Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 05:59 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
So respecting the religion of the majority in schools is good, while respecting the religion of the minority in schools is bad?
I don’t know that we should be changing school policy for all students and teachers to follow religious edicts. I could be wrong but it seems like this would be awfully close to violating the establishment clause of the 1st amendment.

Last edited by TXRunner; 03-12-2024 at 06:33 AM..

Old 03-12-2024, 07:11 AM

8,053 posts, read 7,419,522 times
A ban on music in public schools for an entire month seems a bit much.

Where I'm from the public schools close on Jewish holidays (Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah) and major Christian holidays like Christmas and Good Friday (spring break). Another poster mentioned that NYC schools close for "the two holiest days" of Ramadan, which seems reasonable if you have a large enough minority.

On Good Friday, if schools are open, Catholic and other Christian doctrines would impose silence from the hours of noon to 3:00PM. That would mean no pep rallies, no gym classes, and no music. Better to just close the school that day.

Here in East Stroudsburg, PA back in 1994 there was a controversy when the first day of school was scheduled for Rosh Hashanah. That was because there were no Jews on the school board and the calendar they used to plan the year didn't include Jewish holidays. It was too late to change when community members brought it to the attention of the board, and that was that.

So I'd be in favor of closing the schools to include minority religions, but not in favor of banning music.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:27 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I don’t know that we should be changing school policy for all students and teachers to follow religious edicts. I could be wrong but it seems like this would be awfully close to violating the establishment clause of the 1st amendment.
And yet we have what used to be called "Christmas vacation", and odd how spring break always seems to happen at christian Easter time.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:51 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I think this would be something you should bring up to your local school board.

Watch out though... that might not have the effect you seem to desire.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:55 AM

12,835 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
So respecting the religion of the majority in schools is good, while respecting the religion of the minority in schools is bad?
Since when does the public school system respect the majority religion? You can't have it both ways.

Quote:
And yet we have what used to be called "Christmas vacation", and odd how spring break always seems to happen at christian Easter time.
"Used to" is the key. But not anymore. And Spring Break hasn't been tied to Easter since I was a kid.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:01 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And Spring Break hasn't been tied to Easter since I was a kid.
Still is in my area!

Old 03-12-2024, 08:06 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
It was bound to happen. Having spent 17 years in a Muslim majority country, I knew that it wouldn't take more than a percent or two of Muslims in an area of the USA to start dictating terms. They are accommodated by the virtue-signaling whites who do not realize the end game. Good luck with that!

It is amazing how those who want exclusion of Christianity from the schools via "separation of church and state" are so easy to kowtow to Islam being in the schools.

Case in point: In a Minnesota school district, Muslim children are explicitly excluded from LGBTQ++ teaching; Christian children are not allowed to be excluded.

Old 03-12-2024, 08:08 AM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Since when does the public school system respect the majority religion? You can't have it both ways.

"Used to" is the key. But not anymore. And Spring Break hasn't been tied to Easter since I was a kid.
Agreed.

Easter is March 31, 2024. In NY, spring break begins on April 22, 2024.

In MA, spring break always begins on Patriots' Day. It's the third Monday of April and commemorates the battles of Lexington, Concord, and Menotomy, some of the first battles of the American Revolutionary War.

My NJ grammar school not give the Jewish holidays off. Well, in theory. So many kids were absent on Jewish holidays that it made no sense to teach the few gentiles. OTOH, our "Christmas" concert did not include any Christmas songs. There are the official policy and the reality of schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
The students have a study hall in the library during music classes during Ramadan.
The Muslim students should be sent to the library and the music class should continue. A month of no band practice is detrimental.

I would send a letter to the school board.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 03-12-2024 at 08:16 AM..

Old 03-12-2024, 09:25 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:

Oh, so the school district where you live doesn't have at least a week off at christmas? I know better. And you know better, too.

And spring break for your school district is not the week before or the week after Easter Sunday?

Old 03-12-2024, 10:22 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I doubt they, public schools, would extend such measures towards Christian, catholic, or Jewish students.
Yes they do.

In fact most academic calendars make Christian holy days into official holidays. Two weeks off for the entire Christmas season of advent, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. Which also corresponds to Hanukah. And most schools typically provide Good Friday off as well. They don't call it a religious holiday but it is typically a snow makeup day or some such so Easter Weekend is always a 3-day holiday.

Most school districts and states also never schedule events on Sundays either. Games and such are often scheduled for Saturdays but not Sundays.

It is just so normal that you don't even recognize it as accommodating Christianity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education