Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 10:08 AM

51,171 posts, read 24,630,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
For any characteristic whether it be intelligence, "drive" (however you want to define that), social skills, etc., 68% of the population falls within 1 standard deviation of the mean and 95% within two standard deviations. Assuming that you or your children are +3 or +4 SDs from the mean, and then indoctrinating them into an anti-education mindset on the assumption that "they will succeed without it", seems to me a very very big bet with very very big stakes, against the reality that most people are more or less average.
nicely written
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2024, 10:09 AM

51,171 posts, read 24,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You didn't ask a question. I'll be happy to discuss issues with you if you like. We're not in 7th grade anymore. Parents are adults too and no longer have to just agree with the teacher.
This implied my question: "I don't care what initiatives you're involved in. I might care what you've accomplished in educational reform."

Old 05-15-2024, 11:31 AM

5,533 posts, read 7,827,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Get a real (relevant) job.

While attending college.

No free rides.
No free lunches

168hrs in each week, use each hour to benefit others (and thus, your good health and future of your community).
The majority of college students do work while attending college. According to the Census bureau it is about 40% of full time students and 80% of part time students.

But there is a counterpoint which is that about 20% of students who work during college do not finish their degrees on time or ever. So working during college does reduce college success.

I'm not sure which world you are talking about where there are lots of free rides and free lunches. It isn't the world any of the rest of us live in. The only kids who get free rides and free lunches in this country are the children of the wealthy. Are you advocating some sort of punitive redistribution of wealth to prevent that from happening?

Last edited by texasdiver; 05-15-2024 at 12:22 PM..

Old 05-15-2024, 11:58 AM

17,600 posts, read 16,733,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The majority of college students do work while attending college. According to the Census bureau it is about 40% of full time students and 80% of part time students.

But there is a counterpoint which is that about 20% of students who work during college do not finish their degrees on time or ever. So working during college does reduce college success.

I'm not sure which world you are talking about where there are lots of free rides and free lunches. It isn't the world any of the rest of us live in. The only kids who get free rides and free lunches in this country are the children of the wealthy. Are you advocating some sort of punitive redistribution of wealth in this country to prevent that from happening?
I wonder what percentage of college students who do not work during college do not finish their degrees on time or ever, though.

Old 05-15-2024, 12:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,820 posts, read 58,384,592 times
Quote:
I'm not sure which world you are talking about where there are lots of free rides and free lunches. It isn't the world any of the rest of us live in.
As you stated...
Quote:
Go to college (with probably very decent financial aid?)
Just that "dream jobs only arrive when you actually are working a J-O-B, not somehow miraculously 'hatched' while attending USA edu for 16-20 yrs.

Your example student does not need to complete college (tho probably a good idea while there). With immigrant entrepreneur parents, she's at little risk of failing to make the most appropriate choices to assure her future. Well over 1/2 my 'successful' business consultant and mentoring clients are immigrants. They are motivated, resourceful, disciplined, and.. they can count and do math (and understand finances). Something not very frequently found in USA K-20 grads (?).

She'll be fine (and possibly more successful) without our meddling or speculation.

I find it very rare for kids to follow the career path of parents. (Dentists and educators excluded). There are very good and obvious reasons for that. QoL choices.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:21 PM

5,533 posts, read 7,827,094 times
Quote:
Your example student does not need to complete college (tho probably a good idea while there). With immigrant entrepreneur parents, she's at little risk of failing to make the most appropriate choices to assure her future
Her immigrant parents (or parent) are INTENSELY motivated to see her attend and graduate from college. Because they know better than the rest of us what kind of opportunity it provides compared to joining the labor force at age 18 like they did.

Old 05-15-2024, 01:45 PM

4,652 posts, read 2,805,177 times
Quote:
Her immigrant parents (or parent) are INTENSELY motivated to see her attend and graduate from college. Because they know better than the rest of us what kind of opportunity it provides compared to joining the labor force at age 18 like they did.
It may be that the one parent in this case could be considered an "entrepreneur" in that she cleans houses for a living. But while that is a small business, it's a small business that she keeps going purely by the sweat of her brow. When she's 60 it may not be working so well any more.

Like it or not, for children of immigrant parents, in this day and age higher education is a way to get ahead, since they don't have the connections other parents may have. Not everyone - in fact, I'd say only a few people - has all the things it takes to be making a good reliable income without manual labor at 50 purely by "starting a business and making it grow". There are a whole suite of personal characteristics (ability to work extreme hours for years; social skills to hustle business; ability to supervise others; tolerance for risk) and skills (money management for a small business, managing others, etc.) that don't often all come together. I don't know what the failure rate for new business startups is but it's quite high.

Telling your kids "you don't need higher education, just go out and do your own thing, all that education/8 to 5 job stuff is for suckers" is making a bet, a bet with their lives not yours, that they're in that +3 SD group that actually can make a go of it without a regular W-2 job.

Old 05-15-2024, 02:18 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,820 posts, read 58,384,592 times
Of course immigrants are huge on college, because they have so much already invested in their kids. Many other countries require PAYMENT to get your kid in the best 'public' schools available. We had 3 generations of public school teachers from India staying with us at Christmas. USA College was cheap (and necessary / expected with no questions asked) for their 3 kids they sent to USA for college. Not that college had anything to do with the 'dream' (?) jobs they are now working in the USA. (2 are physicians). Education was a tool, discipline was essential, results.... Vary, but as with most... Their comments were, "I wish I would (could) have followed my heart". That ain't happening for those driven to meet parent's objectives. In the USA that is optional. No so in many countries. All the foreign national kids are pretty successful, and well educated. Happy/ 'dream jobs' (?). Many are staying to avoid conscription.

Old 05-15-2024, 04:28 PM

4,652 posts, read 2,805,177 times
Quote:
...Not that college had anything to do with the 'dream' (?) jobs they are now working in the USA. (2 are physicians)....:
Ummm, are you somehow completely unaware of the process of becoming a physician? Pretty much 100.000% of physicians licensed in the USA in the last 100 years have had a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.

Old 05-15-2024, 04:40 PM

19,988 posts, read 18,290,622 times
Quote:
I buy this 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education