Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 03:34 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times

Advertisements

How about parents raise their kids instead? Why are they teaching this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 03:48 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
How about parents raise their kids instead? Why are they teaching this stuff?
If you're really asking...

Schools don't really want to teach sex ed (as one example), but all too many parents don't educate their kids about the topic, so it's either the schools take up the job or nobody does it.

Old 04-09-2024, 03:52 PM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Schools don't really want to teach sex ed (as one example), but all too many parents don't educate their kids about the topic, so it's either the schools take up the job or nobody does it.
Nor do they want to teach manners, how to share, how to sit quietly, how to use deodorant, how to rationally interact with others, how to follow directions, yet those are but a few examples of parent responsibilities that have devolved to the schools (as you well know).

Then there's this:

https://www.pbisrewards.com/

Old 04-09-2024, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Nor do they want to teach manners, how to share, how to sit quietly, how to use deodorant, how to rationally interact with others, how to follow directions, yet those are but a few examples of parent responsibilities that have devolved to the schools (as you well know).

Then there's this:

https://www.pbisrewards.com/
At first glance, it sounds like 'buying' good behavior. Or am I wrong?

Old 04-09-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
At first glance, it sounds like 'buying' good behavior. Or am I wrong?
I don't know. Our guys could screw up a one float parade and the PBIS program was never really implemented.

We had periodic classroom meetings with a class about it, had to mention the day's "theme" in every class, have your class's signed PBIS Pledge posted in a conspicuous place on a bulletin board.

We only had to do it the second time (everyone had to for the first round but we got out of it after a couple years due to our compliance with the metrics) because the Attendance Secretary didn't keep up with her recordkeeping and our attendance rate fell out of compliance.

Old 04-09-2024, 06:48 PM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
IMO, the last thing we need is this sort of “Life Curriculum” where parents abrogate more and more of their responsibilities onto schools. What do parents have left to teach? They may as well hand their infants off to the schools soon after birth if this is to be the case…

One exception: I’m a big proponent of Reproductive Education that is effective (not ineffective, like abstinence only) in lowering teen pregnancy and STD rates, which can be effectively integrated into an academic subject such as biology, or A&P, without much diversionary hassle.

Old 04-09-2024, 07:11 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:

True. Prude parents won't acknowledge that. I suppose that applies to other things.

Old 04-09-2024, 10:36 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
It's amazing to me how much of this stuff already is being taught in schools. There are honestly few subjects being listed here that are not covered.

Now... do the kids actually LEARN and USE everything that is being taught? No. And I doubt they did so back in the day either.

Old 04-09-2024, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
It's amazing to me how much of this stuff already is being taught in schools. There are honestly few subjects being listed here that are not covered.

Now... do the kids actually LEARN and USE everything that is being taught? No. And I doubt they did so back in the day either.
And yet many of our posters don't believe that this material is being taught.

Old 04-10-2024, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post

Quote:
And yet many of our posters don't believe that this material is being taught.
Remember, they/we don't teach Civics any longer. The name has changed, in Maryland to Local, State and National Government but it's not called "Civics" so it's not taught.

Or Home Economics. That's now called Family and Consumer Science but not Home Ec so it's not taught. And let's not forget Sewing which is now Fashion Design (where the students design and make their own clothes). But it's not called "Sewing".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education