Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2024, 07:51 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
We don't have to look far. Just look to poor neighborhoods where many, if not most, parents are working two jobs and are not home Saturdays and often not Sundays.
Now they want to leave them alone another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2024, 08:46 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Once again you start out by arguing a child care angle. What do they do when school lets out and they're not home from work (or the bar) when their kid gets home?

I'm not an advocate at all for a four day week and believe many of the benefits are overstated.
Around here they have after school programs that run until about 5 or 530. So many kids are in them that one year ours asked to be in it just so they'd have friends to play with. She got tired of sitting around the house after school because all her friends where in the program.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:12 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
This is ENTIRELY a money saving measure by mostly rural districts in red states. It lets them cut costs by paying everyone less from teachers to custodians to cafeteria workers to bus drivers.

Despite whatever mumbo jumble they might voice about the educational benefits of 4-day school, it is all utter BS.

When you see elite private college prep schools moving to 4-day weeks you will know it is for educational purposes. They would laugh at you if you suggested it.

Old 03-02-2024, 10:18 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,728,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You'd save some on transportation and utilities but you'd likely have to increase salaries to compensate for the longer school day as well as running utilities longer.
What actually happens is that hourly wage workers (custodians, maintenance, bus drivers, cafeteria workers) just get paid less.

Salaried workers like teachers generally don't get pay cuts. But it lets districts with teacher shortages (due to low pay) continue to pay less because a 4-day work week for salaried teachers is more attractive than a 5-day work week for the same pay. So they can cast a wider recruiting net and say "we can't pay as much as that neighboring affluent suburban school that has school 5-days a week, but if you come work for us, every weekend will be a 3-day weekend." And there are lots of teachers who will take that tradeoff. And possibly drive further for the opportunity to have a 4-day work week.

I'm a teacher and I'd be happy with a 4-day work week for the same pay for selfish reasons. But I don't think for an instant it would be better for the kids.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:06 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
I wonder how these kids will handle the real world that works five days a week.

Old 03-03-2024, 08:47 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Just like every generation before them. It's not the kids making these decisions.

Old 03-04-2024, 10:51 AM

423 posts, read 265,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
What actually happens is that hourly wage workers (custodians, maintenance, bus drivers, cafeteria workers) just get paid less.

Salaried workers like teachers generally don't get pay cuts. But it lets districts with teacher shortages (due to low pay) continue to pay less because a 4-day work week for salaried teachers is more attractive than a 5-day work week for the same pay. So they can cast a wider recruiting net and say "we can't pay as much as that neighboring affluent suburban school that has school 5-days a week, but if you come work for us, every weekend will be a 3-day weekend." And there are lots of teachers who will take that tradeoff. And possibly drive further for the opportunity to have a 4-day work week.

I'm a teacher and I'd be happy with a 4-day work week for the same pay for selfish reasons. But I don't think for an instant it would be better for the kids.
I’ve read of a few districts in my state that are moving to this. They are lengthening the school day, so the kids are not in class for fewer hours in any given week. I’m curious how the whole thing will turn out.

I must say that I would prefer having one weekday off each week, if I were a teacher. You could get your appointments all done that day.

It seems like some SAHMs would offer to take in people’s kids for that one day a week for $$.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:10 AM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Where is this happening?
Nothing like that anywhere near me.
In 2022, 25 percent of Missouri districts were four day

https://www.news-leader.com/story/ne...ks/6694742001/

There are many rural districts in Kansas doing this as well. They are saving a ton on transportation.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:19 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Poorly, especially as Missouri is among the lowest ranked states for education as it is.

Old 03-04-2024, 11:24 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Just what America's youth need- more time not in school.
The dumbing down of America. The plan is going along perfectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education