the last to go. Her dad was a Pastor in the area.

Have you been on the Will Rogers Turnpike and stopped at the Worlds Largest McDonald's that spans the turnpike? What a cool place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso